D600 Repair Experience: Mike's Camera

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,597
Like?
D600 Repair Experience: Mike's Camera
Mar 13, 2013

Note: I have no affiliation, financial, personal or otherwise with Mike's Camera, a chain with stores in Northern California and Colorado USA.

I gave up on the D600 oil issue and brought my D600 to the repair shop in the Mike's Camera Boulder, CO store on Feb 26, 2013 where I purchased the camera in late October 2012.

The technicians knew well of the problem and shipped it to the Nikon repair facility in California. The repair ticket included with my camera specified "repair and clean".

I called Mike's Camera one week after the D600 was shipped and asked for a status report. The techs checked with Nikon and found the camera had not yet been logged in. They called me back 48 hours after my inquiry to let me know what Nikon had told them.

13 days after the D600 was shipped, Mike's Camera called me to let me know the camera was now back in the shop, ready for pickup. I was out of town and had to wait.

I picked up the D600 today, March 13, 2013 and the Mike's Camera techs were surprised with the factory servicing notes. The technicians were expecting to see something like "remove and replace (R&R) the mirror assembly and cleaned sensor". That's been what Mike's Camera has been seeing when a D600 comes back from Nikon service.

My D600 repair notes said:

Replaced SHUTTER mechanism

Checked AF

Checked flash

Checked exposure

Cleaned Sensor

Please note that in my D600's case, the mirror assembly was not the source of oil (I am inferring).

After a few hundred exposures, I'll do the dreaded f/22 OOF sky shot and see what the results produce.

I have the highest regard for the people at Mike's Camera in Boulder. They were very considerate and understanding to the point of being apologetic for the D600's well documented problems.

I'll report back here with the results of the factory fix in a few weeks or less.

Note to Moderator: I am posting this in a couple of other threads where participants asked me to report my service experience.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris in Sacto
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Re: D600 Repair Experience: Mike's Camera
In reply to Lucky Sky, Mar 13, 2013

Thank you for posting. It's nice to hear something positive on this. There is a Mike's Camera, not too far from where I live. They recently opened a store here last year. I'll have to pay them a visit in the near future and see what they have to offer.  Please keep us updated on the performance of your camera.

-C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
great

but why did they replace the shutter mechanism ?

I had a few oil spots and used 2 swabs, now it is clean but I dont know for how long.

Checked AF

Checked flash

Checked exposure

Cleaned Sensor

Please note that in my D600's case, the mirror assembly was not the source of oil (I am inferring).

After a few hundred exposures, I'll do the dreaded f/22 OOF sky shot and see what the results produce.

I have the highest regard for the people at Mike's Camera in Boulder. They were very considerate and understanding to the point of being apologetic for the D600's well documented problems.

I'll report back here with the results of the factory fix in a few weeks or less.

Note to Moderator: I am posting this in a couple of other threads where participants asked me to report my service experience.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?

Checked AF

Checked flash

Checked exposure

Cleaned Sensor

You could expedite the test by firing off say 50 shots with the lens pointing up. 

BTW, simply out of curiosity is your shutter count reset to zero after the replacement?

Lucky Sky
Like?
Re: great
In reply to Deleted-pending, Mar 13, 2013

FTH wrote:

but why did they replace the shutter mechanism ?

I can only guess...........did they first replace the shutter mechanism only to find that it was still kicking out oil on to the sensor? Did they then move on to the shutter mechanism to find success when they replaced it??

Who's to know, except maybe I'll find out when I start using the camera tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Lucky Sky
Like?
In reply to Prairie Pal, Mar 13, 2013

<

BTW, simply out of curiosity is your shutter count reset to zero after the replacement?>>

I'll do that if I can get to it before sundown.

How is it (I forget) that I get the shutter count? There's some software out there, right?

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Jolleyman
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?

This is the second report I've seen of a shutter replacement on the D600 sent in for oil/dust spots.

Dave Jolley

Jolleyman's gear list:Jolleyman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
In reply to Lucky Sky, Mar 14, 2013

Lucky Sky wrote:

<

BTW, simply out of curiosity is your shutter count reset to zero after the replacement?>>

I'll do that if I can get to it before sundown.

How is it (I forget) that I get the shutter count? There's some software out there, right?

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

opanda exif is free and great to know your shutter count

http://www.opanda.com/fr/iexif/index.html

Prairie Pal
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Mar 14, 2013

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

http://www.opanda.com/fr/iexif/index.html

Yep, that's what I use.  It's nice to have when you're buying or selling used equipment, and even when you're buying supposedly "new" equipment.  Plus if you're looking at another photographer's image online, it's just a right click away from knowing which camera and shooting information they used (assuming they left the exif into in tact).

Lucky Sky
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Mar 14, 2013

<<

http://www.opanda.com/fr/iexif/index.html>>

Great........... will try it tomorrow and report back.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Lucky Sky
Like?
Prarie Pal: 51 Exposures 80 Degrees "Nose Up"
In reply to Prairie Pal, Mar 14, 2013

Prarie Pal-

f/22 300mm defocused

Image number 50 had a bit of dust.......used the rocket blower and shot number 51.....no dust no oil. I look at the images in LR4 enlarged and the I work my way around with that X2 magnification left click all over the image and found zero dust or oil.

By now I can tell the diff between dust and oil........I found neither.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Lucky Sky
Like?
In reply to Chris in Sacto, Mar 14, 2013

Chris in Sacto wrote:

Thank you for posting. It's nice to hear something positive on this. There is a Mike's Camera, not too far from where I live. They recently opened a store here last year. I'll have to pay them a visit in the near future and see what they have to offer. Please keep us updated on the performance of your camera.

-C

Chris-

I know that I paid more for the cam at Mike's than I could online for the same item. I'm mighty glad that I did go to Mike's.........this service/repair experience has been about as easy as one could hope for. The most painful aspect was dropping the D600 off. After that it just got better and better. I intend on buying my next camera from Mike's in Boulder, CO.

One man's opinion..........

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Aaron01
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

Good to know they treated you right.  I went to the Denver store a few years ago and their prices were so high and the employees at that store seemed arrogant.  I never went back and I usually buy online since it's much easier for me to just place the order and it arrive at my house than drive all the way to the store.  I also sent a camera back to Nikon a few years back and it was easier for me to just send it once again than drive to the store to drop off and pickup.

But I'm getting older and crankier and don't like driving around much so that's just me.  If I get up to Boulder again I may stop by Mike's and check it out up there as it seems better than my Denver experience.  I don't get up to Boulder often, I'm to cranky to deal with the Boulder traffic.

Chris-

I know that I paid more for the cam at Mike's than I could online for the same item. I'm mighty glad that I did go to Mike's.........this service/repair experience has been about as easy as one could hope for. The most painful aspect was dropping the D600 off. After that it just got better and better. I intend on buying my next camera from Mike's in Boulder, CO.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Chris in Sacto
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?

Lucky Sky wrote:

Chris in Sacto wrote:

Thank you for posting. It's nice to hear something positive on this. There is a Mike's Camera, not too far from where I live. They recently opened a store here last year. I'll have to pay them a visit in the near future and see what they have to offer. Please keep us updated on the performance of your camera.

-C

Chris-

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Lucky Sky,

I know exactly what you're saying. I typically will buy from B&H, but if I need it "now" I'll drive over to my local camera shop. It's a small shop called Action Camera, where the owner will clean  your sensor for free. He's given me great service and I always try and buy something, even if it's just a small item like a camera strap or bag to try and help him out. Good customer service goes a long way with me.

-C

Prairie Pal
Like?
Re: Prarie Pal: 51 Exposures 80 Degrees "Nose Up"

Lucky Sky wrote:

Prarie Pal-

f/22 300mm defocused

Image number 50 had a bit of dust.......used the rocket blower and shot number 51.....no dust no oil. I look at the images in LR4 enlarged and the I work my way around with that X2 magnification left click all over the image and found zero dust or oil.

By now I can tell the diff between dust and oil........I found neither.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

That's great news Lucky Sky, and I appreciate your taking the time to do the test..  I'm very happy to know that, as I'm sure you are as well.  I'm hoping it goes as well when I send mine ine.

Lucky Sky
Like?
Re: Prarie Pal: 51 Exposures 80 Degrees "Nose Up"

That's great news Lucky Sky, and I appreciate your taking the time to do the test.. I'm very happy to know that, as I'm sure you are as well. I'm hoping it goes as well when I send mine ine.

Best of luck with the upcoming repair. I'll be waiting for your report & test results.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

Tsan
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?

Prairie Pal wrote:

Checked AF

Checked flash

Checked exposure

Cleaned Sensor

You could expedite the test by firing off say 50 shots with the lens pointing up.

BTW, simply out of curiosity is your shutter count reset to zero after the replacement?

I bought a refurbished unit and the shutter count was 7. I thought that was unusual for a refurbished unit. And based on another post about a shutter replacement and the color of the mirror assembly was copper, mine is the same color. So I guess my refurb unit had a shutter replacement. I just did a high key shoot at f11 and f16 of over 1000 shots and did not notice any dusts spots. which my other Nikon D2x had a lot.

Tsan

Lucky Sky
Like?
In reply to Tsan, Mar 14, 2013

Tsan-

I think you did very well buying your refurbished unit.........wishing you continued good luck and enjoy that D600.

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky

axcentphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jolleyman, Mar 14, 2013

When I decided to jump from DX to FX, I was a little leery about making this purchase online, given the problems I had read here about the D800. So I went to Mike's in Denver, they gave me the applicable discounts and 2 months later I'm still quite happy. And when I have a 'user error' problem. Jonathan is quite delighted to point out that I should RTFM...Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tsan, Mar 14, 2013

Tsan wrote:

I bought a refurbished unit and the shutter count was 7. I thought that was unusual for a refurbished unit. And based on another post about a shutter replacement and the color of the mirror assembly was copper, mine is the same color. So I guess my refurb unit had a shutter replacement. I just did a high key shoot at f11 and f16 of over 1000 shots and did not notice any dusts spots. which my other Nikon D2x had a lot.

Tsan

Salesman at Adorama wanting to sell me refurbs said they were "brand new" but they had open box and had to be sold as new.  I wonder how many of them were like yours.

-David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads