SX50 filter thread?

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Questions
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
SX50 filter thread?
Mar 10, 2013

Does the SX50 sport a standard filter thread (if so, diameter?) or does it need an adaptor?

TIA!

ANSWER:
Don_Campbell
Contributing MemberPosts: 955
Like?
Re: SX50 filter thread?
In reply to edu T, Mar 10, 2013

edu T wrote:

Does the SX50 sport a standard filter thread (if so, diameter?) or does it need an adaptor?

TIA!

No threads. A bayonet mount. Canon makes an adapter that takes 67mm filter threads. Lensmate makes one that takes 58mm threads. I use the Lensmate version and it is quite satisfactory and less expensive that going the Canon route.

Don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?

edu T wrote:

TIA!

It does not have a filter thread and needs an adaptor. There are different ones, but I use the Lensmate 58mm adaptor that you can find here:

Lensmate

Some people prefer using 67mm filters, but unless you're going to stack them, 58mm works fine.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?

Thanks, Don & Vision!

[edit:] "The 58mm Lensmate filter adapter does not vignette at all at full wide (24mm) using a full depth polarizer" indeed! (lensmate)

-- hide signature --

/A camera has interesting ideas of its own./ --John Szarkowski (no connection with lomography)

JimCo
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to edu T, Mar 16, 2013

Based on you folk's opinions, I have just ordered the Lensmate adapter ring, and a kit of its 58-mm filters. It sounds good from all accounts. I can hardly wait to get the stuff. I recently ordered from Amazon a Vivitar 67-mm adapter ring that is supposed to be for Canon SX30, 40, and 50 models, but it's crap! If I can force it on at all, it immediately comes off at the slightest provocation. Thank goodness it was cheap and not worth the trouble to send back. But you know, my SX50 does have some kind of internal edge threads right in front of the lens that almost look as if they are there to screw something into. Maybe they're not really threads but just parallel fine grooves? Anyone else notice these?
JimCo

JimCo's gear list:JimCo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to JimCo, Mar 16, 2013

JimCo wrote:

But you know, my SX50 does have some kind of internal edge threads right in front of the lens that almost look as if they are there to screw something into. Maybe they're not really threads but just parallel fine grooves? Anyone else notice these?

Unfortunately those "threads" don't have an entry point or else they might have ben able to accept a 52mm filter. Apparently their only purpose is to provide a griping point for the spring loaded lens cap edges.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622Gear list
Like?
In reply to edu T, Mar 16, 2013

Even with the Lensmate adapter you need to make sure you get filters, closeup lenses, etc. screwed in properly and hand tighten or they may fall out.  When I start using either I twiist slightly counter clockwise and then clokwise until secure.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
JimCo
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Mar 16, 2013

Many thanx for your kind and helpful responses. I guess that my second idea about those threads was, ufortunately, the correct one; namely that the threads are just there to hold the lens cap in place. Also I'll keep in mind the thought about properly securing filters in the ring. Thanx again.

JimCo

Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
JimCo
Like?
In reply to JimCo, Mar 21, 2013

Hurray! I just today received my Lensmate order of their adapter ring and a set of 58-mm Hoya filters. The latter is composed of a UV(c) Multi-Coat filter, a NDx8 filter, and a Circular Polarizer w/ carrying pouch.. Excellent quality. The adapter ring slides slides and locks easily on the lens barrel of my SX50. So glad that I found this reference in this forum. Thanks to everone for their constructive advice and opinions.

JimCo

coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?

Why could it not be ordered from the Amazon sold by Digital Goja that is cheaper than the Lensmate? Has anyone ordered it from the Amazon and it fits well?

JimCo
Like?
In reply to coody, Mar 21, 2013

:-)Based on your comment, I just now browsed thru the Digital Goja web site under Amazon. The only thing I came up with was for a 58-mm Vivitar adapter ring and filter set for the SX 40 that should, of course, be okay for the SX50 as well. I can only assume that the Vivitar adapter ring is the same one that I bought earlier that was a total loss, as I reported. Furthermore, I really prefer the Hoya filters. I feel that they have always been among the best in the business. Thanks for your suggestion, however.

JimCo

coody
Like?

I am talking about the 58MM Lens Conversion Adapter Ring for CANON POWERSHOT SX20, SX30, SX40 IS Cameras + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth by Goja. It is only $7.99 and received very good rating.  Is that one you used early?

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to coody, Mar 21, 2013

coody wrote:

I am talking about the 58MM Lens Conversion Adapter Ring for CANON POWERSHOT SX20, SX30, SX40 IS Cameras + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth by Goja. It is only $7.99 and received very good rating. Is that one you used early?

Canon made a slight change to the front ring of the SX50 from the SX40 and a couple of months ago people on this forum complained that the older accessories did not fit properly on the new camera. Lensmate reported this on their site and redesigned a new adapter that fits the SX50 properly while also working with the SX40. Other vendors may have done so as well, but Lensmate is the only one I've seen that confirms doing so.

Don_Campbell
Contributing MemberPosts: 955
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Mar 21, 2013

VisionLight wrote:

coody wrote:

I am talking about the 58MM Lens Conversion Adapter Ring for CANON POWERSHOT SX20, SX30, SX40 IS Cameras + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth by Goja. It is only $7.99 and received very good rating. Is that one you used early?

Canon made a slight change to the front ring of the SX50 from the SX40 and a couple of months ago people on this forum complained that the older accessories did not fit properly on the new camera. Lensmate reported this on their site and redesigned a new adapter that fits the SX50 properly while also working with the SX40. Other vendors may have done so as well, but Lensmate is the only one I've seen that confirms doing so.

Interestingly the Lensmate mount for the SX50 is backwards compatible for the SX10-40. That gives some insight to the following narrative:

Canon, in their "wisdom," neglected to include a lens shade with the SX50. I ordered an after market shade that said it was suitable and it was inexpensive, looked a whole lot like the Canon shade for my SX20 but was a verrry tight fit on the SX50. I tried it on the SX20 and sure enough it fit beautifully. I took my Canon SX20 shade and tried it on the SX50 and it also fit beautifully. I passed along my SX20 with its "new" lens shade and its own original Lensmate mount and kept the SX20's shade for use on the SX50. Clearly Canon knew what it was doing when it designed the mount--it just didn't tell anyone else.

Don

coody
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Mar 21, 2013

The Amazon users have reported that 58MM Lens Conversion Adapter by Goja fits the SX50 well. Has anyone had ordered that adapter and can confirm it here?

BrettOssman
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to coody, Apr 5, 2013

coody wrote:

The Amazon users have reported that 58MM Lens Conversion Adapter by Goja fits the SX50 well. Has anyone had ordered that adapter and can confirm it here?

I just got the Goja one for my SX50, but mine is just a hair off, and I can't slide it on the lens.  I definitely don't want to force the issue.  I've contacted Goja.

JoelinVA
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to coody, Apr 5, 2013

coody wrote:

I have and it does fit the SX50, like a glove.

coody
Like?
In reply to JoelinVA, Apr 5, 2013

JoelinVA wrote:

coody wrote:

I have and it does fit the SX50, like a glove.

Glad you got a cost effective adapter. Can you further share what UV filter will fit that adapter by Goja from the Amazon if you have got a UV filter? Can anyone  confirm whether the Hoya 58 mm UV filter can fit that adapter by the Goja?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads