SONY NEX 6Y for £630 - Should I? (UK Camera) 1st camera since a very old POS Touch screen Sony

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions
taffyb
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
SONY NEX 6Y for £630 - Should I? (UK Camera) 1st camera since a very old POS Touch screen Sony
Mar 11, 2013

Hi all,

After quite a bit of research since before well before Christmas  I'd finally convinced myself that for my needs an NEX6 would fit the bill.

Needs are:

Portability is a major consideration as it would become my main camera that ideally I'd like to take everywhere with me.

It would be my 1st (in my opinion) proper camera & will replace my old POS Sony; therefore having enough manual controls for me to learn the basics before perhaps upgrading to a DSLR at some point.

I'll use it to take a complete variety of shots & the occasional video.

It must have a built in flash (this is what put me off the 5) as I'm unlikely to carry the extra flash or have the patience to fit it.

It must be relatively easy to use so that even my complete novice girlfriend can take pics.

& finally, I'd like it to be an investment that'll ideally do me for the next 5 years with options to upgrade if I want.  (I know this a risk & technology will inevitably move on, but I'd like to think since it's a new model with seemingly a large following its unlikely to become old tack too soon).

The reason for the thread is I've been offered a UK camera for a fantastic price with the additional lens & although around Xmas I'd pretty much told myself this was the way to go but couldn't quite stretch to the price, now this offer has come up is there anything else out there I should consider for the same money?  Or should I grab this whilst I can?

Thank you for reading my thread & I look forward to all feedback.

Cheers

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,887Gear list
Like?
Re: SONY NEX 6Y for £630 - Should I? (UK Camera) 1st camera since a very old POS Touch screen Sony
In reply to taffyb, Mar 11, 2013

Good choice.

Also depending on your need for lenses, you could consider the new 20mm f/2.8 pancake, 35mm f/1.8 OSS (excellent walk around lens and focal length), and 50mm f/1.8 OSS. The little 16-50 PZ OSS (kit lens) is pretty good too.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
taffyb
Like?
Re: SONY NEX 6Y for £630 - Should I? (UK Camera) 1st camera since a very old POS Touch screen Sony
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Mar 11, 2013

So you'd say yes go for it EinsteinGhost & snap up the Nex 6Y?

I can also get the 6L for £515, but for the extra it seems a no brainer to spend the extra to get the additional lens.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,887Gear list
Like?
In reply to taffyb, Mar 11, 2013

taffyb wrote:

So you'd say yes go for it EinsteinGhost & snap up the Nex 6Y?

I can also get the 6L for £515, but for the extra it seems a no brainer to spend the extra to get the additional lens.

I'm not aware of the designations (Y versus L). It sounds like w/kit lens versus body only? The 6 is a nice camera.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
taffyb
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Mar 11, 2013

Yeah the Y comes with the SEL-55210 lens as well as the standard (L) SEL-P1650

taffyb
Like?
In reply to taffyb, Mar 12, 2013

Ordered the NEX 6 with both lens today - not to learn how to use it properly 

johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
In reply to taffyb, Mar 12, 2013

I was looking at at NEX-7 and decided on a Samsung NX20; take a look if not too late.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,994Gear list
Like?
In reply to johnznyc, Mar 12, 2013

johnznyc wrote:

I was looking at at NEX-7 and decided on a Samsung NX20; take a look if not too late.

The NX20 is the later model to the Samsung NX10 which I've had now for almost two years. Absolutely fab camera - far better than it seems to be given credit for.  Beautiful AMOLED screen which is superior to any LCD and it has an auto-sensor which switches between LCD viewing and built-in optical finder with real-time isplay. Very compact for what type of cameera it is (M4/3 of course).. put a Pancake lens on it and unless your MAIN desire is Landscape pics..that FL will quite literally do anything you want - and do it extremely well.

It's a beauty of a camera and although I have to admit to not having any great knowledge of the NEX cameras, I've never realy liked the style - very compact body but ruined really because any GOOD Lens that goes on it is invariably big and bulky to destroy the original small body advantage. I handled a NEX-5 just once (with 16mm lens on it) and found it gave far worse results than I'd certainly expect from a camera of such kind.

The lenses you seem to get with that NEX you have in mind, are I think NOT really THE best.. as with nearly all kit-lenses .. ones that come WITH a camera ..  they are most often just to provide a working camera.. NOT being the best you can get FOR that camera.. just a cheap starter. You can never do worse than buy a BODY...THEN decide on which lens you want and choose seperately.   A "kit" can be money wasted.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads