60D focus error...

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions
Resoman
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
60D focus error...
Mar 12, 2013

I just shot some fairly close cat pictures with my Sigma 50mm f1.4 @ f2, and they're consistently in focus on his nose, but I had focused on the eye. I just shot a test with a page of lined paper and got a similar result - sharp focus in front of the actual point of focus. This is the first time I've questioned the AF accuracy of the camera, but I'm not usually up close at f2, as I was today.

This is fixable, I hope? I assume I'll be sending the camera back to Canon. Do these AF systems need to be tweaked for each specific lens?

Thanks,

Gary

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,615Gear list
Like?
Re: 60D focus error...
In reply to Resoman, Mar 12, 2013

Resoman wrote:

I just shot some fairly close cat pictures with my Sigma 50mm f1.4 @ f2, and they're consistently in focus on his nose, but I had focused on the eye. I just shot a test with a page of lined paper and got a similar result - sharp focus in front of the actual point of focus. This is the first time I've questioned the AF accuracy of the camera, but I'm not usually up close at f2, as I was today.

This is fixable, I hope? I assume I'll be sending the camera back to Canon. Do these AF systems need to be tweaked for each specific lens?

Thanks,

Gary

The issue is most likely not the camera, but, the lens.

Sigma lenses are known for having calibration issues.

The good news is that Sigma will calibrate it for free under waranty, and since it is an EX lens the warranty is 4 years (you'll need a copy of your receipt or invoice).

I recently sent in a lens for calibration. Turn around was one week from the day they received it, till the day I got it back. My only cost was packing, shipping and insurance.

Sigma Corporation of America
Attn: Service Department
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Tel: 631 227-2036
Toll Free Tel: 800 896-6858
Fax: 631 585-1895

9:00AM – 5:00PM, M-F EST

ONLINE REPAIR ORDER

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Resoman
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Re: 60D focus error...
In reply to TTMartin, Mar 13, 2013

Thanks for the helpful reply! Now, I'll start looking for the paperwork...

Gary

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads