Is the "wow" factor gone from camera upgrading?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions
Ultradan
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?
Is the "wow" factor gone from camera upgrading?
Mar 13, 2013

I think the truth of the matter is that quality is so close across the entire ranges of digital SLR's these days, there is rarely any "wow" factor when people post photo's of their latest and greatest "upgrade", even with the top end models like the 1DX, D4 etc it is rare to see an image posted on here that really makes you think "money well spent". In my opinion this is because all of the great photo's that you see in life - you know the ones you look at and go "whoa", a scene from the front lines of war, nature in all it's glory, whatever, with these photo's it's the subject that really strikes you, be honest you never look at an amazing photo and go "oh that would have been way better on xyz camera do you?

It is my opinion that posting pictures online to show how well the latest eos or nikon looks really does little other than fuel the argument that you would have been better keeping your last camera - at least in 90% of cases, granted low light advances have been much needed and frame rates also for sports.

What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?

Canon EOS-1D Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,574Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the "wow" factor gone from camera upgrading?
In reply to Ultradan, Mar 13, 2013

Ultradan wrote:

I think the truth of the matter is that quality is so close across the entire ranges of digital SLR's these days, there is rarely any "wow" factor when people post photo's of their latest and greatest "upgrade",... granted low light advances have been much needed and frame rates also for sports...

I snipped the quote but overall you're completely right, with a few notable exceptions in the specific areas you mention. Low light imagery has come an amazingly far way in the last decade. ISO 6400 is now commonplace and no problem for top end bodies. ISO 104,000 is pretty usable even. Crazytown. Focus accuracy has also advanced leaps and bounds. In other areas not THAT much has changed.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Les Berkley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141
Like?

At web size, they won't look much different. Until you get to huge prints, most DSLR or MILF images will be indistinguishable one from another. Differences will exist at ISO 6400 or higher, but that's a very rare case. Otherwise, the alleged differences in Eye-Cue for various sensors won't stand up to a double-blind test.

Ultradan
Like?
In reply to Les Berkley, Mar 13, 2013

Les Berkley wrote:

At web size, they won't look much different. Until you get to huge prints, most DSLR or MILF images will be indistinguishable one from another. Differences will exist at ISO 6400 or higher, but that's a very rare case. Otherwise, the alleged differences in Eye-Cue for various sensors won't stand up to a double-blind test.

I think you hit the nail on the head, a 5dmk3 image and a 5dmk1 image would be totally indistinguishable from one another until you get to higher ISO's I suppose?

edispics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?

Excellent observations.

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,816
Like?
In reply to Les Berkley, Mar 13, 2013

Les Berkley wrote:

I contend they will be very distinguishable from each other. MILC images, however, will be pretty indistinguishable.

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,825Gear list
Like?
Not for me....quite.

Ultradan wrote:

I think the truth of the matter is that quality is so close across the entire ranges of digital SLR's these days, there is rarely any "wow" factor when people post photo's of their latest and greatest "upgrade", even with the top end models like the 1DX, D4 etc it is rare to see an image posted on here that really makes you think "money well spent". In my opinion this is because all of the great photo's that you see in life - you know the ones you look at and go "whoa", a scene from the front lines of war, nature in all it's glory, whatever, with these photo's it's the subject that really strikes you, be honest you never look at an amazing photo and go "oh that would have been way better on xyz camera do you?

It is my opinion that posting pictures online to show how well the latest eos or nikon looks really does little other than fuel the argument that you would have been better keeping your last camera - at least in 90% of cases, granted low light advances have been much needed and frame rates also for sports.

What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?

Since buying into Fuji's X system I can't wait for the new AF system to appear on their ICL cameras.

But I sure don't plan to invest any more in SLRs. D600 was a let down with it's dusty sensor, and I already have all the kit I need.

In SLR terms, they are all pretty good and upgrading really seems to lose you as much as it gains you a lot of the time.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ultradan, Mar 14, 2013

"Diminishing returns" all over again.

Remember back when even grandma was asking you whether to upgrade to that shiny new 166mhz computer she saw on the newspaper? now even professional software engineers, which are supposed to be the biggest technophiles ever, work on 5-years-old computers which they don't give a single thought on changing.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Ahender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554
Like?

If you want wow factor, you need to go to naturescapes.com.

johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to Ahender, Mar 14, 2013

Ahender wrote:

If you want wow factor, you need to go to naturescapes.com.

Very current!

http://www.naturescapes.net/articles/opinions/its-not-about-the-camera/

chooflaki
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?

I have noticed the Nikon flagship D4 perhaps due to its relatively modest megapixel count gets very little attention these days on this forum in comparison to the previous D3. Not long ago it seemed there were numerous comparisons with its predecessor D3 variations and other cameras and quite a few posters seemed to own one. Not many seem to own one these days. They are all flocking to the D800. Megapixels still rule.

But to the original question. Most modern bayer sensor camera photos do tend to look very similar. It would be near impossible to guess what camera took a particular photo. Photos have become generic. One has to go to quirkier camera manufacturers like Sigma or perhaps Fuji to see some brand signature difference in photos.

chooflaki's gear list:chooflaki's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +2 more
TRIODEROB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
In reply to chooflaki, Mar 14, 2013

If you want WOW go back to film.

look on flikr web pages and see what people do with medium format film these days scanned to digital.

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,285Gear list
Like?
I was certainly excited when I bought the OM-D E-M5!

Problem is the big manufacturers don't innovate, they make every new camera look like the previous one, BORING!

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,672
Like?

Ultradan wrote:

Stop posting pictures and start printing them.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 14, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Les Berkley wrote:

I contend they will be very distinguishable from each other. MILC images, however, will be pretty indistinguishable.

MILF... Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format (camera/system).

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
tmurph
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

Ultradan wrote:

Ultradan, upgrading wont make you a better photographer- I think, reading between the lines, you're already hinting at that- but an upgrade will help if the camera that you are using hasn't got certain facilities. Again though, I think you know that also. So at the end theres only one answer.

Its the individual photographer who can get the best out of the subject he or she sees. Its your end statement that stands out- "What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?" Ultradan, how can you tell the difference?

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,214Gear list
Like?

My reason for changing my camera was for comfort of use rather than an upgrade of specs. My 600D/T3i was messed up by Canon while in for repair & I ended up getting my money back from the excellent John Lewis store in UK. I decided to go for the larger 7D, as the arthritis in my hands & fingers was making it difficult to use some of the controls on the smaller 600D. That's all there was to it for me. It has made a big difference to my enjoyment of my photography though.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Ultradan
Like?
In reply to tmurph, Mar 14, 2013

"Its the individual photographer who can get the best out of the subject he or she sees. Its your end statement that stands out- "What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?" Ultradan, how can you tell the difference?"

- I cant, thats my whole point, but there are droves of posts from people putting up mediocre shots and asking what people think only to get upset when anyone points out that they look no different to anything a point and shoot or camera phone takes.

tmurph wrote:

Ultradan wrote:

Ultradan, upgrading wont make you a better photographer- I think, reading between the lines, you're already hinting at that- but an upgrade will help if the camera that you are using hasn't got certain facilities. Again though, I think you know that also. So at the end theres only one answer.

Its the individual photographer who can get the best out of the subject he or she sees. Its your end statement that stands out- "What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?" Ultradan, how can you tell the difference?

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

Probably because that's like asking for a movie review and getting a response of "it looks like anything shown on a LCD screen".

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Pitbullo
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?

Completely true!

The wow factor is in the picture, it´s story, not the technical details. And that is a good thing.

The last time I got a wow-moment from technical achievement was just after the 1DX was released. Someone posted pictures (I don´t remember where) from a tennis match, and the camera/autofocus managed to track the ball! Really impressive!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads