Canon 6D and Tamron 24-70

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions
Coolhandchuck
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Canon 6D and Tamron 24-70
Mar 12, 2013

Not only am I having a ridiculous battery drain, but I am also having a metadata issue. When I go in to check my metadata, the camera has recorded the wrong info into the image file. I used a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD for the shots, but it says that I used a a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX HSM. I called Canon and they had no clue other than it must have been a communication error between the lens and the camera. No, really....? I know that people have been having battery issues, but has anyone had a metadata problem?

Coolhandchuck's gear list:Coolhandchuck's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bakewell
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D and Tamron 24-70
In reply to Coolhandchuck, Mar 13, 2013

Coolhandchuck wrote:

Not only am I having a ridiculous battery drain, but I am also having a metadata issue. When I go in to check my metadata, the camera has recorded the wrong info into the image file. I used a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD for the shots, but it says that I used a a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX HSM. I called Canon and they had no clue other than it must have been a communication error between the lens and the camera. No, really....? I know that people have been having battery issues, but has anyone had a metadata problem?

The camera reports 24-70 on it's menu. In LR under lens corrections/make click the drop-down and pick Tamron. The correct lens will be inserted.

bakewell's gear list:bakewell's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 2X Pro Teleconverter Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
In reply to Coolhandchuck, Mar 13, 2013

Coolhandchuck wrote:

Are you keeping yor VC turned on. I heard that will affect the battery.

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,900Gear list
Like?
In reply to William DIllard, Mar 13, 2013

William DIllard wrote:

Coolhandchuck wrote:

Are you keeping yor VC turned on. I heard that will affect the battery.

Thats what its there for, should have no deppramental effect me thinks.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,372
Like?
In reply to William DIllard, Mar 13, 2013

Based on other discussions on these forums, I believe there is a fix for this problem.
You need to return the lens to Tamron for a firmware update.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Mar 13, 2013

Yes, there seem to be a battery drain issue with this lens and the 6D. It seems like its just early batches and Tamron are aware of it.

As for the Exif, I too found that LR reports it as a Sigma. Once you change the Lens correction over to Tamron set this as the lens default and you wont need to do it again.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads