Olympus OM-D E-M5 really cheap grip.

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions
juansalva
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M5 really cheap grip.
Mar 7, 2013

Hello everyone! I am new to posting in forums. Like many of you, I too have been searching for an inexpensive grip to compensate the lack of it on the OM-D. Recently I came across with what I think is a really cheap, non-bulk-and-light solution, and I want to share it with the community.

I find outrageous the price that Olympus charges for the HLD-6 grip, and let's not go into the matter selling the hoods separately from their lenses while having to pay rape prices for the hoods. Oh well, that is the subject for another forum.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial or otherwise relationship with the company which makes the product that I am writing about. I purchased the product myself for around $13 including shipping. I am not recommending it, I am simply sharing my findings.

Check out the different grips made by a company called Flipbac (www.flipbac.com), among them there is one that was recently released called G3 - Flipbac Camera Grip 3 - Narrow 2nd Edition, the way to tell between versions is that the newer Narrow 2nd Edition doesn't have the model number molded onto the grip itself. Its dimensions are 38mm in height by 19mm in width and around 7mm in thickness..

I have been using the camera with the grip for few days, and handling the camera is way better.

The only time it feels a bit cramped between the lens and the fingers is in those rare occasions when I am hand holding the Panasonic 100-400 with a tripod clamp attached. Other than that, the grip is comfortable with other lenses I use.

Please keep in mind that depending on the size of the fingers, this solution may not work for all of you OM-D owners. As with anything, let me add, not everyone will like it for one reason or another. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I have no doubt that the approach to a grip presented by Mr. John Milich is much better, I'll soon probably purchase one. For now while on a tight budget, this works and doesn't add a lot of weight or size to the camera.

Cheers!

Flipbac Camera Grip 3 - Narrow 2nd Edition

I placed the grip 8mm from the edge of the top of the camera's grip

VIEW FROM BOTTOM OF CAMERA

Side view

Two fingers rest easily on the grip

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Fastened by?
In reply to juansalva, Mar 7, 2013

It does look like a viable solution for many people depending on the way it is fastened to the body...  glue?

Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Fastened by?
In reply to dcassat, Mar 7, 2013

Hey, that`s pretty cool never thought of glue

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
juansalva
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Fastened by?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Mar 8, 2013

From the manufacturer's web site:

The no-mess 3M adhesive has a strong, secure hold but also allows the grip to be removed without leaving residue or damaging the camera body. After removing the grip, cover the adhesive with the original backing material for storage so that you can reattach the grip.

http://www.flipbac.com/camera-grip-about.htm

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 really cheap grip.
In reply to juansalva, Mar 8, 2013

For a cheap solution, it looks good.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,188Gear list
Like?
Wow - these are pure Richard Franiac imitations....
In reply to juansalva, Mar 8, 2013

Richard Franiac has been making this style grip for countless cameras and he's often featured on various forums (to which he makes camera grips for).  This company featured here is certainly taking his idea and running with it (I wonder if Richard has a patent on his designs, or....if, in fact, this is Richard's company under a different heading).

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +26 more
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to juansalva, Mar 9, 2013

Holding the OMD EM5 isn't a problem for me, but I thought I would try a stick-on grip for my EPM1 and another bar-of-soap camera I own. We'll see,

These don't look like Franiac knock-offs to me. Just molded rubber/silicon in a different shape, with adhesive.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow - these are pure Richard Franiac imitations....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Mar 10, 2013

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Richard Franiac has been making this style grip for countless cameras and he's often featured on various forums (to which he makes camera grips for). This company featured here is certainly taking his idea and running with it (I wonder if Richard has a patent on his designs, or....if, in fact, this is Richard's company under a different heading).

They have been producing these grips for years and I purchased a three item-set for my E-PL3 to years ago to test which one would suit me best. Buit i never would have come to the idea to use them for the E-M5 too as I hadn't believed they would stick on its material. Interesting indeed.

And these grips are made of rubber while Richard's are metal.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
SayCheesePlease
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow - these are pure Richard Franiac imitations....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Apr 9, 2013

Are you Richards best buddy?

Richard copied OEM grips that were on previous cameras. Richard makes fine custom machined aluminum grips for US$40 plus shipping. Flipbac makes high density silicon grips for $10.  This is the same silicon material that Nikon and Canon use on their cameras.

The flipbac grips work "as well " with $30 still in my pocket.

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,153Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 really cheap grip from China?.
In reply to juansalva, Apr 9, 2013

I am baffled with this grip situation. China comes out with cheap grips for every nikon and canon available, even came out with some Olympus clones. And now, one of the better sellers of M4/3 systems out there and no grips ??

Hard to believe. Bummer.

Whoever comes out with a true clone grip from China, I believe will make a bundle of money. It would be great to have a vertical button, built in remote control, etc.

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/bobhandal/BANNERXPEDITION1.jpg

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
In reply to juansalva, Apr 9, 2013

Looks like you need to be double jointed to use that contraption. Who holds a camera like that?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,511Gear list
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Apr 9, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

Looks like you need to be double jointed to use that contraption. Who holds a camera like that?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Those fingers are two close to the lens barrel.

I think the JB Design grip is much much better as a cheap grip.  If you can afford the E-M5, you should be able to afford this $46 grip.  Much more comfortable.  The edges are slightly sharp, but 15 minutes of work using a very fine file or sandpaper will fix them.

Soon, there should be some cheaper version similar to the JB one, but much cheaper, made in China.

ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 9, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

For a cheap solution, it looks good.

It looks tacky to me.  I just purchased the actual grip and now my OMD feels amazing.

I see Olympus had $50 off through April 20th.  Forget the stick-on and get the real thing.

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/featured_weekly_deals/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=redirect_offers

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads