Blue Morpho Butterfly - DP2M

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions
Dabbler
Dabbler Senior Member • Posts: 2,038
Blue Morpho Butterfly - DP2M

This week I spent the afternoon at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens as the annual orchid show was in progress. I carried XE-1, Nikon V2 and DP2M. There were lots of butterflies about and after one of the tours they released even more in the atrium which mimics the Costa Rican tropical rainforest.

I happened to be using my DP2M when a Blue Morpho happily landed nearby and I was able to get the shot before it flitted away. Blue Morphos typically close their wings when feeding so the only chance you get to catch their irridescent blue patterns is when they are in flight and devilishly hard to shoot. This time I just got lucky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotogrotto/8536791997/lightbox/

Thanks for viewing.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7S +16 more
Nikon 1 V2 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lin Evans
Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,628
Re: Blue Morpho Butterfly - DP2M

Dabbler wrote:

This week I spent the afternoon at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens as the annual orchid show was in progress. I carried XE-1, Nikon V2 and DP2M. There were lots of butterflies about and after one of the tours they released even more in the atrium which mimics the Costa Rican tropical rainforest.

I happened to be using my DP2M when a Blue Morpho happily landed nearby and I was able to get the shot before it flitted away. Blue Morphos typically close their wings when feeding so the only chance you get to catch their irridescent blue patterns is when they are in flight and devilishly hard to shoot. This time I just got lucky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotogrotto/8536791997/lightbox/

Thanks for viewing.

Hi Michael,

Beautiful capture! The Morpho's are difficult to catch. If the shutter speed had been a bit higher the motion blur on the left wing would probably have been insignificant but it's difficult with a camera like the DP2M to quickly change that and still get the shot.

I've had some good luck with shooting these at our own "Butterfly Pavilion" in the Denver, Colorado area. I've tried numerous cameras and combinations, but have yet to try my DP2 M there. Sometimes the spray and pray of some of my pro-level, high buffer and frame rate dSLR's have been successful, but often just lots of patience and hundreds of frames to get that one significant keeper!

This one is a keeper for sure!

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,520
Re: Blue Morpho Butterfly - DP2M

Very nice, I was just at a butterfly exhibit this morning (the Butterfly Pavilion Lin mentioned) this morning and it was cold enough that I never saw a morpho open wings even once... good job on a fast moving target.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads