7 inch WI-FI tablet WIN or android for some photo editing with max. SD expansion

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Questions
zvonkokracun
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
7 inch WI-FI tablet WIN or android for some photo editing with max. SD expansion
Mar 10, 2013

since i travel a lot, which small tablet is out there with above specs ?

i see it primarily from a photographers point of view , but watching films, skyping etc.

would come in handy.

ANSWER:
rio911
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Re: 7 inch WI-FI tablet WIN or android for some photo editing with max. SD expansion
In reply to zvonkokracun, Mar 10, 2013

As far as tablets go, you can't beat the Nexus 7.  No SD expansion though, so you have to get the 32GB version.

But I'm really pressed to recommend a good photo editing app...

rio

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,322
Like?
Re: 7 inch WI-FI tablet WIN or android for some photo editing with max. SD expansion

I have Samsung Tab 7.7, it has great screen and a memory card slot but I wouldnt even dream about editing any pics with it.

Adobe has Photoshop for tablets but I don't think it's a serious tool.

zvonkokracun
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Mar 10, 2013

thanks for that. just had a look at photoshop touch. if it does, what it promises i am willing to try it. file sizes, raw format is another thing and i might need to opt for an 11 inch or smaller  touchscreen laptop , like the asus vivobook .  somewhat larger i know !

scrambler2
Contributing MemberPosts: 591
Like?

Photo editing of raw images on a tablet.....

Sounds like you are looking for a Microsoft Surface pro (full windows 8 > Photoshop, Wacom digitizer/stylus, 128Gb SSD, SD slot...), but that is 10.6" and not the same budget

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,838Gear list
Like?
In reply to scrambler2, Mar 20, 2013

I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro for replacing my Dell E6410 on road traps.  I am really satisfied with the purchase.  I have Photoshop CS6 and Nikon View NX2 installed on my Surface Pro and dump the day's shooting onto the tablet for preprocessing.  It's very fast and Windows 8 works great on it.  I also have the Type Cover and the Wedge Mouse.  The only bummer is that there is no auto/air adapter.  I guess I can get a 50W inverter (what a drag...).  I've retired my iPad to ereading.  Oh, one other thing, I have a mini-display port to HDMI cable.  If the hotel room that I'm staying in had a flat screen TV, I can plug in the Surface Pro into the TV and when I use View NX2, the image is displayed full screen while the tools are displayed on the Surface Pro screen.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
KewlEugene
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
In reply to zvonkokracun, Mar 20, 2013

since photo editors are generic these days isn't there an open source freeware editor for android?

or do we have to wait for ubuntu tablets which should be out next year some time?

the windows tablets are way too expensive now.

the cheapest i have found is the acer with intel i3 at around $750 i recall.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, Mar 21, 2013

I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro for replacing my Dell E6410 on road traps. I am really satisfied with the purchase. I have Photoshop CS6 and Nikon View NX2 installed on my Surface Pro and dump the day's shooting onto the tablet for preprocessing. It's very fast and Windows 8 works great on it. I also have the Type Cover and the Wedge Mouse. The only bummer is that there is no auto/air adapter. I guess I can get a 50W inverter (what a drag...). I've retired my iPad to ereading. Oh, one other thing, I have a mini-display port to HDMI cable. If the hotel room that I'm staying in had a flat screen TV, I can plug in the Surface Pro into the TV and when I use View NX2, the image is displayed full screen while the tools are displayed on the Surface Pro screen.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

I have a Surface Pro 128 and have loaded it with DXO Pro 8, PS CS6, LR4, Helicon Focus & Remote, Capture NX2, PDF Converter Professional plus many other programs including Open Office. Works great and is speedy enough for most PP work on 36MP D800 RAW files. I use it just like I use my desktop Win 7 Ultimate. I have a portable USB drive on which to off-load photos until I return from a trip.

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,838Gear list
Like?
In reply to digital ed, Mar 21, 2013

I have a lot of room left so that I can load it up with images.  I can come back from a short trip with over 1000 images stored on my PC.  I use a Kanex DualRole to dump my photos via Ethernet on to my server after I get back from a trip.  The 64GB MicroXD Lexar holds the backups for my images.

I've been waiting for something like the Surface Pro for many years now.  The best thing about it is that TSA considers it a tablet.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads