R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions
cna
cna
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
Mar 11, 2013

Hi,

I have an Epson R3000 printer  for a bit more than 1 year, and during last month, I’ve run through a lot of unexpected automatic cleaning cycles.

A month ago, I switched to matte black ink, and since then I’ve had three printing sessions (20 A3+  per session); at the start of each printing session, the R3000 performed an automatic (and very costly) head cleaning before EACH of the first 5 prints. In all, I’ve lost that equivalent of 3-4 cartridges !

The R3000 is connected to a Win7/64bits PC  through USB; I use the latest Windows driver (6.75), and R3000 firmware.

Has anybody ever had the same experience with this, otherwise very nice, printer ?

Thanks for you help

Philippe

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,527
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to cna, Mar 11, 2013

cna wrote:

Hi,

I have an Epson R3000 printer for a bit more than 1 year, and during last month, I’ve run through a lot of unexpected automatic cleaning cycles.

A month ago, I switched to matte black ink, and since then I’ve had three printing sessions (20 A3+ per session); at the start of each printing session, the R3000 performed an automatic (and very costly) head cleaning before EACH of the first 5 prints. In all, I’ve lost that equivalent of 3-4 cartridges !

The R3000 is connected to a Win7/64bits PC through USB; I use the latest Windows driver (6.75), and R3000 firmware.

Has anybody ever had the same experience with this, otherwise very nice, printer ?

Thanks for you help

Philippe

My R3000 is also about a year old and I have printed over 800 prints and it has only ran 4 auto cleaning cycles and 2 of those cycles I caused by pulling the power plug on start up to manually move the prit head left to clean the print head and parking pads.  When I plugged it back in it does a auto-clean.  So basically my R3000 has only perfromed 2 normal auto-cleans in that time frame and I like it that way.  I don't use MK ink so I never switch.   I also use Win 7/64.

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cna
cna
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to Petruska, Mar 12, 2013

Bob,

Maybe the problem is linked to the MK ink.

But yet, I cannot imagine that automatic FIFTEEN cleaning cycles in a 3 weeks period is a normal behaviour, especially when you look at the ink cost of running such a cycle....

Is there a way to disable proative cleaning  on the R3000 ? (I think that such a possibility exists on some Epson printers); I would make sense to only manually run a cleaning cycle when you notice printing problems (which I never never saw in my case).

Greetings,

Philippe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,252
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to cna, Mar 12, 2013

cna wrote:

Is there a way to disable proative cleaning on the R3000 ? (I think that such a possibility exists on some Epson printers);

If there is, it would probably be found in the front panel menu. That is where it ususally is on other Espon printers.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,527
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to cna, Mar 12, 2013

cna wrote:

Bob,

Maybe the problem is linked to the MK ink.

But yet, I cannot imagine that automatic FIFTEEN cleaning cycles in a 3 weeks period is a normal behaviour, especially when you look at the ink cost of running such a cycle....

Is there a way to disable proative cleaning on the R3000 ? (I think that such a possibility exists on some Epson printers); I would make sense to only manually run a cleaning cycle when you notice printing problems (which I never never saw in my case).

Greetings,

Philippe

No, there is no way to turn off auto-cleaning cycles.  15 cycles of auto-cleaning in 3 weeks is definitely wrong.  You should contact Epson support with this problem.  As I stated in my post I have only had 4 auto-cleaning cycles take place with my R3000 in 1 year of ownership and over 800 prints.

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Dobbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to cna, Apr 9, 2013

I'm also noticing multiple cleaning cycles recently on my r3000. I switched to MK several months ago and just starting making more prints after some weeks of inactivity. Now just about every new print job causes a cleaning cycle...it's like it's doing the photo black to matte black switch procedure but not actually changing to the other black.

I have not yet depleted the MK ink, but it's dropped maybe 30% after 5, single page print jobs!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Dobbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to Mike Dobbs, Apr 9, 2013

Mike Dobbs wrote:

I'm also noticing multiple cleaning cycles recently on my r3000. I switched to MK several months ago and just starting making more prints after some weeks of inactivity. Now just about every new print job causes a cleaning cycle...it's like it's doing the photo black to matte black switch procedure but not actually changing to the other black.

I have not yet depleted the MK ink, but it's dropped maybe 30% after 5, single page print jobs!

Also, I have been switching between colour & ABW modes, all on MK ink, matte paper.

Just sent this issue off to Epson Support to see what they...I advise anyone having this issue to contact Epson...hopefully more reports of this will aid them in resolving it.

Mike.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to Petruska, Apr 9, 2013

.  I don't use MK ink so I never switch.   I also use Win 7/64

Bob - forgive my ignorance but how do you not use the MK ink, do you limit your paper type, can you permanently turn it off

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

 camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,527
Like?
Dave....
In reply to camerashy, Apr 9, 2013

camerashy wrote:

.  I don't use MK ink so I never switch.   I also use Win 7/64

Bob - forgive my ignorance but how do you not use the MK ink, do you limit your paper type, can you permanently turn it off

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

I make custom ICC Printer profiles for all my papers.  Thus, I also use PK black for matte papers also and there really isn't much differences if I compare it to using MK with the same photos.

I only use Cone inks so maybe their encapsulated pigments ink makes PK work a little better with matte papers.  Also 2% of my printing is with matte papers so it doesn't mean much to me.

All my custom ICC paper profiles (including matte papers) are made with the Premium Photo Paper Glossy media setting and I adjust the Color Density (ink laid down) slider to give me what I want.  Since I never choose matte as the Media setting, then MK is never auto selected.

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
Many Thanks Bob appreciate your detailed reply. n/t
In reply to Petruska, Apr 10, 2013
-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

 camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RomBill
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to Mike Dobbs, Apr 12, 2013

I've only had my R3000 for about 2.5 weeks and if I use the matte ink for anything it purges the Photo black out and than uses the Matte ink. When it switches back to photo ink it will do a pruge again. From Photo to matte takes 3ml of inkl. from Matte to Photo it takes one ml of ink. I have read this from the Epson site.

I believe your problem is because you are using the matte black and photo black.

I just tell the printer to use photo black for most of my printing unless I'm doing a special black and white.

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,156
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to RomBill, Apr 13, 2013

RomBill wrote:

I've only had my R3000 for about 2.5 weeks and if I use the matte ink for anything it purges the Photo black out and than uses the Matte ink. When it switches back to photo ink it will do a pruge again. From Photo to matte takes 3ml of inkl. from Matte to Photo it takes one ml of ink. I have read this from the Epson site.

I believe your problem is because you are using the matte black and photo black.

I just tell the printer to use photo black for most of my printing unless I'm doing a special black and white.

Bill

Exactly how to you tell the print to use only photo black?

The only way I know is by defaulting to a Glossy Luster paper.

Black ink type use is only determined by the paper chosen in the job or in the printer preferences in the printer and devices tab.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Dobbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 22, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

RomBill wrote:

I've only had my R3000 for about 2.5 weeks and if I use the matte ink for anything it purges the Photo black out and than uses the Matte ink. When it switches back to photo ink it will do a pruge again. From Photo to matte takes 3ml of inkl. from Matte to Photo it takes one ml of ink. I have read this from the Epson site.

I believe your problem is because you are using the matte black and photo black.

I just tell the printer to use photo black for most of my printing unless I'm doing a special black and white.

Bill

Exactly how to you tell the print to use only photo black?

The only way I know is by defaulting to a Glossy Luster paper.

Black ink type use is only determined by the paper chosen in the job or in the printer preferences in the printer and devices tab.

So on my issue, the printer is currently using MatteBLK and yes it went through the purge when I switched from PhotoBLK. When I go to print something, I usually need to tell the app that I want matte or plain paper...since my apps seems to bring up a glossy stock with photoblk set as the defaults.

When printing just text docs, it doesn't seem to perform big cleanings/purges as much as when I run a photo job.  Haven't done more testing (need time) so haven't followed through with Epson Support...my email to them resulted in "You may have a hardware issue, please call us directly to review".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ivos1
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to Mike Dobbs, Apr 27, 2013

Changed T1575 cartridge today and pritnter started with cleaning before each 1 - 2 print. By printing 7 A4 and having 6 cleanings I lost equivalent of 3 cartridges. I will contact Epson service. Unfortunately it is 4 months after warranty. The direction Im thinking is to use warraty for the cartridge (which was bought 6 months ago) because the whole issue started by changing the cartridge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,156
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to Ivos1, Apr 27, 2013

Ivos1 wrote:

Changed T1575 cartridge today and pritnter started with cleaning before each 1 - 2 print. By printing 7 A4 and having 6 cleanings I lost equivalent of 3 cartridges. I will contact Epson service. Unfortunately it is 4 months after warranty. The direction Im thinking is to use warraty for the cartridge (which was bought 6 months ago) because the whole issue started by changing the cartridge.

Are you saying that the printer performs a cleaning before ANY print job is sent? So if I send it 5 separate print jobs, it will do a cleaning every time? That is not right. Hope Epson will take care of you!

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jani80k
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to cna, May 8, 2013

Hello.

I suffered from the exact same problem.

I bought a R3000 with an older firmware on it. I went home and installed the latest driver and started printing. So far so good. The problem did not arise yet. No unexpected leaning cycles yet.

After a few days, I decided to update the firmware to the latest version. From this point on, the problem started. Before every print I would make, the printer would go through a complete ink cleaning cycle like it does when switching MK to PK. It was ridiculous. I printed four 10x15 inch fotos and my ink levels were noticeably decreased. All because of those darn cleaning cycles before each print.

How did I solve the problem? Well, in the settings I reset all to factory defaults (not only the network but really all, the option at the very bottom).

The problem has disappeared since.

Lesson learned: After updating the firmware/BIOS of any device, I need to revert to factory defaults.

Best regards.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cna
cna
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: R3000 - Multiple unexpected cleaning cycles
In reply to jani80k, May 20, 2013

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Since the beginning of the year, I've certainly  run into 20 cleaning cycles; it costs me a fortune (at least 8 cartridges).

I was thinking about throwing my printer away. I contacted Epson service, but this service is virtually inexistant.

I also  installed the lastest firmware end of last year and I will now try to reset the printer to factory defaults. I will keep you updated

Best regards,

Philippe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 458
Like?
that's exactly why I used bulk ink solution from the getgo
In reply to cna, May 20, 2013

that's exactly why I used bulk ink solution from the getgo!

unnecessary cleanings would just do nothing but waste inks and money. I converted mine to InkRepublic.com R3000 CIS and have been really happy with the setup!!! Much easier than refill carts and so MUCH cheaper than Epson's carts. If it run cleaning cycles, it uses inexpensive inks from InkRepublic, not the expensive inks from epson.

cna wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Since the beginning of the year, I've certainly  run into 20 cleaning cycles; it costs me a fortune (at least 8 cartridges).

I was thinking about throwing my printer away. I contacted Epson service, but this service is virtually inexistant.

I also  installed the lastest firmware end of last year and I will now try to reset the printer to factory defaults. I will keep you updated

Best regards,

Philippe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cna
cna
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Update - problem still not solved
In reply to cna, Jun 8, 2013

I've reset my R3000 to factory settings as suggested, but the problem is still not solved.

The R3000 keeps running automatic cleaning cycles before nearly every print.

Unfortunately for me, my R3000 is out of warranty (by a few months).

It tried to contact Epson on several occasions, but their service is virtually inexistant or incompetent (the only thing they came up with is to suggest me to disable the cleaning setting on my R3000, setting which ... does not exist on a R3000).

I will stop using my R3000 (it costs me a fortune in ink), and I think I will never buy an Epson product again; maybe I will try a Canon printer ...

Greetings,

Philippe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Dobbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?
Re: that's exactly why I used bulk ink solution from the getgo
In reply to williamio, Jun 13, 2013

williamio wrote:

that's exactly why I used bulk ink solution from the getgo!

unnecessary cleanings would just do nothing but waste inks and money. I converted mine to InkRepublic.com R3000 CIS and have been really happy with the setup!!! Much easier than refill carts and so MUCH cheaper than Epson's carts. If it run cleaning cycles, it uses inexpensive inks from InkRepublic, not the expensive inks from epson.

cna wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Since the beginning of the year, I've certainly run into 20 cleaning cycles; it costs me a fortune (at least 8 cartridges).

I was thinking about throwing my printer away. I contacted Epson service, but this service is virtually inexistant.

I also installed the lastest firmware end of last year and I will now try to reset the printer to factory defaults. I will keep you updated

Best regards,

Philippe

I have used CIS bulk inks on ther Epson printer with good results. However, one of the big selling points on the R3000 for me was the excellent AdvancedBlack&White mode printing. With non-standard inks, this feature will no longer work as it's supposed to, Yes there are custom curves/printer profiles that can be applied, but it really takes a lotof otine to setup and test to get back to where I want to be for B&W vs Colour print switching.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads