R3000 Refillable Cartridges or CIS

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions
camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
R3000 Refillable Cartridges or CIS
Mar 7, 2013

I have been doing some more reading on this printer and am now a little confused as to whether I should go for refillable cartridges or a cis. Those companies offering the tubed cis say that continually removing and installing the cartridges will provide wear and tear on the cartridge seals therby reducing the cartridges life expectancy and possibly introducing air into the system.

Should I stick with my original plan of refillable cartridges.

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,390
Like?
Re: R3000 Refillable Cartridges or CIS
In reply to camerashy, Mar 7, 2013

Not in that Epson model but I found (as have others) CIS systems can cause problems. I started using refillable cartridges in two different models about 4 years ago - they go in and out fairly regularly and no sealing problem to date. In any event, it is not exactly difficult to make new seals - they are only rings of thin plastic after all. I always refill every cartridge, even if only one is shown as needing to be replaced. I reset the chips on every one as well. Then when they go back, only one cleaning cycle takes place - instead of one for every cartridge replaced individually.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,465
Like?
Re: R3000 Refillable Cartridges or CIS
In reply to Zone8, Mar 8, 2013

Zone8 wrote:

Not in that Epson model but I found (as have others) CIS systems can cause problems. I started using refillable cartridges in two different models about 4 years ago - they go in and out fairly regularly and no sealing problem to date. In any event, it is not exactly difficult to make new seals - they are only rings of thin plastic after all. I always refill every cartridge, even if only one is shown as needing to be replaced. I reset the chips on every one as well. Then when they go back, only one cleaning cycle takes place - instead of one for every cartridge replaced individually.

My approximately 1 year old R3000 never does a clean with one cartridge replacement, or a complete set replaced at the same time.  These are Cone refillable carts.  In fact, my R3000 has only performed 3 auto-cleans in 1 year, 800+ prints, waste ink pad count at 8%.  I like it that way and hope it stays in that mode.

Bob P.

estherlee
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
My experience so far
In reply to camerashy, Mar 8, 2013

camerashy wrote:

I have been doing some more reading on this printer and am now a little confused as to whether I should go for refillable cartridges or a cis. Those companies offering the tubed cis say that continually removing and installing the cartridges will provide wear and tear on the cartridge seals therby reducing the cartridges life expectancy and possibly introducing air into the system.

Should I stick with my original plan of refillable cartridges.

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

I probably cannot comment on the refillable carts, however I have excellent experience with inkrepublic's R3000 system and its IRK4-nano inks. It's been a while. no problem so far. I really like the tubes that can be stationed on the printer panel, it does not move at all and wont cause any tubing problem like other CIS does. In other word, it works as great (or better) as a refillable cartridges. You dont have to remove the entire carts to reset ink levels. Once you install, you dont have to touch anything on the carts. Just one button to reset ink level and refill inks from the bottle end. It just works.

camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
Re: My experience so far
In reply to estherlee, Mar 8, 2013

Thanks Bob for the detailed information and esterlee....... I can see the benefits of a cis rather than refillable cartridges so thanks for your experience too.

Dave

-- hide signature --

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,127Gear list
Like?
Re: My experience so far
In reply to camerashy, Mar 9, 2013

Used a CIS with my r2880 and had nothing but problems with it.  But that was with a system where the ink supply travels along with the print head, so the tubes were always moving with the print head.  When I got the r3000 I changed to refillable cartridges from Cone Inks.  They have performed flawlessly, and the ink match is perfect or better.  It's probably true that a CIS would work OK with a printer like the r3000 where the ink supply is fixed.  But I'm not messing with success.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads