Just picked up an Oly XZ-2

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions
Ivo Verhaar
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: focus issues
In reply to cathyph1, Mar 14, 2013

not narrow dear, fleebay standard, i have the same searching on ebay.nl it will not show us,uk,nl all the time...

And i am pretty sure i will have lots of fun with the XZ-2, Hmmm now saving for a UW housing for snorkling fun, or stick with my old model tgh..

-- hide signature --

Olympus: E-3, 12-60SWD, EX25,EC20, FL50R, 50-200SWD, XZ-2.
Thinktank: Rotation 360, Change Up, some modules
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iverhaar

Ivo Verhaar's gear list:Ivo Verhaar's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Olympus Stylus 720 SW Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ivo Verhaar
Like?
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Mar 18, 2013

The new toy is in the house..

first glance a bit more beefy as expected, but still pocketable.

Wow love the screen wish my E-3 had such a great screen, ok will wait untill E-M7/E-7...

Does it misfocus from time to time indoors yes it does, but so does my E-3.

charging in camera is new, will search if my mju charger will work, gives me some options.

Need to getting used to the menu structure, so far deleting is a bit of a pita..

So far i do not think it has any real issues. Will give a lot of joy

-- hide signature --

Olympus XZ-2 iHS Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Olympus Stylus 720 SW Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 +6 more
judith1600
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Mar 18, 2013

I hope you enjoy it, Ivo.  Yes, there is no "mass delete" that I could find so I have had to mark my deletions in CS4 and do it there.  It does miss focus the odd time but is surprisingly accurate most of the rest.  It does quite well with my non-stop wriggling infant grandson, though

Will look forward to your test shots.

Regards,

Judith

judith1600's gear list:judith1600's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Leica D-LUX 4 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +14 more
Ivo Verhaar
Like?
Multi delete..
In reply to judith1600, Mar 19, 2013

ROFL will give the dog a try for its fast focus. interior shots are just mucking around...

but i have found a multiple delete function...

press play, toggle wide (this will give you an overview), mark photos with REC, next photo can be done by using the navigation wheel on the back. mark next etc etc, press ok, select delete and they are gone..

Note: in one of the menus you can find the option for a 4x4, 9x9 or bigger matrix under wide.

only thing i had i marked a photo to be not deletable (lock) and the only way to remove that was formatting, i was unable to remove the lock?

And i understood you could do in camera effects on raw files, not that important, but was not able to do it...

Someone wrote that focussing under 30cm, super macro? disabled the flash completely, afaik it keeps on firing up to 1cm, however! it will not be of much use without a bounce card reflecting it back to the front of the lens. Same issue as my slr, but probably have to solve it the same way (transparant matte reflector on 45 degree angle between subject and flash) Or use a wireless flash

Oh and i have version 1.0 inside...

Still a great piece of pleasure

Ok now back to my acupuncture study....

-- hide signature --

judith1600
Like?
Re: Multi delete..
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Mar 19, 2013

Card Setup in Menu allows for mass delete.  You can format or delete using that function.

pablolie
Contributing MemberPosts: 634Gear list
Like?
In reply to cathyph1, Mar 20, 2013

I did experience major focus issues initially, but I am not sure if it's adjustments I made in my shooting or in the camera configuration that turned my experience into yours: a few situations where I (and the camera, we are a team) struggle to get focus. In that case, the fantastic manual focus lever is my friend.

I also very much like the fact you don't discount other users' experiences - given my initial experience, nor do I.

I do believe the focus issues stem from Oly eliminating the regular macro mode, and having the AF range cover the entire range (except super macro, which I have used only once or twice).

pablolie's gear list:pablolie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +6 more
Ivo Verhaar
Like?
In reply to pablolie, Mar 20, 2013

Well, for me it is a new cam and almost all do worse in low light low contrast situations, so defnitely not going to judge it now. IMHO it is more than fine, maybe not stellar.

But as you say, the gorgeous display with the very functional manual focus makes it a breeze anyhow.

so simply going to update it to the latest version and we will see.

by the way i did not see an option to select super macro, to me it looks like it selects it itselve in manual focus under 30cm... but could be somewhere in the iauto stuff... so used pasm

i can only hope that the new E-7 Em7 whatsoever will be as informative as this puppy... Gee if it had a high grade 400 tele inside and it was weatherproofed, i might be very tempted to leave the big gunn at home on holiday.

so do i like it yessssssssss. Now some time use it more extensive lol

-- hide signature --

judith1600
Like?
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Mar 20, 2013

Ivo: If you use the super control panel, tap S-AF then use the front control ring to scroll to the next mode which is super macro.

Regards,

Judith

BMWBig6
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to judith1600, Mar 20, 2013

Ivo: If you use the super control panel, tap S-AF then use the front control ring to scroll to the next mode which is super macro.

Regards,

Judith

How does one get the Super control panel to appear?  I read about it in the manual, but can never get it to show up no matter what mode I use.  I can cycle through the other "regular" screens but not the Super control panel.  I must be doing something wrong.

-- hide signature --

Ben

BMWBig6's gear list:BMWBig6's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?
Re: Just picked up an Oly XZ-2
In reply to judith1600, Mar 20, 2013

Love the camera but I do have the focus problem. I am very experienced so it is definitely a camera problem. At certain focal lengths in low light it never locks focus. Red square. I have to manually focus which is not a big deal as I enjoy doing that anyway. It is mostly an annoyance but I did not get this to shoot low light stuff. I did almost throw it against a wall though when I was trying to focus on my daughters face after a play performance. I resisted and focused manually  I never had the focus lock problem on the XZ-1.

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
In reply to djrocks66, Mar 21, 2013

Love the camera but I do have the focus problem. I am very experienced so it is definitely a camera problem. At certain focal lengths in low light it never locks focus. Red square. I have to manually focus which is not a big deal as I enjoy doing that anyway. It is mostly an annoyance but I did not get this to shoot low light stuff. I did almost throw it against a wall though when I was trying to focus on my daughters face after a play performance. I resisted and focused manually I never had the focus lock problem on the XZ-1.

That is serious.  I wonder is Olympus is gonna try to fix this major problem.  " I did almost throw it against a wall"

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
judith1600
Like?
Re: Super screen
In reply to BMWBig6, Mar 21, 2013

I'll try to recreate it for you tomorrow.  It is buried 5 or 6 deep in the Menu in Display, I think.  You need to turn off "Live" and then toggle on Super Screen."  To access the super screen after it's up and running, use the OK button.  Give it a try tonight.

Regards,

Judith

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,868Gear list
Like?
focus problem question
In reply to djrocks66, Mar 21, 2013

Could you post what settings you were using with your XZ2 when you had the focus problems?  I would like to try to re-create the problem on mine.  I have had occassional problems but nothing I can seem to reproduce reliably in the kinds of situations others seem to be having difficulty with.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A65 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +17 more
Ivo Verhaar
Like?
Re: focus problem question
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Mar 22, 2013

Well mine is at least doggieproofed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iverhaar/sets/72157633055689915/

ohoh new camera in town...

strike a pose...

-- hide signature --

Gary Leland
Regular MemberPosts: 221Gear list
Like?
In reply to djrocks66, Mar 23, 2013

I have had no focus issues.  Some slightly out of focus.  But my camera is always locked in on something.

Ivo - Nice puppy pics.  Your friend seems to be quite photogenic.

-- hide signature --

Gary Leland

Gary Leland's gear list:Gary Leland's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS
judith1600
Like?
Re: focus problem question
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Mar 25, 2013

Very nice shots, Ivo.  Loads of personality there!

Ivo Verhaar
Like?
In reply to Gary Leland, Mar 26, 2013

Well she is no pup, already 3 but my parents little puck behaves like one a big part of the time, and definitely a great personality inside of her. But she is even to fast for my E-3 from time to time... hmm do mis that focus tracking which was on my old canon eos 5e slr from time to time.

-- hide signature --

Novicia
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to Ivo Verhaar, Mar 26, 2013

Ivo Verhaar wrote:

hmm do mis that focus tracking which was on my old canon eos 5e slr from time to time.

The XZ-2 has focus tracking in its autofocus modes (C-AF+TR). Haven't tried it; seems like it might be tough to use if one's doggie is jumping around, since you have to keep the shutter halfway depressed while tracking.

Shhhh don't tell anybody, but sometimes I'm lazy and shoot a short video clip. Then I can grab a frame that turned out well and pretend I just had perfect timing O.o!

Ivo Verhaar
Like?
In reply to Novicia, Mar 27, 2013

lol will give it a go, she tends to sprint straight towards me yeessssss bosssie back.... sooo will be challenging to say the least

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads