Landscape with SX50 HS

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions
Wulfhere
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Landscape with SX50 HS
Mar 10, 2013

As you can see from this image, the background is kind of washed out. Maybe this what makes me focus on the subject (which is nice and clear). What settings should I have had so that the background is... less so out of focus, enough for definition but not so much for distraction? DOF, landscape...a mode missing from the SX50 HS. I own both the SX40 HS and the SX50 HS. I keep the SX40 HS because, basically.. love the camera. I bought the SX50 HS for the zoom. What and where do I make the settings so that this photo has background definition? PS. Love both cameras, still a novice.

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
Re: Landscape with SX50 HS
In reply to Wulfhere, Mar 10, 2013

Wulfhere wrote:

As you can see from this image, the background is kind of washed out. Maybe this what makes me focus on the subject (which is nice and clear). What settings should I have had so that the background is... less so out of focus, enough for definition but not so much for distraction? DOF, landscape...a mode missing from the SX50 HS. I own both the SX40 HS and the SX50 HS. I keep the SX40 HS because, basically.. love the camera. I bought the SX50 HS for the zoom. What and where do I make the settings so that this photo has background definition? PS. Love both cameras, still a novice.

DOF is controlled by the aperture. You need to close the aperture down (a larger number) to increase the DOF. In this example, I'm not sure I would want to do that. You really want your eye drawn to the main subject.

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wulfhere
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, Mar 10, 2013

Thanks . I love this picture, but had I wanted to... You are right. So bringing the AV to f/8 would have done it (all on it's own?)? Thanks again

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?

Wulfhere wrote:

Thanks . I love this picture, but had I wanted to... You are right. So bringing the AV to f/8 would have done it (all on it's own?)? Thanks again

I'm not going to say that f/8 would have made a huge difference, but it's in the right direction.

Steve

Sue K
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

Love it just the way it is!

-- hide signature --

Sue K

Sue K's gear list:Sue K's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX200 IS
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?

Wulfhere wrote:

What you have in this image is a very narrow depth of field. Depth of field is the distance between the nearest point and farthest point in an image that will be in reasonable focus. Different focal lengths have different depths of field. The wider the focal length, the more depth of field. The longer the focal length, the lesser the depth of field. Different sensor sizes will have different depths of field for the same focal length. Smaller sensors will have more depth at a given focal length than a larger sensor. This image is taken with a VERY LONG focal length, 215mm on the small SX50 sensor or 1200mm full frame equivalent. Since the size of the bird indicates that it was only about 40 to 50 feet away, depth of field would only be within the area of the subject and CAN NOT also include any background. Using a long telephoto, you CAN NOT correct this. In order to get more of your image in focus, you would have to zoom back down to a shorter focal length where the depth of field is greater, then move in to within 5 to ten feet from the bird. Now focusing on the bird will also include focus on the background in the short focal length's wide depth of field.

Vision

Edit: Note that aperture can also increase depth of field by closing it down. But once again, the effect is limited as the focal length increases. And on the SX50, the smallest aperture is only f8, so the effect is even more limited. So once again, on P&S cameras with small sensors, the best way to increase depth is to use a lower focal length and get closer to your subject.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,396Gear list
Like?

I think your shot is very good as it is, the bokeh is outstanding !

For landscapes the apperture should be smaller  (f8), but here it would only loose the focus on the bird

Thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Patricia S. Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
How would you feel...

...about the soft-focus background if there were not so much of it?  I like the sharper bird/hazy surroundings but would like to see a crop in which the bird dominates the space more. In any event, that's a beautiful bird.

-- hide signature --

Regards... Patsy Stored Memories: http://www.pbase.com/patsysj

filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,706
Like?
Re: How would you feel...
In reply to Patricia S. Jones, Mar 10, 2013

Patricia makes the point about negative space, and I totally agree. Sheer bad luck that you did not take the shot in portrait orientation with all the bird in the frame.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

Stephen Ingraham
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?

Wulfhere wrote:

I have taken the liberty to do a bit of post work in Lightroom...just to demonstrate the possibilities. Part of the problem here is the underexposure of the background. Lightroom work was done with Shadows and Clarity only, applied to the whole image...no local adjustments. Took me 30 seconds.

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Alpha NEX-3N Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
vipictureman
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stephen Ingraham, Mar 10, 2013

Stephen Ingraham wrote:

Wulfhere wrote:

I have taken the liberty to do a bit of post work in Lightroom...just to demonstrate the possibilities. Part of the problem here is the underexposure of the background. Lightroom work was done with Shadows and Clarity only, applied to the whole image...no local adjustments. Took me 30 seconds.

Here is another option that was suggested. To see more of the bird, and in a vertical format.

Despite the small sensor on the SX50HS it has held up well to the heavy cropping I made on this image, indicating you executed a sharp and fine exposure of the main subject.

vipictureman's gear list:vipictureman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +12 more
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to vipictureman, Mar 10, 2013

Vipictureman, you hit it right on.  Crop and rotate.  100% improvement.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads