Faulty lens or am I asking too much of it?!

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Questions
pw3010
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Faulty lens or am I asking too much of it?!
Mar 7, 2013

I recently purchased a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, and I'm getting some good shots out of it, but I'm also noticing some issues.

On getting towards the lenses maximum zoom, I'm seeing a very noticeable halo effect. I've included a couple of images below, with some of the worst areas ringed. Note that I did not have the lens hood on when I took these shots. Would it make a significant difference?  I'm using a HOYA Pro1 UV filter on the lens, to protect it as much as anything else.

Do any owners of this lens recognize the issue, or am I looking at a faulty lens here?

Thanks,

Pete

Canon 5d mk ii, focal length 400mm, f/5.6, ISO 400, shutter 1/800

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,780
Like?
Re: Faulty lens or am I asking too much of it?!
In reply to pw3010, Mar 7, 2013

In the first shot, all you're seeing is the effect of twigs (or a wire fence?) between yourself and the subject, which are so far out of focus that they're not visible as such but they affect the image behind.

I'm less sure about the second shot but it's quite possibly the same thing.

If you just take a simple shot with no possible obstructions, do you get a sharp image?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,136
Like?

pw3010 wrote:

first thing to do: take off the filter.  lots of reports (search for it) that the 100-400 can have issues with filters. Retry then without filter.

Second thing, these halo's are in out of focus regions. Again, the 100-400 is not great for bokeh and can have issues with busy back- and foregrounds (branches).

I recently purchased a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, and I'm getting some good shots out of it, but I'm also noticing some issues.

On getting towards the lenses maximum zoom, I'm seeing a very noticeable halo effect. I've included a couple of images below, with some of the worst areas ringed. Note that I did not have the lens hood on when I took these shots. Would it make a significant difference? I'm using a HOYA Pro1 UV filter on the lens, to protect it as much as anything else.

Do any owners of this lens recognize the issue, or am I looking at a faulty lens here?

Thanks,

Pete

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

Aussie Coop
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?

What about trying it without the UV filter ?

^ ^ ^yeh just what Photonious said lol .

I had a problem with my 24-105 and a Hoya HD uv filter, got rid of the filter and havent used a UV ever since.

Aussie Coop's gear list:Aussie Coop's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
pw3010
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

Thanks for the answers folks.  Lots to try out then!

I just need to get down the park on a sunny day again now, to test the possible solutions.  Could be a challenge in the UK at the moment 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads