Wimp 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,071
Like?
Re: Yes, I'm shallow - I want a black SEL50F18
In reply to creeker, Mar 10, 2013

creeker wrote:

Home Depot and Loews, and many hardware stores sell small cans of black paint.

Actually a good idea. It's a $90 lens anyway.  That gaudy silver must have been leveled at certain markets that mistake electronics for jewelry.

capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518Gear list
Like?
In reply to creeker, Mar 10, 2013

Sony Store gave me full credit for my Gently used 50 1.8 silver bullitt in trade for a 35 1.8 (Black)

and now I use a 50 1.7 Minolta AF lens (black) with the LA 2 adapter (black) when I need a 50.

The 18-200 never  looked out of place and the 16 with WAA looks fine in Silver at least to me

but the 50 did look odd maybe it's the shape of it , Sony did make a run of the 18-55 in Black

for certain bodies if I remember Correct.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +22 more
HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, Mar 10, 2013

Tuloom wrote:

creeker wrote:

Home Depot and Loews, and many hardware stores sell small cans of black paint.

Actually a good idea. It's a $90 lens anyway. That gaudy silver must have been leveled at certain markets that mistake electronics for jewelry.

Please drop me a line the next time you see a SEL50F18 for $90, will 'ya?

Seriously, though - I wouldn't paint one without total disassembly, too many VOCs to cause damage.  And if you're going to go to the trouble to disassemble one, just have it anodized black and be done with it.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 866
Like?
In reply to HeavyDuty, Mar 10, 2013

HeavyDuty wrote:

spacemn wrote:

Would it change your mind if you knew than many shoot black Leica M body with a silver lens?

A choice would be nice, but black and silver combination is not bad, especially when the lens is actually metal and not gimmicky silver coating on plastic like many Olympus lenses.

I don't use chrome lenses on my Leica, either. For one thing, chrome finished Leitz lenses are usually much heavier than their black finished brethren.
--
Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

Well, then what about the silver 50mm 1.4 Summilux, which is made in silver and black, not chrome?

Steve Huff, for example, is shooting a brand new Leica M with his silver lens. To me its good and different, but it's a matter of taste.

I would personally prefer that Sony spent more energy developing new lenses in stead of complicating production, by introducing new tone lenses.

creeker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
I don't like a silver, or a black one
In reply to HeavyDuty, Mar 11, 2013

I don't want silver or black.

Now that's um, um goooood

chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't like a silver, or a black one
In reply to creeker, Mar 11, 2013

creeker wrote:

I don't want silver or black.

Now that's um, um goooood

Post of the DAY!!!!! LMAO!!!

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
randyh360
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to HeavyDuty, Mar 11, 2013

I personally can't stand the look of the new shiny black lenses on the NEX's silver mount. I think they look cheap and don't match the finish of the black bodies. At least the silver ones match the mount and look like they belong on the camera. I'm ashamed to admit that I get a little angry every time I put on my SEL35F18.

I just wish Sony would follow Tamron and Sigma's lead and produce their lenses in both black and silver. Can it really be that hard? Not only do some of us prefer the silver lenses, they're basically alienating everyone that doesn't have a black NEX. Who in their right mind would want a black lens on a silver, white, red, pink, etc. camera?

J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
agreeed.
In reply to iceccream, Mar 11, 2013

iceccream wrote:

agreed. the silver looks cheap. but then sony probably retain the black for their more 'premium' lenses.

I think that's what Sony is doing..

It would be nice if the base color was black. They can add an accented ring with a different color to their "premium" lenses.. ie) like the red ring around "L" series, Gold ring around Pentax DA*.

J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads