Does your 20/1.7 lens hunts when used on E-PL5/EM5 shooting video with AF set to AF-S?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
Does your 20/1.7 lens hunts when used on E-PL5/EM5 shooting video with AF set to AF-S?
Mar 13, 2013

I configure the E-PL5 movie mode to M, manually select aperture and shutter speed, and the AF mode to AF-S.  However, when I shoot video (kids making a mess in the bath room) in low light using the Panasonic 20/1.7 lens, I seem to still see focusing "breathing," if that is the correct term for the lens to momentarily lose focus and refocuses.  I double checked the AF-mode and confirmed that it is AF-S.  Does anyone else notice this?  On GH1, once focus is locked, I usually switch the focus mode to Ml using the dial on the left, and the focus will not move at all.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850Gear list
Like?
Re: Does your 20/1.7 lens hunts when used on E-PL5/EM5 shooting video with AF set to AF-S?
In reply to G1Houston, Mar 13, 2013

There are many threads covering how well the 20/1.7 focuses (although almost all cover still photography rather than video).  Here's a current example: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3398954

The usual term is "hunting" rather than "breathing" for the a lens struggling to AF.

The 20 often makes a bit of noise when focusing  which leads some to conclude that it's not the best lens for video.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,098Gear list
Like?
Not with E-M5/S-AF

G1Houston wrote:

I double checked the AF-mode and confirmed that it is AF-S. Does anyone else notice this? On GH1, once focus is locked, I usually switch the focus mode to Ml using the dial on the left, and the focus will not move at all.

I just checked my E-M5 with the 20mm in S-AF mode. Moved around the house bringing objects in and out of focus. The lens never tried to refocus on its own, I had to push my AFL button to make it refocus.

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Schira
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
Re: Does your 20/1.7 lens hunts when used on E-PL5/EM5 shooting video with AF set to AF-S?

My G5, 20mm and the kids don't mix for movie.

Schira's gear list:Schira's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads