In reply to rovingtim, Mar 12, 2013

How do you reduce your DSLR presence from basically "nil?"

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Re: It's pretty blatant now what's happening and it was easy to see a few years ago
In reply to esco, Mar 12, 2013

esco wrote:

declan79 wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

According to the latest Amateur Photographer (AP) magazine, Olympus losses nine months to Dec 2012 doubled from those of the previous year. AP notes Olympus's aggressive cost cutting strategy that will lead to a 7% decrease in their workforce by 2014. AP also notes that Olympus implied that they will be reducing their DSLR presence.

I would love to be proved wrong, but at the moment I still think the end of 2013 will be the countdown to backtracking on this forum rather than an E7.

that is why Oly sell their majority cam division to Sony. And from my point of view, which marked by OM-D EM-5 the first Sony Sensors continued by E-PL5&E-PM2 and so on, there is a big change for the upcoming new E-7 or E-50 or E700 was also using the new sensors of Sony.

This is the common things in big industry, after the aquisition then their released the new product using their selling point inside it.

As a user, i see the future and for my self will keep remain using this magnificent Olympus

Uh. . .Olympus did not sell the majority of their camera division to Sony. They have seeked funding and Sony has agreed to fund them. . .you see there is fine line here because Sony IS a major competitor. Sleeping with the enemy is not a good move for Olympus nor does it bode well with Sony's long time electronics rival and essentially m4/3's co-owner Panasonic!
Olympus is in a really dire situation here, they seek funding from the company that essentially took their spot in the industry. . .I don't see how people here can say Olympus knows what they're doing after witnessing the company crash year after year and becoming desperate enough to seek funding from competitors.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when you lack competent marketing, timely product delivery and communication. . .on top of one of the largest business scandals to hit asia. . you lose your customer base.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

I think the Panasonic / Olympus relationship had already soured before the scandal. I.E.  the old sensors in all Olympus products and new sensors in the Panasonic's   until the OMD release.  I think the decision to get into bed with Sony is long in the making.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
chillgreg
Contributing MemberPosts: 961Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus photo division losses double
In reply to rovingtim, Mar 13, 2013

rovingtim wrote:

According to the latest Amateur Photographer (AP) magazine, Olympus losses nine months to Dec 2012 doubled from those of the previous year. AP notes Olympus's aggressive cost cutting strategy that will lead to a 7% decrease in their workforce by 2014. AP also notes that Olympus implied that they will be reducing their DSLR presence.

I would love to be proved wrong, but at the moment I still think the end of 2013 will be the countdown to backtracking on this forum rather than an E7.

Prediction A: Sony will buyout Oly camera divison (not medical/industrial etc). Likelihood? Seeing Sony's heavy losses unlikely. They are more likely to be looking to offload their current stakeholding, especially with the massive costs of the PS4 release.

Prediction B: Samsung buys Oly camera division inc. Sony shares. Samsung's cash reserves are enough to buy all of Nikon if they wanted. But chance to get m43 market + NX APS-C might be attractive to SS, as they like to dominate multiple markets. But according to their company philosophy, they only enter a market if they know they can be top 2.

Prediction C: Google or Amazon buys Oly camera division inc. Sony shares. Google and Amazon are also both cash-reserve positive. Google bought Motorola for its Android smartphone platform, with google glass gaining access to Oly's imaging know how and patent's might be attractive. Amazon has seen greaty success with the Kindle Fire. It would probably keep Oly running as is, but perhaps look to introduce a $99 m43 body...

All complete conjecture...

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
In reply to chillgreg, Mar 13, 2013

chillgreg wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Prediction A: Sony will buyout Oly camera divison (not medical/industrial etc). Likelihood? Seeing Sony's heavy losses unlikely. They are more likely to be looking to offload their current stakeholding, especially with the massive costs of the PS4 release.

Prediction B: Samsung buys Oly camera division inc. Sony shares. Samsung's cash reserves are enough to buy all of Nikon if they wanted. But chance to get m43 market + NX APS-C might be attractive to SS, as they like to dominate multiple markets. But according to their company philosophy, they only enter a market if they know they can be top 2.

Prediction C: Google or Amazon buys Oly camera division inc. Sony shares. Google and Amazon are also both cash-reserve positive. Google bought Motorola for its Android smartphone platform, with google glass gaining access to Oly's imaging know how and patent's might be attractive. Amazon has seen greaty success with the Kindle Fire. It would probably keep Oly running as is, but perhaps look to introduce a $99 m43 body...

Greg

I am not sure many companies want to get into the camera market. Sony has done what it does best, hammer out electronics. Samsung has the cash reserves to keep mucking around in this market, but seem to be failing to make any headway... Google and Amazon do rather well but again I cant see them interested in traditional photography.

It is more likely Olympus soldiers on in m43rds and 43rds, thinning their compacts to next to nothing and releasing 2 bodies in 43rds to draw in additional sales. Keeping a camera division is important for an optical company, it maintains the brand awareness in the consumer sphere and it leverages assets such as optical manufacturing which is important in their medical division.

So I see them with a simplified release schedule resuming shortly in 43rds using similar tech from m43rds, and m43rds being their volume sales... I dont see anyone buying a camera division today when all camera companies are struggling.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
esco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
Re: It's pretty blatant now what's happening and it was easy to see a few years ago
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 13, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

esco wrote:

declan79 wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

that is why Oly sell their majority cam division to Sony. And from my point of view, which marked by OM-D EM-5 the first Sony Sensors continued by E-PL5&E-PM2 and so on, there is a big change for the upcoming new E-7 or E-50 or E700 was also using the new sensors of Sony.

This is the common things in big industry, after the aquisition then their released the new product using their selling point inside it.

As a user, i see the future and for my self will keep remain using this magnificent Olympus

Uh. . .Olympus did not sell the majority of their camera division to Sony. They have seeked funding and Sony has agreed to fund them. . .you see there is fine line here because Sony IS a major competitor. Sleeping with the enemy is not a good move for Olympus nor does it bode well with Sony's long time electronics rival and essentially m4/3's co-owner Panasonic!
Olympus is in a really dire situation here, they seek funding from the company that essentially took their spot in the industry. . .I don't see how people here can say Olympus knows what they're doing after witnessing the company crash year after year and becoming desperate enough to seek funding from competitors.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when you lack competent marketing, timely product delivery and communication. . .on top of one of the largest business scandals to hit asia. . you lose your customer base.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

I think the Panasonic / Olympus relationship had already soured before the scandal. I.E. the old sensors in all Olympus products and new sensors in the Panasonic's until the OMD release. I think the decision to get into bed with Sony is long in the making.

-- hide signature --

Collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

But Panasonic and Oly are mutually involved with the m4/3 mount, all of their lenses, bodies and most accessories are cross compatible no? I suppose one could say it's less closer as they are using different sensors but i'd say their relationship is nothing to sneeze at.
Interesting times for the japanese camera business for sure.
When i don't feel like lugging the 5d around I still like shooting with my kodak sensor e-400 though, I treat it as a high end fixed lens camera with the 14-54 permanently mounted. Sometimes I think that maybe I want one of these high-end compacts but once I come to my senses the e-400 beats the pants off of them so whats the point. Anything smaller and that's what my nokia phone is for with it's 24mm F2 zeiss lens and 8mp, pp bridges the gap here.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

esco
Like?
In reply to alatchin, Mar 14, 2013

alatchin wrote:

chillgreg wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Prediction C: Google or Amazon buys Oly camera division inc. Sony shares. Google and Amazon are also both cash-reserve positive. Google bought Motorola for its Android smartphone platform, with google glass gaining access to Oly's imaging know how and patent's might be attractive. Amazon has seen greaty success with the Kindle Fire. It would probably keep Oly running as is, but perhaps look to introduce a $99 m43 body...

Greg

I am not sure many companies want to get into the camera market. Sony has done what it does best, hammer out electronics. Samsung has the cash reserves to keep mucking around in this market, but seem to be failing to make any headway... Google and Amazon do rather well but again I cant see them interested in traditional photography.

It is more likely Olympus soldiers on in m43rds and 43rds, thinning their compacts to next to nothing and releasing 2 bodies in 43rds to draw in additional sales. Keeping a camera division is important for an optical company, it maintains the brand awareness in the consumer sphere and it leverages assets such as optical manufacturing which is important in their medical division.

So I see them with a simplified release schedule resuming shortly in 43rds using similar tech from m43rds, and m43rds being their volume sales... I dont see anyone buying a camera division today when all camera companies are struggling.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

I can see samsung making noise in the little niche they've carved themselves, smart cameras and I can see the others doing it as well. Point and shoots either fade completely or they integrate a mobile os like a smartphone and access familiar applications and can upload photos to the internet right away or link with smartphones to do it like the canon point and shoot that was unveiled recently.
It's a completely feasible market that hasn't been tapped into much and the first couple examples released were clunky but it's bound to become a really smooth experience soon. One of the main reasons people use their smartphones other than the fact that they carry with them all the time is for the very intuitive editing apps and also the immediate and ease of uploading. You take those qualities and put them into a point and shoot and there will be a decent amount of people willing to buy a point and shoot camera, you are offering the consumer a lot more value along with a very familiar experience vs a sole camera with nothing else on it. Most photographers won't care of course but this is the huge mainstream market we're talking about, the market that actually accounts for most profits.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

alatchin
Like?
In reply to esco, Mar 14, 2013

esco wrote:

alatchin wrote:

chillgreg wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Greg

Abraham

-- hide signature --

I can see samsung making noise in the little niche they've carved themselves, smart cameras and I can see the others doing it as well. Point and shoots either fade completely or they integrate a mobile os like a smartphone and access familiar applications and can upload photos to the internet right away or link with smartphones to do it like the canon point and shoot that was unveiled recently.
It's a completely feasible market that hasn't been tapped into much and the first couple examples released were clunky but it's bound to become a really smooth experience soon. One of the main reasons people use their smartphones other than the fact that they carry with them all the time is for the very intuitive editing apps and also the immediate and ease of uploading. You take those qualities and put them into a point and shoot and there will be a decent amount of people willing to buy a point and shoot camera, you are offering the consumer a lot more value along with a very familiar experience vs a sole camera with nothing else on it. Most photographers won't care of course but this is the huge mainstream market we're talking about, the market that actually accounts for most profits.

The way I see the problem, is that people believe they already have a camera in their phone... So most dont see the need in buying a "second camera" especially if it does the same thing as their phone...

However there will always be a market for larger sensored cameras, the look is different, there is a seriousness and prestige to the equipment which many people seek out... However it wont be mass by any means. And there lies the issue, where will these camera companies find their volume again...

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
esco
Like?

alatchin wrote:

esco wrote:

alatchin wrote:

chillgreg wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Greg

Abraham

-- hide signature --

It's a completely feasible market that hasn't been tapped into much and the first couple examples released were clunky but it's bound to become a really smooth experience soon. One of the main reasons people use their smartphones other than the fact that they carry with them all the time is for the very intuitive editing apps and also the immediate and ease of uploading. You take those qualities and put them into a point and shoot and there will be a decent amount of people willing to buy a point and shoot camera, you are offering the consumer a lot more value along with a very familiar experience vs a sole camera with nothing else on it. Most photographers won't care of course but this is the huge mainstream market we're talking about, the market that actually accounts for most profits.

The way I see the problem, is that people believe they already have a camera in their phone... So most dont see the need in buying a "second camera" especially if it does the same thing as their phone...

However there will always be a market for larger sensored cameras, the look is different, there is a seriousness and prestige to the equipment which many people seek out... However it wont be mass by any means. And there lies the issue, where will these camera companies find their volume again...

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

-- hide signature --

You know everyone was saying the same thing with tablets. Why have one when you have a smartphone on you at all times and you have a laptop that you can carry? Nobody will buy another device to do the same thing. It's not necessarily that it's doing the same thing but it's more so how it does these things.

A zoom lens and better low light capability is something many people desire and these are things that take up too much space in a slim phone. A point and shoot that happens to do more than just take a picture is something that is very appealing here, I'm not sure you realize the impact that mobile applications such as instagram and twitter have. Nothing else comes close to the volume of media (with engaged users) that flows through their networks, nothing and it just so happens that there isn't a camera(or worthy one yet) that taps into that.
I'm not saying this is something that will sell in the same qauntities as the first few generations of digital elphs but more so saying there is quite a decent market for this and a few of the smart corporations will at least give it a try or come up with something very similar.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

alatchin
Like?

esco wrote:

alatchin wrote:

esco wrote:

alatchin wrote:

chillgreg wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Greg

Abraham

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

-- hide signature --

You know everyone was saying the same thing with tablets. Why have one when you have a smartphone on you at all times and you have a laptop that you can carry? Nobody will buy another device to do the same thing. It's not necessarily that it's doing the same thing but it's more so how it does these things.

A zoom lens and better low light capability is something many people desire and these are things that take up too much space in a slim phone. A point and shoot that happens to do more than just take a picture is something that is very appealing here, I'm not sure you realize the impact that mobile applications such as instagram and twitter have.

You could be right here, I am not a big social media user.

Nothing else comes close to the volume of media (with engaged users) that flows through their networks, nothing and it just so happens that there isn't a camera(or worthy one yet) that taps into that.
I'm not saying this is something that will sell in the same qauntities as the first few generations of digital elphs but more so saying there is quite a decent market for this and a few of the smart corporations will at least give it a try or come up with something very similar.

It would be nice to see that tech appear in a m43rds camera as well... Well time will tell, and it isnt just olympus I wonder about. The cameras Nikon makes today are so good, the incentive to upgrade must be smaller each time (and this applies to all the camera makers)... But I could be wrong there.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

-- hide signature --

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?

esco wrote:

CollBaxter wrote:

esco wrote:

declan79 wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

I think the Panasonic / Olympus relationship had already soured before the scandal. I.E. the old sensors in all Olympus products and new sensors in the Panasonic's until the OMD release. I think the decision to get into bed with Sony is long in the making.

-- hide signature --

Collin

But Panasonic and Oly are mutually involved with the m4/3 mount, all of their lenses, bodies and most accessories are cross compatible no? I suppose one could say it's less closer as they are using different sensors but i'd say their relationship is nothing to sneeze at.
When i don't feel like lugging the 5d around I still like shooting with my kodak sensor e-400 though, I treat it as a high end fixed lens camera with the 14-54 permanently mounted. Sometimes I think that maybe I want one of these high-end compacts but once I come to my senses the e-400 beats the pants off of them so whats the point. Anything smaller and that's what my nokia phone is for with it's 24mm F2 zeiss lens and 8mp, pp bridges the gap here.

I don't think Olympus can possibly do worse with Sony, than they did being tied up with Panasonic. Panasonic essentially put their hands around Olympus' throat and kept squeezing until 4/3 had lost all credibility as far as their Dslr cameras were concerned. While the likes of Nikon, Fuji and Pentax were storming ahead, Olympus was starving on a diet of hopeless sensors. It was not as if Panasonic couldn't do any better, they can if you take a look at the GH3. It's all history now, and Olympus would have had to face downfall anyway, as a result of incomprehensible corporate aberrations, but I still resent Panasonic for it. Sony is a far better partner in that respect.

Some companies cannot make it on their own, Pentax is one of those too. It is crucial that they find a good partner. Pentax nearly went under in their tie to Hoya, but along came the powerful Ricoh, and they are now repairing a lot of the damage. I know Olympus is in another situation with Sony, but then: they still have their own medical division, and won't be threatened by Sony ownership unless they fail totally.

alatchin
Like?
In reply to Chris Mak, Mar 14, 2013

Chris Mak wrote:

esco wrote:

CollBaxter wrote:

esco wrote:

declan79 wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

-- hide signature --

Collin

I don't think Olympus can possibly do worse with Sony, than they did being tied up with Panasonic. Panasonic essentially put their hands around Olympus' throat and kept squeezing until 4/3 had lost all credibility as far as their Dslr cameras were concerned. While the likes of Nikon, Fuji and Pentax were storming ahead, Olympus was starving on a diet of hopeless sensors. It was not as if Panasonic couldn't do any better, they can if you take a look at the GH3. It's all history now, and Olympus would have had to face downfall anyway, as a result of incomprehensible corporate aberrations, but I still resent Panasonic for it. Sony is a far better partner in that respect.

I am going to go out on a limb, I dont think the relationship with Panasonic was what everyone says it was here. The GH1 sensor, when released by Panasonic was only marginally better than the 12mp sensor in the Olympus cameras, but would have required a while new IBIS and image pipeline that I dont think Olympus was willing to invest in considering the marginal gains.

The same could be said of the GH2, it is hardly worlds ahead, I honestly see Olympus looking into new sensors and working to get greater volumes in m43rds for sensor purchasing, then approaching Sony or Toshibas fab to make them while developing their new pipeline and IBIS mechanism for the new sensor manufacturer.

As far as I know, this idea of a relationship being stuck has always been rumor with little to back it up. it was only a couple of years, E-30 - E-5 where the sensor was reused in their DSLR, wit the E-5 showing the type of resolution gains that other companies are just starting to employ (D7200, K5IIs, D800e) and olympus got blasted for doing it. It introduce video, a larger screen and improvements in processing. While the same sensors were reused in the lower bodies this is probably more like Olympus using proven tech in an un-contested space. The as the market become more competitive they release their newer tech in the OMD, and then the same sensor and processing in the lower bodies.

Some companies cannot make it on their own, Pentax is one of those too. It is crucial that they find a good partner. Pentax nearly went under in their tie to Hoya, but along came the powerful Ricoh, and they are now repairing a lot of the damage. I know Olympus is in another situation with Sony, but then: they still have their own medical division, and won't be threatened by Sony ownership unless they fail totally.

This relationship with sony is just as misunderstood. Sony has a large investing arm which is a good source of revenue for the company, the relationship between the camera divisions may very well benefit Olympus if they are contracted out to produce lenses for sony's cameras. Sony is unlikely to buy another camera company considering its own camera division is not too hot.

However companies like Sony, Panasonic and Samsung have more electronics experience to create a new camera based product that changes the playing field, to companies like Pentax, Olympus, fuji, even Nikon, who are more traditional, will feel in their sales.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

esco
Like?

It'll undoubtebly make it's way into higher end cameras for sure imo because it'll get to a point where there isn't an excuse not to and there are many benefits to be had with having access to applications and being easily connected.
Memory cards will be optional as your data will sync with the cloud and or with your phone. The hassle of physically playing or transferring media is becoming a thing of the past for mainstream users, look at the video and music industry for example where most users stream their music and movies to whatever connected device be it at home or on the go.
The more you think about it the more it makes sense. This all applies more so towards mainstream users and less so for serious photographers and pros but even they will reap the benefits, if not from being connected but from the serious processing power that most mobile devices have these days.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads