5D Classic vs Fuji Ex-1

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions
David Mintzer
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
5D Classic vs Fuji Ex-1
Mar 9, 2013

I just sold my Canon gear and I'm thinking of taking a dive into the world of mirror less.   I use to shoot with a Canon 5D Classic that wasn't actually a road runner when it came to auto focus.  My question for any of you who have shot with the classic 5D and the Fuji, how would you compare there auto focusing.  I love the image quality and do hope I can live with the AF.  Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: 5D Classic vs Fuji Ex-1
In reply to David Mintzer, Mar 9, 2013

I went the opposite way from the x-pro 1 to the 5Dc. to be honest, the 5Dc has waaaay quicker AF IMO, and its def not known for good autofocus. I dont remember what firmware I had on my xp1, I just remember it was the 1st one that was supposed to drastically increase AF performance  It still, wasnt even close. Even in good lighting.

Just my experience though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
The 5D "classic" is much faster

Especially if you shoot with the 35/1.4 or 60/2.4. The 18/2 is a lot faster to focus and is sort-of-ballpark-ish with the 5D.

rjsam
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: The 5D "classic" is much faster
In reply to David McGaughey, Mar 9, 2013

I had the 5d and now the XP1 which is basically the samr as the XE1. 5D def is faster to focus and to operate, no doubt. Sometimes I wish I still have a dslr in some situations. But the shooting experience is totally different. Its very refreshing to shoot with the fuji which makes it magical lol. Srs.

Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?

David Mintzer wrote:

I just sold my Canon gear and I'm thinking of taking a dive into the world of mirror less. I use to shoot with a Canon 5D Classic that wasn't actually a road runner when it came to auto focus. My question for any of you who have shot with the classic 5D and the Fuji, how would you compare there auto focusing. I love the image quality and do hope I can live with the AF. Thanks in advance.

This really depends on the lens. A Canon lens with ring USM (e.g., EF 135mm f/2L) will focus much faster than one with a micromotor (e.g., EF 50mm f/1.8). I'd place all the Fuji lenses (and even some of my FD lenses!) somewhere in between.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

George Horning 9000
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
In reply to Antone, Mar 9, 2013

Can anyone speak about image quality between these two cameras?

George Horning 9000's gear list:George Horning 9000's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D40 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +3 more
David Mintzer
Like?
In reply to George Horning 9000, Mar 9, 2013

Thanks so much for the input.  I was guessing that's what you guys would say.

Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to George Horning 9000, Mar 9, 2013

George Horning 9000 wrote:

Can anyone speak about image quality between these two cameras?

It will beat the 5D in resolution, dynamic range and noise at high ISO. The 5D wins the potential in bokeh and has a lot more options for lenses, particularly macro and long telephotos. Choose your poison.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197
Like?

The 5Dc is so cheap now. Coupled with the 50/1.8 you have a great combo at around $600. I'm thinking to get one just for portrait.

Combatmedic870
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?

David Mintzer wrote:

I just sold my Canon gear and I'm thinking of taking a dive into the world of mirror less. I use to shoot with a Canon 5D Classic that wasn't actually a road runner when it came to auto focus. My question for any of you who have shot with the classic 5D and the Fuji, how would you compare there auto focusing. I love the image quality and do hope I can live with the AF. Thanks in advance.

I think the IQ of the 5dc is pretty....it has something to it that i have never found in another camera (besides the 1dsmk2). There is just something to them files that nothing has yet to match.

The XE-1 has some nice files, nothing close to the 5d though. Just how it is. Everyone just gets over it and moves on due to the age of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Ryan,

Combatmedic870's gear list:Combatmedic870's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to David Mintzer, Mar 12, 2013

Tell you what, they both make some wonderful files. I sometimes miss my XP1. And if it wasn't for the focusing not meeting my needs, I think I'd still have it. On the other hand, I do welcome the seemingly endless world of lenses and accessories a mainstream DSLR like this offers.

BTW I was using the 35mm on the XP1 which as I understand IS slower than the 18mm. But if I never switched back to DSLR I would have never gotten a chance to pick up my SIgma 35mm 1.4 which is just an amazing lens. I loved Fuji's 35mm too but the Sigma just out edges it. Overall I think its a hard decision to make. 5D is cheaper though

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588
Like?
In reply to newone757, Mar 12, 2013

It depends on what lens you are using, but overall I've found that the 5D classic is faster than the XP1. We're also talking CDAF vs. PDAF. The 5D is faster, but not as accurate. It's one of the reasons micro adjustments for lenses was introduced. I only have L-glass, so my experiences may be different than others. I tried a cheap Sigma Macro on my 5D and it was quite a bit slower and hunted a bit. In this situation I'd say the XP1 is faster, but true Macro's are usually a bit slower on the whole. Under the same situation, my 50 prime locked accurate focus quickly without hesitation.

Anthony Clark
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to newone757, Mar 13, 2013

I second newone, here. In preparing for a trip to Japan and China I deliberated between a Fuji X-E1, X100s, or bringing my 5Dc. I had an X100s pre-ordered, but given I didn't think it would arrive in time, I picked up the Sigma 35mm 1.4 and was completely taken by it. The lens is absolutely as good as everyone says it is (at least as good as and likely better than the 35L in my opinion, for less money).

I've been traveling through Kyoto and Tokyo and am now in Beijing and have essentially used just the Sigma with amazing results. The color, sharpness, depth of field control, bokeh, AF speed, and build quality are all stellar. There is a noticeable difference in DOF between f1.4 on full frame and f2.0 on APS-C. I've copied below a few samples from Japan in a range of locations (temple, train station, fish market). Although the 5D and 35 1.4 combo is certainly heavier and larger than an X cam, I had no trouble carrying it with me all day with a wrist/hand strap (not necessarily true for others).

I had a chance to shoot with an X100s in the store in Kyoto and brought along an SD card. I was impressed by the autofocus speed and the quality of the files I brought home. I am a convert to the 35mm focal length and still may try to get my hands on an X100s, but in the meantime I'm thrilled with the Canon/Sigma combination.

C&C on the photos below welcome!

- Anthony

Intersection in Arashiyama

Arashiyama driveway

Floating lotus flower pods on approach to Tenryu-Ji

Early cherry blossoms on approach to Tenryu-Ji temple

Tokyo fish market octopus

David Mintzer
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Mar 13, 2013

I want to thank everyone for their excellent thoughts!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads