A question about a new E-XXX and E-X

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
A question about a new E-XXX and E-X
Mar 11, 2013

How may of you E-X owners would mind of Olympus redesigned the E-X to the point you needed a new grip and batteries?

How many of you think a DSLR to sit in the E-XXX size with a more "stylized" look would sell. Lets assume it is about $800 and harks back to the heyday of DSLRs with some metal, leather etc.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?
Re: A question about a new E-XXX and E-X
In reply to alatchin, Mar 11, 2013

alatchin wrote:

How many of you think a DSLR to sit in the E-XXX size with a more "stylized" look would sell. Lets assume it is about $800 and harks back to the heyday of DSLRs with some metal, leather etc.

I can't say I like the retro designs I see.

I'd much rather they continue the E-xxx line-up of better ergonomics, no leather and no inspiration from the distant past.

In many ways I think Olympus has burned some bridges with the absense of new DSLR bodies, so I think they have sent some negative messages in the market there, but I wish them well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alatchin
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Mar 11, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

alatchin wrote:

I can't say I like the retro designs I see.

I'd much rather they continue the E-xxx line-up of better ergonomics, no leather and no inspiration from the distant past.

In many ways I think Olympus has burned some bridges with the absense of new DSLR bodies, so I think they have sent some negative messages in the market there, but I wish them well.

Cool, I got a bite I understand a retro body would inspire some, and turn others off... But what if it looked good and was ergonomic?

Do you think the retro body would sell across a broader base than a standard body?

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,998
Like?

I can't foresee them abandoning the BLM-5, which is a new design that's powerful, meets the Japanese safety criteria and fits a host of E-series cameras from the E-5 down to the relatively small E-510. It's basically the last thing I'd expect them to change.

Since I don't own a grip I have no dog in that hunt (can't see a benefit to making an already big camera like the E-5, even bigger).

I'd be pleased as punch with an E-30-sized semi-pro camera, but don't expect one. There's a memo on a shelf somewhere that says, "Thou shalt make dslrs all look boringly the same." and all the makers follow that rule to a "T". Oly's no different in that regard.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,114
Like?

alatchin wrote:

Do you think the retro body would sell across a broader base than a standard body?

No idea, but I'd like to think not

Retro designs get noticed more in camera stores, etc. Simply because of their stand-out-ishness.

alatchin
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Mar 11, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

I can't foresee them abandoning the BLM-5, which is a new design that's powerful, meets the Japanese safety criteria and fits a host of E-series cameras from the E-5 down to the relatively small E-510. It's basically the last thing I'd expect them to change.

Good point, so batteries to stay the same.

Since I don't own a grip I have no dog in that hunt (can't see a benefit to making an already big camera like the E-5, even bigger).

Interesting point, however for portrait shooting a grip can be a godsend on the wrist.

I'd be pleased as punch with an E-30-sized semi-pro camera, but don't expect one. There's a memo on a shelf somewhere that says, "Thou shalt make dslrs all look boringly the same." and all the makers follow that rule to a "T". Oly's no different in that regard.

Well that is where we may be surprised, I mean the success of the Fuji's and the OMD may get some people thinking... Maybe.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

-- hide signature --

alatchin
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Mar 11, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

alatchin wrote:

No idea, but I'd like to think not

Retro designs get noticed more in camera stores, etc. Simply because of their stand-out-ishness.

Sometimes getting noticed is half the battle won... I wonder if that is Sony's thinking with the RX1, get people playing with it, get people thinking about Sony and cameras.

-- hide signature --

MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?

You won't have to worry about an E-xxx.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?

I like boring DSLRs and I am tired of retro.

aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?

I don't want leather on my camera (given our climate, it's just one more thing to come off), and I'm quite satisfied by the ergonomics of my current dslrs.

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?

Like Rick said above, I can not see Olympus changing the battery now. I would be pretty annoyed of they did since I have quite a few BLM-1 and BLM-5 and chargers. The grip works on my E-5 and the E-3 before that. I didn't know it fit other cameras. I'd be equally unhappy if they reinvented the grip.

I don't see a retro design as an advantage for a DSLR. The OM-D is retro because it's small like the old Olympus flm cameras. Still, it is easier to fit more stuff in a squarish box than a rounded one. I think the current plastic or mag-alloy bodies are more durable. I like the rounded feel of my E-5.

An E-xxx or E-xx was hinted at recently when Olympus said they needed to give current E-520, E-420 and E-620 owners an upgrade path. They need an affordable entry level body for people on a smaller budget to buy into. I don't think "highly stylized" is the efficient way to go for an entry level camera. It must be competitively priced with similar DSLRs.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
RobbGee
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly Chameleon anybody?

Hi All

To be honest I think my E-420 is rather handsome, but lets think outside the box....

alatchin wrote:

How may of you E-X owners would mind of Olympus redesigned the E-X to the point you needed a new grip and batteries?

Too boring!

How about funky.......take the design of the Pentax K-30 one step further....replaceable coloured panels....to match your mood!

Yes the new Oly Chameleon.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

Best

RobbGee

RobbGee's gear list:RobbGee's gear list
Olympus E-420 Pentax K-30
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
In reply to alatchin, Mar 12, 2013

alatchin wrote:

Didn't the E-30 use the same grip as well?  A new camera could be a little smaller than the current E-5 and still use the same battery grip.

I hope the stylized thing will not happen to my new E-whatever. No leather either.  The rubber grips covering the magnesium alloy body is great.

I shoot the E-5.  I have had an E-620.  What a terrific light weight body that 620 is.  I would like to have something that small and light and yet still DSLR and updated.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
alatchin
Like?
In reply to aja2, Mar 12, 2013

aja2 wrote:

I don't want leather on my camera (given our climate, it's just one more thing to come off), and I'm quite satisfied by the ergonomics of my current dslrs.

Well, I wouldnt imagine the E-X would be retro, but it may be cool to have rubber look like leather

As for ergonomics, I found the E-3 one of the most comfortable cameras to use.

-- hide signature --

alatchin
Like?
In reply to dave gaines, Mar 12, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

Like Rick said above, I can not see Olympus changing the battery now. I would be pretty annoyed of they did since I have quite a few BLM-1 and BLM-5 and chargers. The grip works on my E-5 and the E-3 before that. I didn't know it fit other cameras. I'd be equally unhappy if they reinvented the grip.

This would be why I cant see the E-X being any smaller than the E-30, so Olympus doesnt upset their existing users.

I don't see a retro design as an advantage for a DSLR. The OM-D is retro because it's small like the old Olympus flm cameras. Still, it is easier to fit more stuff in a squarish box than a rounded one. I think the current plastic or mag-alloy bodies are more durable. I like the rounded feel of my E-5.

I was thinking retro for the E-XXX... I mean, if noone has cottoned on to the fact that the E-620 is almost the same size as the OMD... Olympus could make an OMD DSLR around the size of the 620... All these people who love the idea of the OMD, but want an OVF would be served well. Throw the 25mm, 35mm, 50mm on there are you have a very small attractive system

An E-xxx or E-xx was hinted at recently when Olympus said they needed to give current E-520, E-420 and E-620 owners an upgrade path. They need an affordable entry level body for people on a smaller budget to buy into. I don't think "highly stylized" is the efficient way to go for an entry level camera. It must be competitively priced with similar DSLRs.

This would be my only reservation. But if they could squeeze it to about $899 I think it would sell like a house on fire, considering its potentially retro looks.

-- hide signature --

Dave

-- hide signature --

alatchin
Like?
Re: Oly Chameleon anybody?
In reply to RobbGee, Mar 12, 2013

RobbGee wrote:

Hi All

To be honest I think my E-420 is rather handsome, but lets think outside the box....

Just looked it up, it is a good looking camera with the 25mm on it for sure... But it is still one of the black plastic pack

alatchin wrote:

Too boring!

How about funky.......take the design of the Pentax K-30 one step further....replaceable coloured panels....to match your mood!

Now this is good thinking... didnt pentax do something recently where you can choose your colour?

Yes the new Oly Chameleon.

If they were to make it really connective, where it will send files to your phone etc, and had this funky appeal it may attract a different demographic. My retro feel was Olympus potentially considering their technology in the OMD, ported to a small (only slightly bigger) DSLR with the appeal of the OMD for a crowd of photographers who actually used an Olympus SLR.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

Best

RobbGee

-- hide signature --

alatchin
Like?
In reply to Geo Wharton, Mar 12, 2013

Geo Wharton wrote:

alatchin wrote:

Didn't the E-30 use the same grip as well? A new camera could be a little smaller than the current E-5 and still use the same battery grip.

Best of both worlds, I imagine that would be where they are going for the E-X

I hope the stylized thing will not happen to my new E-whatever. No leather either. The rubber grips covering the magnesium alloy body is great.

I shoot the E-5. I have had an E-620. What a terrific light weight body that 620 is. I would like to have something that small and light and yet still DSLR and updated.

Can't disagree with personal taste. This was a curious exercise to see if people would like to see an OMD DSLR, or would put up with a dramatic change to their flagship.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,061Gear list
Like?
The way things are going on Mt Olympus

I think we'll be lucky to get another E-3/5 type body and maybe a 620 body.

If we're real lucky they may put in the 5 axis IBIS from the OM-D

I think we can forget Oly throwing money at designing a new body, newer sensor or any exciting features, at least for the moment.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
alatchin
Like?
Re: The way things are going on Mt Olympus
In reply to Art_P, Mar 12, 2013

Art_P wrote:

I think we'll be lucky to get another E-3/5 type body and maybe a 620 body.

If we're real lucky they may put in the 5 axis IBIS from the OM-D

I think we can forget Oly throwing money at designing a new body, newer sensor or any exciting features, at least for the moment.

I dunno... I will have to disagree here... I cant see them not throwing everything at the flagship just to put the best value proposition out there.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

-- hide signature --

aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?

Looking like leather is ok; being leather is not.

But since we're playing this silly 'what if' game, why not just make it holographic instead?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads