Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions
dbannerz71
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality
In reply to steve88, Mar 12, 2013

steve88 wrote:

dbannerz71 wrote:

Steve, this is somewhat off topic but I really like your website. How did you create it? I like the layout a lot. Was this from a site that helps you create our own, or did you make (build/write code for it) yourself? Btw, lots of good responces on here about focus and pp, especially the links to the videos.

Thank you,

Eric

Hi Eric and thanks for the compliments! Yes, I agree, I've received a TON of VERY HELPFUL information in this thread and I'm currently going through all of the responses in order to incorporate these techniques (and knowledge) into my shooting. I'm really very thankful to everyone who responded.

My website is actually a template from Zenfolio...they are great. I was on Flickr for two years and joined Zenfolio a few months ago. They have about 18 different templates for my website that I can choose from and dozens of additional ways to tweak each individual template. You don't need to know HTML or anything in order to do this but if you do you can modify the templates even further to your liking. I have a Premium account with them for $120/year and I think it's a real bargain consider everything you get. If you're interested in joining, you can use my referral code for a 10% discount (R3X-ZRM-6UZ).

I don't know a thing about HTML but Zenfolio is pretty intuitive and there are also user forums where you can ask questions as you tweak your website. You can rename and create new drop down menus, change colors, move headings and titles around...it's awesome.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions if you want...just PM me. Good luck!

Thanks a lot Steve. Looks like an awesome site. It's pretty much what I've been looking for. Good site to keep your photos and a good professional look to it as well as being able to support ordering pics through it too. Thank you very much for that info. Think I might start with the basic plan then go up later as I add more..not sure though as 120/yr isn't bad at all considering I'm teetering on the edge of ordering a 5d MK III! I have some issues with low light sports when doing bb in gyms at our YMCA and with my T4i it's at its limit as I have to go to ISO 6400 and the noise is a little more than I like (a lot more actually).

Eric

dbannerz71's gear list:dbannerz71's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Apple iPad WiFi
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,438
Like?

steve88 wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

steve88 wrote:

Again, maybe I'm doing something wrong here. Maybe it's the horrible light, maybe the aperture is too wide, maybe it's motion blur...it just seems very odd to me, however, that it's so soft.

It is none of these tings. focus plane is plainly behind the object. AF failed. nice and simple.

So, did it fail on just this one particular shot or do you think there is something fundamentally wrong with the AF on my 7D?

My guess is some 7D's AF system have a fault which sometimes result in a complete AF failure like your first image. I am guessing some 7D do not have this fault. whether they are the majority or not, I do not know.

PhilPreston3072
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664Gear list
Like?
Reset all NR sliders to 0 in DPP for Raw!!!

steve88 wrote:

Here are two samples. The first shot is on a monopod and the second is handheld and in DPP I've sharpened both to 4 on the RAW tab and 280 on the RGB tab. You would think that would be sufficient but it's not even close to being sharp enough. Many times I have to go to 10 on the RAW tab and 500 on the RGB tab and then do ADDITIONAL sharpening in LR3. Needless to say, that can lead to quite a mess in terms of how it finally looks.

Make sure all your NR sliders are set to ZERO in DPP under the NR/ALO tab.  The default +2 Luminance NR applied by DPP really robs your lenses of their crispness at pixel level.

PhilPreston3072's gear list:PhilPreston3072's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 889Gear list
Like?
In reply to dbannerz71, Mar 12, 2013

dbannerz71 wrote:

steve88 wrote:

dbannerz71 wrote:

Steve, this is somewhat off topic but I really like your website. How did you create it? I like the layout a lot. Was this from a site that helps you create our own, or did you make (build/write code for it) yourself? Btw, lots of good responces on here about focus and pp, especially the links to the videos.

Thank you,

Eric

Hi Eric and thanks for the compliments! Yes, I agree, I've received a TON of VERY HELPFUL information in this thread and I'm currently going through all of the responses in order to incorporate these techniques (and knowledge) into my shooting. I'm really very thankful to everyone who responded.

My website is actually a template from Zenfolio...they are great. I was on Flickr for two years and joined Zenfolio a few months ago. They have about 18 different templates for my website that I can choose from and dozens of additional ways to tweak each individual template. You don't need to know HTML or anything in order to do this but if you do you can modify the templates even further to your liking. I have a Premium account with them for $120/year and I think it's a real bargain consider everything you get. If you're interested in joining, you can use my referral code for a 10% discount (R3X-ZRM-6UZ).

I don't know a thing about HTML but Zenfolio is pretty intuitive and there are also user forums where you can ask questions as you tweak your website. You can rename and create new drop down menus, change colors, move headings and titles around...it's awesome.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions if you want...just PM me. Good luck!

Thanks a lot Steve. Looks like an awesome site. It's pretty much what I've been looking for. Good site to keep your photos and a good professional look to it as well as being able to support ordering pics through it too. Thank you very much for that info. Think I might start with the basic plan then go up later as I add more..not sure though as 120/yr isn't bad at all considering I'm teetering on the edge of ordering a 5d MK III! I have some issues with low light sports when doing bb in gyms at our YMCA and with my T4i it's at its limit as I have to go to ISO 6400 and the noise is a little more than I like (a lot more actually).

Eric

Sure, anytime Eric!  When you consider that $120/year is only $10/month it's not really that bad.  Most people spend that much on coffee at Starbucks in three days.  But it might not be a bad idea to start with the basic plan and see if you like it first before spending that much.

I hear you on the 5D3.  I would love to buy one for indoor sports (volleyball, track & field, basketball).  The price has actually dropped under $3K until about March 30th.  But with a 7D2 possibly coming out this year it's tempting to hold off a bit.

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
steve88
Like?
Re: Reset all NR sliders to 0 in DPP for Raw!!!
In reply to PhilPreston3072, Mar 12, 2013

PhilPreston3072 wrote:

steve88 wrote:

Here are two samples. The first shot is on a monopod and the second is handheld and in DPP I've sharpened both to 4 on the RAW tab and 280 on the RGB tab. You would think that would be sufficient but it's not even close to being sharp enough. Many times I have to go to 10 on the RAW tab and 500 on the RGB tab and then do ADDITIONAL sharpening in LR3. Needless to say, that can lead to quite a mess in terms of how it finally looks.

Make sure all your NR sliders are set to ZERO in DPP under the NR/ALO tab. The default +2 Luminance NR applied by DPP really robs your lenses of their crispness at pixel level.

Okay, cool, thanks!  I'll try that this weekend (I'll be shooting 4-5 games).  Thanks again.

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
PhilPreston3072
Like?

No need to wait until this weekend. You can apply it to all the raw shots that you've already taken and see the difference straight away.

steve88
Like?

PhilPreston3072 wrote:

No need to wait until this weekend. You can apply it to all the raw shots that you've already taken and see the difference straight away.

Okay, here's the second image from my original post with all NR sliders set to zero, image cropped, and maximum sharpening just in DPP (nothing done in LR3).  I guess given the conditions that day with the bright sun this isn't such a bad image...

PhilPreston3072
Like?
Try reducing contrast for sunny shots

steve88 wrote:

PhilPreston3072 wrote:

Okay, here's the second image from my original post with all NR sliders set to zero, image cropped, and maximum sharpening just in DPP (nothing done in LR3). I guess given the conditions that day with the bright sun this isn't such a bad image...

That's better.  Now you're really seeing how pin sharp your lens is.  Canon's default NR can make the best L lenses look shockingly soft.  You can set DPP to always use 0 NR for Raw.  Go to Tools>Preferences>Tool Palette>Default noise reduction settings>Set as defaults.

For bright, sunny shots you might like to try reducing the Contrast in the Raw tab to -1 or -2.  This will help to soften the shadows and highlights and bring out more tone and color.

Multi-SportsMom
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?

PhilPreston3072 wrote:

steve88 wrote:

Make sure all your NR sliders are set to ZERO in DPP under the NR/ALO tab. The default +2 Luminance NR applied by DPP really robs your lenses of their crispness at pixel level.

Does it go by ISO? As the number changes with each photo.

Multi-SportsMom's gear list:Multi-SportsMom's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
PhilPreston3072
Like?
In reply to Multi-SportsMom, Mar 13, 2013

Multi-SportsMom wrote:

PhilPreston3072 wrote:

Does it go by ISO? As the number changes with each photo.

It depends on which EOS model.  Some stay at +2 regardless.  Others vary according to the ISO, so you are right it is not always +2.

Even at base ISO, which usually applies +2 Luminance NR, you will notice a considerable loss of sharpness and detail.

KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,536
Like?
In reply to steve88, Mar 14, 2013

steve88 wrote:

Hello:

I've been shooting for a little over two years with a 7D and the following lenses:

Canon 200 f/2.8L
Canon 85 f/1.8
Canon 28 f/1.8
I shoot mostly sports but I do a few other genres as well. I consider myself a serious amateur...not great, but competent. My website is here: http://stevenmitchell.zenfolio.com/

I don't want to do this for a living but I do want to become a better photographer.

Ever since I got my 7D two years ago I've never really been happy with the image quality. I don't really have a problem with it focusing properly; my problem is just that the images (at least 75% of the time or more) are overly soft in my opinion. They just don't pop at all and seem very flat. In order to get useable images I usually have to sharpen them to the max in DPP and even a little more sometimes in LR3.

When I first noticed this I thought it was me that was the problem. The 7D has a very steep learning curve and it was my first DSLR. Knowing this I decided to take an online course with www.nyip.com and I've also read the following books:

Understanding Exposure and Learning to See Creatively (both by Bryan Peterson)
Digital Sports Photography (G. Newman Lowrance)
Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography (Brenda Tharp)
150 Projects to Strengthen Your Photography Skills (John Easterby)
David Busch's Guide to the 7D
And, yes, the Canon owner's manual for the 7D

So, again, I am by no means an expert but I'm also not a total newbie either.

Anyway, I tried to shoot a softball game today and every single image was just horrible (to me anyway). Very soft, very flat, no snap...so I've decided to finally turn here for help. I know that the 7D can produce some stunning images...I really do.

I've used the following method twice to MFA my lenses and none of them required any adjustments: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/af_microadjustment_article.shtml

I know this is probably not the most sophisticated or accurate way to MFA a lens so perhaps is that my problem? I know there are tons of charts, rulers, and other things people use to MFA a lens so maybe I should try one of those methods?

Anyway, I shoot in Manual mode 100% of the time (and RAW) and while shooting softball today I was using a monopod for some shots and some were handheld with the following settings:

f/2.8 to f/4
1/3200 to 1/5000 S/S
100-400 ISO
AI Servo
8 FPS and single-shot
Single, center point auto-focus
Auto White Balance
Evaluative Metering

There must be something I am doing wrong (or not doing at all) so I would really appreciate any help you can provide. I have left all of the settings in their default values on my 7D. I've read a ton of threads on 7d softness and IQ and it doesn't seem like there's a universal fix. Yes, in most cases it's the fault of the photographer but in other cases people seem to solve the problem through the MFA process while others tweak the camera and that clears everything up (changing AI Servo tracking sensitivity as an example).

Maybe I'm asking too much for the camera to produce sharp images out of the box. But having spent as much as I did on it two years ago and using pretty decent glass, I really think I should be getting better results than this. Every single one of the images I took today (145 in total) look like the ones below in terms of their IQ and sharpness. I don't think I've ever had a day where they all looked this bad. Usually I can get at least 15%-20% that are fairly good.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Again, I know the 7D can produce some fabulous images. Hopefully, mine just needs some tweaking to get there. Unfortunately, it's out of warranty. When I had it during its first year, I thought the issue was with me so I never sent it in to Canon to get checked out. Thanks again for any help!

They look soft to me. Not sure why. Shouldn't be camera shake or motion blur at those shutter speeds. If it's mis-focus, I can't tell where the focus is in those pics.

I've been able to get enough depth of field at f/2.8 with the 70-200 f/2.8 II.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1677554593008.73304.1661791667&type=3

steve88
Like?
THANKS EVERYONE!! (FROM THE OP)
In reply to steve88, Mar 17, 2013

So, I shot five softball games this weekend under varying conditions...night, sunny, and cloudy on all three days (Friday-Sunday).  I made some modifications to the custom focusing menus on my 7D (based on some PM's I received) and I also shot at higher apertures (instead of 2.8 I moved it up to 5.6 to 8) and guess what?

I HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY SHARPER IMAGES THAT POP!!  AMAZING!!

I don't have anything finished yet in DPP or LR3 but I've gone through and done some minimal processing and the results are truly impressive.  In looking at the DOF Master website, I was so close on some of these shots a week ago that shooting at f/2.8 gave me a DOF of under 1 foot in some cases.  That might be great for a portrait or in food photography but that absolutely does not work when trying to get two or three athletes in sharp focus (or even one for that matter)

I also changed some of the settings in DPP (turned off NR completely).

I'm no longer fantasizing about tossing my 7D into a lake now!  It truly is capable of producing stunning images and instead of looking at a 5D3 I may set my sights on a 7D2 instead (cheaper and the extra reach is a big plus for sports).

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYBODY for all of your help and advice...to everyone who replied here and who PM'd me.  You've restored my faith in this camera and I'm really looking forward to future outings now that I know what I'm doing!!

Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Re: THANKS EVERYONE!! (FROM THE OP)
In reply to steve88, Mar 17, 2013

Yeah! So glad to hear this. It is amazing what a few tweaks to the settings can do. Hope you will share some of the new pics.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
In reply to steve88, Mar 18, 2013

steve88 wrote:

So, I shot five softball games this weekend under varying conditions...night, sunny, and cloudy on all three days (Friday-Sunday). I made some modifications to the custom focusing menus on my 7D (based on some PM's I received) and I also shot at higher apertures (instead of 2.8 I moved it up to 5.6 to 8) and guess what?

I HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY SHARPER IMAGES THAT POP!! AMAZING!!

I don't have anything finished yet in DPP or LR3 but I've gone through and done some minimal processing and the results are truly impressive. In looking at the DOF Master website, I was so close on some of these shots a week ago that shooting at f/2.8 gave me a DOF of under 1 foot in some cases. That might be great for a portrait or in food photography but that absolutely does not work when trying to get two or three athletes in sharp focus (or even one for that matter)

I'm no longer fantasizing about tossing my 7D into a lake now! It truly is capable of producing stunning images and instead of looking at a 5D3 I may set my sights on a 7D2 instead (cheaper and the extra reach is a big plus for sports).

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYBODY for all of your help and advice...to everyone who replied here and who PM'd me. You've restored my faith in this camera and I'm really looking forward to future outings now that I know what I'm doing!!

Care to share some of those mods with the custom focusing menus?

Zee Char
Like?
Re: These are mine
In reply to Zee Char, Mar 18, 2013

Zee Char wrote:

steve88 wrote:

So, I shot five softball games this weekend under varying conditions...night, sunny, and cloudy on all three days (Friday-Sunday). I made some modifications to the custom focusing menus on my 7D (based on some PM's I received) and I also shot at higher apertures (instead of 2.8 I moved it up to 5.6 to 8) and guess what?

I don't have anything finished yet in DPP or LR3 but I've gone through and done some minimal processing and the results are truly impressive. In looking at the DOF Master website, I was so close on some of these shots a week ago that shooting at f/2.8 gave me a DOF of under 1 foot in some cases. That might be great for a portrait or in food photography but that absolutely does not work when trying to get two or three athletes in sharp focus (or even one for that matter)

I'm no longer fantasizing about tossing my 7D into a lake now! It truly is capable of producing stunning images and instead of looking at a 5D3 I may set my sights on a 7D2 instead (cheaper and the extra reach is a big plus for sports).

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYBODY for all of your help and advice...to everyone who replied here and who PM'd me. You've restored my faith in this camera and I'm really looking forward to future outings now that I know what I'm doing!!

CF III.1 - AI Servo Sensitivity - set to 1 up from slow.

CF III.2 - AI Servo 1st/2nd img prio - set to 0 AF/Tracking

CF III.3 - AI Servo AF Tracking method - set to 1 Continuous Track priority

CF III.4 - Lens Drive when AF impossible - Focus search off

steve88
Like?
Sure, Here They Are...
In reply to Zee Char, Mar 18, 2013

Zee Char wrote:

steve88 wrote:

This is what I got through PM from two people who shoot birds with their 7D's...hope this helps!

=================

Shoot RAW

Noise Reduction off

AI Servo

High Speed Continuous (learn to shoot in bursts of 3 and 4 while continuously tracking target

I always use back button focus... set it to the * button... do it and never look back...

Now to go into the Menu... C. FnIII: Autofocus Drive

AI servo tracking Sensitivity... set between Slow and the midpoint (I know you want set it on fast but don't)

AI servo 1st/2nd img priority... set this to 0: AF priority/Tracking Priority

AI Servo AF tracking method... set to 1:Continuous AF track priority

Lens Drive when AF impossible My Preference is to set to Focus Search On

Manual AF pt. selec. pattern: set to 0:Stops at AF area edges

Display all AF Points: 0:Disable

Focus Display in AI Servo/MF 0:Enable

Orientation linked AF point: 0:Same for both Vertic. horiz.

Then you have to decide how to set your AF points.... as a novice it is reasonable to shoot at Auto Select.: 19 point AF

I prefer the Man. Select.: AF point Expansion

=================

Zee Char
Like?
Re: Sure, Here They Are...

Thanks.

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,461Gear list
Like?

steve88 wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to make a follow up post.

I'm glad to hear that things are working for you.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads