UK Tripod Question

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Questions
Swiss L
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
UK Tripod Question
Mar 12, 2013

Forgive me but may I narrow this question down to members in the UK as I do not have access to RRS or Makin tripods. I have £300 to spend on a portable tripod/head to carry a D800 with lenses no heavier than the F4 zooms. I apprecaite that its always better to spend more not less however this is my budget and I am considering tripods from Calumet, Manfrotto, Benro and Giotto? I favour ball heads. Peoples experiences and suggestions welcomne. (I have read numerous threads on thsi subject however  I would just like to narrow it down to UK based answers that I can use (Choices in the US appear better, cheaper and more numerous).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fedupandenglish
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: UK Tripod Question
In reply to Swiss L, Mar 12, 2013

Hi

I've been very happy with a tripod from http://www.redsnapperuk.com/ . Worth a look as a UK company.

Fedupandenglish's gear list:Fedupandenglish's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: UK Tripod Question

3 legged thing  also a UK company..

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,799Gear list
Like?
Feisol CT3442

They have a UK distributer, unfortunately the CT3442 and CB40 ballhead take you £30 or so over budget.

You don't say whether folded length is important to you, if not the 3-section CT3342 is a little cheaper.

The design of the tournament-style tripods is rock solid. They have a very wide diameter top plate which brings the camera right down to the apex of the tripod. If you really need a centre column, they are available as an optional extra, but the tripods are tall enough for me without one (I'm 5' 10") and I haven't missed the flexibility.

Feisol tripods are exceptionally well made and thoughtfully designed.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Swiss L
Like?
Re: Feisol CT3442
In reply to Kuppenbender, Mar 12, 2013

Many thanks for the link. I had no idea these were available in the UK. Light strong short folded length and rigid and a good ball head.

Kuppenbender
Like?

Swiss L wrote:

Many thanks for the link. I had no idea these were available in the UK. Light strong short folded length and rigid and a good ball head.

Glad to be of help.

One thing I've just noticed, the link I gave you takes you to the 'non-rapid' version of the the 3442. The 'rapid' version is another £25, taking you further away from your budget. I have the rapid version and it makes it easier to set up, similar to Gitzo's G-lock anti-rotation system.

CT3442 rapid

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
diapos
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Mar 19, 2013

How are the legs on this tripod?  I read a review on that the legs don't lock well and can be difficult to lock.  I am planning on getting an acratech ultimate ballhead.  I have a Canon 50D and my heaviest lens is a 70-200 F4.0 iS.

Thanks.

Kuppenbender
Like?
In reply to diapos, Mar 20, 2013

How are the legs on this tripod? I read a review on that the legs don't lock well and can be difficult to lock. I am planning on getting an acratech ultimate ballhead. I have a Canon 50D and my heaviest lens is a 70-200 F4.0 iS.

Thanks.

The legs are absolutely fine and they lock just fine. It's a very simple screw locking system and I can't see much to go wrong with it. You turn the locks until they're tight enough to hold the legs.

Newer Feisol's with the Rapid leg locks are easier to loosen, as looser leg sections higher up don't rotate when you do so, but tightening has never been a problem for me.

Swiss L
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Mar 20, 2013

Ditto for me. Just received the Rapid version and the 40D Head packed inside their very handy and well padded tripod bag. The legs lock firmly and the combined weight with head is well short of 2kg. I couldn't be happier as the buld quality and service from their UK distributor has been first class. Highly recommended.

alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
In reply to Swiss L, Mar 30, 2013

I'm thinking of buying a 3442 as a "one size fits all" solution for hiking, travel and macro but am slightly concerned re: the rigidity of the lower leg sections as they are only 17mm diameter according to the specs on the site. Otherwise, it seems a good compromise between weight and extended height. Alternatives would be the 3342 (but slightly longer folded) or 3472 (but extra weight for hiking).  Could either of you 3442 owners comment on the leg rigidity?

Kuppenbender
Like?
In reply to alFR, Mar 30, 2013

alFR wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a 3442 as a "one size fits all" solution for hiking, travel and macro

That's exactly what I bought the 3442 for. I wanted a tripod small and light enough to take out for day and not feel hard done by if it didn't get used. I looked at the smaller Traveller-style tripods and went with the ct3442 because the leg sections were thicker in diameter.

Could either of you 3442 owners comment on the leg rigidity?

The 3442 has been more than rigid enough for me, but I've always had lightweight gear (small DSLR, 70-300mm consumer-grade lens at the most). The last leg section has never been any concern. I suppose I could complain that it takes a little longer to set up/put away.

If you're using heavier gear (FF DSLR, 300mm f4 etc...) it might be wise to err on the side of caution and go 3-sections. Of course, a decent head (ball or otherwise) would be an absolute must in that case, and more likely to be the weaker link than the thinner leg section.

The bottom line is that every tripod is a compromise of some sort.

alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Mar 31, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

That's exactly what I bought the 3442 for. I wanted a tripod small and light enough to take out for day and not feel hard done by if it didn't get used. I looked at the smaller Traveller-style tripods and went with the ct3442 because the leg sections were thicker in diameter.

Both the leg thickness and the need to extend the centre column substantially on the traveller models to get enough height for me put me off a bit.

If you're using heavier gear (FF DSLR, 300mm f4 etc...) it might be wise to err on the side of caution and go 3-sections. Of course, a decent head (ball or otherwise) would be an absolute must in that case, and more likely to be the weaker link than the thinner leg section.

The Feisol 50D looks fairly robust, so I was considering going for that. Most of my use would be with a 24-105 f4 for hiking and a 100mm macro, so nothing too heavy. The biggest lens I can see myself ever owning would be a 100-400 f4.5-5.6 or a 70-200 2.8: don't own either currently, but I'd like to future-proof a bit if possible as I'd hope the tripod would last a while.

That said, even the 3342 or 3472 would be as small/light as what I was originally looking at (a RRS TVC-24L and BH-40 combination: the 25% import duty/VAT on the RRS if imported to the UK (plus the steep initial price!) sort of ruled that one out, however) so I could get either of those and not be carrying any extra.

The bottom line is that every tripod is a compromise of some sort.

True! For me I guess it probably comes down to the lighter weight of the 3442/3342 vs the extra height and possibly slightly greater rigidity of the 3472.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads