Just used a Spyder3. How do I know that my monitor is properly calibrated?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Questions
davidgp
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Just used a Spyder3. How do I know that my monitor is properly calibrated?
Mar 8, 2013

For the first time ever, I just used a Spyder3 Pro to calibrate my Dell U2211 monitor.  Previously I used one of the canned calibration recommendations for my monitor from a monitor review site (I forget which one).

After using the Spyder 3 I am shocked at how much redder it is.  Most of my pictures will need to be redeveloped if this setting is correct.  Is there any way I can confirm the monitor is properly calibrated?

I expected the Spyder 3 to make some minor adjustments, not this radical change.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

David

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
ANSWER:
Pictus
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,750
Like?
Re: Just used a Spyder3. How do I know that my monitor is properly calibrated?
In reply to davidgp, Mar 9, 2013

Print some targets through a professional printer, to compare the image with the monitor, do not forget to tell the guys at the print bureau to not “correct”/alter your files...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?49ahiwm5ukfu6c9
http://www.peak-imaging.com/images/fujical/Fujical.jpg

Info you may find interesting http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42063694

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,790Gear list
Like?

What software did you get with the Spyder3?  Is it the Express, Pro, or Elite?

If it is either the Pro or Elite then you will get the best, longest lasting, and more reliable calibration if you use the Advanced mode and manually adjust the monitor brightness, contrast, and individual R, G, & B values.

Open the calibration software then use the Go/Preferences command to open the Preferences pop-up window.  Click on Advanced Settings and select Advanced and Show RGB Sliders as an option in the Identify Color Controls screen.  Click on the OKs to get back to the main screen.

Now when you calibrate you will see a graph in the upper right hand corner showing the current setting and correct range for the manual adjustments.  Just below the right hand corner of the information box is where you click to get a new reading.

Once you adjust all the manual controls so that the settings fall withing the correct range the software will take over and finish the color calibration.

How do you know if it is correct?  The best way I know is to buy a ColorChecker Passport, photograph it, run the image though the software to produce a color correction profile for either Photoshop ACR or Lightroom, color correct the image of the Passport, then visually compare the screen image with the actual Passport, which must me illuminated by the right color temperature lighting with a brightness that makes it appear to be about as bright as the screen.

If all this sounds complicated it is, but it is basically what you have to do.  There just aren't any real shortcuts.

By the way, I use a Passport with almost every photo shoot.  Even in a studio setting with the same light set up I use the Passport if it has been more than a month since the lights can change slightly as they age.  If color control is important then the Passport is one of the best investments you can make.

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport – X-Rite Photo – X-Rite Passport

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,785
Like?

Try downloading the basICColor Display software.  You'll have to register, but there is a 14-day trial.  Use its Verification mode (you can use it with your Spyder 3 puck) to check your monitor's response.  If its way off, you might just go ahead and use it to calibrate your monitor.  It is far better calibration software than Spyder.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Pictus
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,750
Like?
In reply to gollywop, Mar 9, 2013

Why pay for basICColor Display when Argyll+dispcalGUI is free and better?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50454217
BTW, basICColor Display is not much "forgiving" for cheap hardware, it is
aimed at high end hardware.

davidgp
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Mar 9, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

What software did you get with the Spyder3? Is it the Express, Pro, or Elite?

If it is either the Pro or Elite then you will get the best, longest lasting, and more reliable calibration if you use the Advanced mode and manually adjust the monitor brightness, contrast, and individual R, G, & B values.

Open the calibration software then use the Go/Preferences command to open the Preferences pop-up window. Click on Advanced Settings and select Advanced and Show RGB Sliders as an option in the Identify Color Controls screen. Click on the OKs to get back to the main screen.

Now when you calibrate you will see a graph in the upper right hand corner showing the current setting and correct range for the manual adjustments. Just below the right hand corner of the information box is where you click to get a new reading.

Once you adjust all the manual controls so that the settings fall withing the correct range the software will take over and finish the color calibration.

How do you know if it is correct? The best way I know is to buy a ColorChecker Passport, photograph it, run the image though the software to produce a color correction profile for either Photoshop ACR or Lightroom, color correct the image of the Passport, then visually compare the screen image with the actual Passport, which must me illuminated by the right color temperature lighting with a brightness that makes it appear to be about as bright as the screen.

If all this sounds complicated it is, but it is basically what you have to do. There just aren't any real shortcuts.

By the way, I use a Passport with almost every photo shoot. Even in a studio setting with the same light set up I use the Passport if it has been more than a month since the lights can change slightly as they age. If color control is important then the Passport is one of the best investments you can make.

X-Rite ColorChecker Passport – X-Rite Photo – X-Rite Passport

Thanks so much, everyone, especially Sailor Blue... I used the advanced settings (I have the Pro edition of the Spyder3) as you recommended and now have excellent color.  I am thrilled!  I was starting to wonder if I threw my money away, but in seeing the final results it is worth every penny I paid.

Thanks also to Pictus... In the past 24 hours I've read many of your postings on calibration; they have been a huge help.  I have bookmarked some of them because of the valuable links they contain.

David

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads