Nikon D5100 to Fuji X-E1? Opinions?

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions
John
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
Nikon D5100 to Fuji X-E1? Opinions?
Mar 14, 2013

Hi,

I tend to shoot a lot of scenery, landscapes, flowers, and buildings (with the occasional family photo) and lately I've been getting kind of frustrated with my Nikon D5100.  The last couple of outings (sunset or orchid festival) where color was hard to properly get just right had me somewhat less than enthusiastic about my D5100.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of times the results of my D5100 were great, but under tough lighting condition I would often wind up doing a lot of photoshopping to get the results tweaked the way I wanted.

So a few weekends ago, I looked through all the pictures I took over about a decade with an older Canon DSLR (dont remember the model off hand), Nikon D60, Sigma DP1, Fuji F20 (yes a P&S), and Nikon D5100, and you know which camera to me had the best results out of camera consistently?  In my opinion the Fuji F20!

Since it's been a while as I looked at Fuji (almost bought a used S3 a while ago), I came across the X-E1.  Between the smaller package (since now I'm using my camera more on travel and hiking) and Fuji's color balance that I remember, I'm almost ready to sell my existing Nikon setup and replace it with the Fuji X-E1.

So my question is am I crazy for swapping the Nikon D5100 for a Fuji X-E1 based on color results?  I like the Fuji form factor already, especially for hiking, but is the color balance noticeably better under tough lighting conditions?  How does focusing compare?  Or am I making a lot out of nothing?

I know some items (such as resolution) are about awash.  Any other IQ differentiators which one is better than the other from personal experience?

Actually I would love to have both, but getting that past the wife would be pretty much out of the picture right now.

Thanks much in advance

John

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3 Sigma DP1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ealvarez
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: Nikon D5100 to Fuji X-E1? Opinions?
In reply to John, Mar 14, 2013

John wrote:

Hi,

I tend to shoot a lot of scenery, landscapes, flowers, and buildings (with the occasional family photo) and lately I've been getting kind of frustrated with my Nikon D5100. The last couple of outings (sunset or orchid festival) where color was hard to properly get just right had me somewhat less than enthusiastic about my D5100. Don't get me wrong, a lot of times the results of my D5100 were great, but under tough lighting condition I would often wind up doing a lot of photoshopping to get the results tweaked the way I wanted.

So a few weekends ago, I looked through all the pictures I took over about a decade with an older Canon DSLR (dont remember the model off hand), Nikon D60, Sigma DP1, Fuji F20 (yes a P&S), and Nikon D5100, and you know which camera to me had the best results out of camera consistently? In my opinion the Fuji F20!

Since it's been a while as I looked at Fuji (almost bought a used S3 a while ago), I came across the X-E1. Between the smaller package (since now I'm using my camera more on travel and hiking) and Fuji's color balance that I remember, I'm almost ready to sell my existing Nikon setup and replace it with the Fuji X-E1.

So my question is am I crazy for swapping the Nikon D5100 for a Fuji X-E1 based on color results? I like the Fuji form factor already, especially for hiking, but is the color balance noticeably better under tough lighting conditions? How does focusing compare? Or am I making a lot out of nothing?

I know some items (such as resolution) are about awash. Any other IQ differentiators which one is better than the other from personal experience?

Actually I would love to have both, but getting that past the wife would be pretty much out of the picture right now.

Thanks much in advance

John

I don't have X-E1 but I have X100S  I think they're similar in terms of IQ. And I have used D7000 which I think higher end camera than D5100. I would pick XE-1 over D7000 in term of color, wb, ISO, in camera flash etc any day. The only bad thing about Fuji X series in comparison to Nikon D90/7000is the AF-C system that sucks. Everything else comparing between them, FUJI is MUCH better IMO.

Cheers,

Val

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,438Gear list
Like?

If you don't like fiddling with photoshop the X-E1 has a huge advantage relative to colors.  Fuji knows how to do colors better than anyone, IMHO.  It isn't perfect, however and can still mess up white balance, but generally I find it yields jpegs that require less tweaking than my other cameras.

You do have to be ready to give up a lot of focus performance.  I've been shooting digital since the first VGA cameras came out and it's been quite a few years since I dealt with one that focuses as sluggishly as the X-E1.  Mind you, if light and contrast are available, it is snappy enough, but in more difficult situations it will hunt and give up far more often than anything else I own now.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,620Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Mar 14, 2013

I have D800E and Sony RX100, XE1 and XE1 gives the most pleasing ooc colours in all lights. D800E is best at everything ultimately. XE1 in particular gets colour right in difficult lighting better than the others.

Greg.

Drew5100
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?

I had to return my first X-E1 kit due to lens failure, but my second kit and an added 35mm prime are terrific (along with an adapted Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar).  No regrets moving on from mirrored DSLRs (Former owner of D5100 as well as Pentax K-5), and since I don't need more AF speed, I'll be staying with the Fuji system.  Also, in terms of AF, when the X-E1 hits focus it's really on - no front or back focus lens adjustment issues, which I had to deal with in Pentax lenses.

Now, I'm considering buying either another X-E1 body or waiting to see what Fuji will offer with the next X-Pro version.

Bottom line - if you need hyper-AF speed for sports, go with a super fast-AF system, maybe full frame sensor (I say super-fast, because I don't find my X-E1 lenses that slow!!).   If you have no need for hyper-speed, go with the best IQ available - Fuji.   Either the X-Pro 1 or the X-E1 can deliver in this regard, and you get the best available lens system for digital APS-C cameras.  Just remember to do the firmware upgrades, and I think you'd be very happy.

Drew5100's gear list:Drew5100's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,470Gear list
Like?
I did not sell my 7D....

Perhaps my wife understands my needs better ; - )

and selling good but old lenses is not a very good deal... and now i do not have to BUY so many new lenses for Fuji...

Fuji X-E1 feels like a perfect camera for traveling, hiking and just walking around, landscapes and streets . I had a G1X for that , but i could not  really use the lcd as viewfinder  ... EVF of x-E1 is surprisingly good !

18-55 is very usable - perhaps i can afford the Fujinon 10-24 when it comes.

I still like my 7D and it is a very good system  when i can carry a backpack/big bag  or if i need /want shoot something moving or some fast action - some seabirds or nature/wildlife closeups outdoors

Longer  tele lenses and zooms  are big and heavy - X-E1 is not very good for that kind of work - and the whole idea of small portable camera disappears. X-E1 is vey good for traveling light  with just one or two lenses  - not even a  flash needed!

One of my first images with X-E1 - test day No 1

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, 40D since 2007, and now 7D !
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Rip777s
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to John, Mar 15, 2013

I began my photography learning curve a year and a half ago with a D5100.  And got my X-E1 last November.  Thought I could give you a picture from both.  These are both OOC jpegs.

The first shot was at a parade last year with the D5100

2012 Golden Dragon Parade LA Chinatown

The second was this year with the X-E1

2013 Golden Dragon Parade LA Chinatown 

Take your pick.

Rip777s's gear list:Rip777s's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 +2 more
itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Try renting one and see if it does any better under the conditions you care about. You might find that a different camera body alone doesn't resolve the issue. The D5100 is a pretty nice camera, and so is the X-E1. Fuji colors are legendary, but Nikon know what they're doing as well.

John
Like?

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  I'm looking at renting a X-E1 right now...

Still on the fence with this one.  Actually I may trade my 5100 more on the merits portability (taking pics while hiking, travel, etc) than just color alone. I'm getting rapidly tired of hauling the D5100 + two lenses on hiking trips...

99% of the time not taking pictures of moving subjects, but focus hunting bugs me.  OTOH I have lenses which have to be manually focused on the D5100 anyways, so if I can manual focus the X-E1, that's OK with me.

The issue I have with color is a tough one to define what I'm talking about.  And it may be just me.  When I take a picture of a subject with what I call "obvious" colors (large areas of bright colors, a color chart is a good example), the Nikon (D60/D5100) and Fuji (F20) does equally well.  The D5100 does snaps of family gatherings well.  When I have taken pictures of landscapes, sometimes certain colors (especially yellows) on my D60/D5100 are different between cameras.  Here's an example...

D60 (D5100 does the same thing BTW)

Fuji F20

I don't know if I'm just being picky, but the greens (especially the blue-greens of the lupine leaves) and yellows seem a bit more pleasing and better rendered than the Nikon.  And this is not the only example I can give on this one.  Some say they can't tell the difference...  So I don't know.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,354Gear list
Like?

John wrote:

Hi,

I tend to shoot a lot of scenery, landscapes, flowers, and buildings (with the occasional family photo) and lately I've been getting kind of frustrated with my Nikon D5100. The last couple of outings (sunset or orchid festival) where color was hard to properly get just right had me somewhat less than enthusiastic about my D5100. Thanks much in advance

John

Not sure but color issues you described could be a result of a blown channel which is not uncommon on sunrise/sunset shots and colorful flowers. Look at the RGB histogram to see if a channel, like the red channel is clipped (skies might have the blue channel clipped). That can shift color and/or clip out detail that was in the channel. I remember this was a slight issue for my with my Nikon D70 which did not show an RGB histogram (neither does the Fuji X bodies).

If that is the case you might need to under expose, or better, shoot a bracketed set and compare colors with problem shots. I do not have a D5100 but i do have a D300 and also have a XE1. haven't used my D300 in 3 months since I got the XE1.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 15, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

John wrote:

Hi,

I tend to shoot a lot of scenery, landscapes, flowers, and buildings (with the occasional family photo) and lately I've been getting kind of frustrated with my Nikon D5100. The last couple of outings (sunset or orchid festival) where color was hard to properly get just right had me somewhat less than enthusiastic about my D5100. Thanks much in advance

John

Not sure but color issues you described could be a result of a blown channel which is not uncommon on sunrise/sunset shots and colorful flowers. Look at the RGB histogram to see if a channel, like the red channel is clipped (skies might have the blue channel clipped). That can shift color and/or clip out detail that was in the channel. I remember this was a slight issue for my with my Nikon D70 which did not show an RGB histogram (neither does the Fuji X bodies).

If that is the case you might need to under expose, or better, shoot a bracketed set and compare colors with problem shots. I do not have a D5100 but i do have a D300 and also have a XE1. haven't used my D300 in 3 months since I got the XE1.

Just looked at the shot you posted and the blue channel is clipped - so color shift is expected

Blue channel is blown out

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
e268
Senior MemberPosts: 1,218
Like?

John wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm looking at renting a X-E1 right now...

Still on the fence with this one. Actually I may trade my 5100 more on the merits portability (taking pics while hiking, travel, etc) than just color alone. I'm getting rapidly tired of hauling the D5100 + two lenses on hiking trips...

99% of the time not taking pictures of moving subjects, but focus hunting bugs me. OTOH I have lenses which have to be manually focused on the D5100 anyways, so if I can manual focus the X-E1, that's OK with me.

The issue I have with color is a tough one to define what I'm talking about. And it may be just me. When I take a picture of a subject with what I call "obvious" colors (large areas of bright colors, a color chart is a good example), the Nikon (D60/D5100) and Fuji (F20) does equally well. The D5100 does snaps of family gatherings well. When I have taken pictures of landscapes, sometimes certain colors (especially yellows) on my D60/D5100 are different between cameras. Here's an example...

D60 (D5100 does the same thing BTW)

Fuji F20

I don't know if I'm just being picky, but the greens (especially the blue-greens of the lupine leaves) and yellows seem a bit more pleasing and better rendered than the Nikon. And this is not the only example I can give on this one. Some say they can't tell the difference... So I don't know.

It is hard to tell which photo here represent the real color.  You really have to remember which one represent the real situation more accurately.  Looking at them now is only a matter of preference.

I have a D80 and X-E1. I resisted upgrading to D7000 due to its problems (oil and dust and backfocus issues).  I also needed to have a light camera for travel.  I could have upgraded to D5100 since it is quite light and free of the issues as in D7000, but I have D type of lenses which D5100 cannot drive.  Like you, I am more of scenery and street guy.  So I bought X-E1 and it perfectly fits my needs.  I still keep D80 for situations that needs fast AFC.  I also bought a cheap Nikon to Fuji adapter so I can use the Nikon lenses on the X-E1.  So, it really depends on your needs whether you should buy X-E1 or upgrade to D5200, D71000, D600, etc.  There is no doubt that all these are great cameras.  But, one thing stands out for the X-E1 which is the OOC jpeg.  I always take RAW with D80, and spend a lot of time on pp. Now, I just take jpeg on X-E1, very minimum pp, save a lot of time for other things.

John
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 15, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

John wrote:

Hi,

I tend to shoot a lot of scenery, landscapes, flowers, and buildings (with the occasional family photo) and lately I've been getting kind of frustrated with my Nikon D5100. The last couple of outings (sunset or orchid festival) where color was hard to properly get just right had me somewhat less than enthusiastic about my D5100. Thanks much in advance

John

Just looked at the shot you posted and the blue channel is clipped - so color shift is expected

Blue channel is blown out

Thanks for the catch!  I'll have to look at this more closely and play around with this more...

John
Like?

BTW Here's another D60 shot slightly less exposed (no blue blowout on this picture due to the brightly lit sky in the upper left).  Pretty much the same look as the previous example...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads