Macro lens on 60D

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
batfinkgtr
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Macro lens on 60D
Mar 6, 2013

I am looking at trying to take close ups of some of the corals and fish in my reef tank, but am struggling with the lenses I have currently.

Best images are from my 70-300L, but I have to be miles from the tank for it to focus.  My 50f1.8 and 85f1.8 aren't a great deal better, so was thinking about investing in a dedicated marco lens for this sort of work.

But what would be a good fit and reasonable lens for the 60D.  Was thinking the 100mm macro, but that is 160mm on my camera, was hoping for something shorter.

Any advice??

Cheers,

Gary

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Messiah Complex
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro lens on 60D
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 6, 2013

Canon also makes an EF-S 60mm Macro that is well reviewed, but something else you could consider is picking up a set of extension tubes that would allow you to turn your 50mm f/1.8 into an excellent macro lens.  You lose infinity focus, but it's an inexpensive way to experiment with macro before taking the plunge on a lens.

Messiah Complex's gear list:Messiah Complex's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,966Gear list
Like?
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 7, 2013

You could also try a 25mm extension tube to use with your 50 and 85mm lenses. This will let you to focus closer with the lenses and achieve higher magnification.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Monviso View
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
In reply to biza43, Mar 7, 2013

Try the 70-300 at 100 - I find it a very comfortable working distance as it's easier to avoid shadows.

Otherwise there's a Canon 60 2.8 or a Tamron 60 2.0.

nightfly
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?

I'd second the suggestions concerning extension tubes. That would be the most economical, and not necessarily a bad solution.
In case you decide to go for a dedicated macro lens, I can recommend the Sigma 105/2.8 OS. I use that on my 60D and it is excellent. Even though the AF is slightly slower than in Canon's 100 L, the Sigma is sharper across the frame. Not to mention that the Sigma is significantly cheaper...

-- hide signature --

Andreas
-----------------------------------
Working on http://nightfly.square7.ch

nightfly's gear list:nightfly's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +2 more
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?
100L

100L

http://dpics.us/aquarium/index.html#folder=

batfinkgtr wrote:

I am looking at trying to take close ups of some of the corals and fish in my reef tank, but am struggling with the lenses I have currently.

Best images are from my 70-300L, but I have to be miles from the tank for it to focus. My 50f1.8 and 85f1.8 aren't a great deal better, so was thinking about investing in a dedicated marco lens for this sort of work.

But what would be a good fit and reasonable lens for the 60D. Was thinking the 100mm macro, but that is 160mm on my camera, was hoping for something shorter.

Any advice??

Cheers,

Gary

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
batfinkgtr
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: 100L
In reply to MAC, Mar 8, 2013

Thanks for the input chaps, appreciated.

Might look at the extension tube option first, see how that works, and if I get into it, then maybe a dedicated lens.

Any advantage to getting the Canon extension tubes, after all its only a spacer with fresh air in it, unless there are communication issues between camera and lens with a non-Canon tube.

Thanks

Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 8, 2013

I got into macro about a year ago and since then have acquired the Canon EF-100mmL macro, the EF-S60mm macro, a set of extension tubes and a focussing rail.   The 60mm lets you get 1-1 magnification but you are much closer to the target than using the 100mm, so if it is insects and suchlike you are after the 60mm will probably scare them away.    For something static, the focussing rail - not expensive - gives you rock-steady focussing and you can use the 60mm.  I got my extension tubes (metal) from Adorama in NYC (not expensive) and they work fine.   You could always try a reversing ring on your 50mm, but as you know DOF in macro is almost non-existent and I suspect you would find focussing very difficult.

If you can afford it and really want to get into macro, get the 100mmL, but the non-L version is almost as good and a lot cheaper.  If you have a steady hand, the focussing rail can wait, but it sure makes things easier!    Good luck with whatever you decide.

-- hide signature --

--
Giraffe

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,306Gear list
Like?
60 f/2.8
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 8, 2013

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-60mm-f-2.8-Macro-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The "mm" focal length doesn't make any difference.  What matters is how long the lens is, how heavy it is, and how closely it focuses.

Messiah Complex
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Re: 100L
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 11, 2013

There's no advantage to the Canon tubes because, as you say, it's just air.  Just make sure you get tubes with control contacts (usually marketed as AF-compatible), or else your lens will be stuck at the widest aperture.

I would be inclined to pay a bit more and get tubes with metal mounts, but that's just me.

Messiah Complex's gear list:Messiah Complex's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +4 more
jbjones
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 15, 2013

You can try the 500D close up filter for your 70-300, I recently got the filter to use on my 70-200 lens and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Examples. All handheld and just to test out the capabilities.

The first two also use the canon 2x TC.

jbjones's gear list:jbjones's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads