Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
NorthwestF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?
In reply to Ed B, Mar 7, 2013

Ed B wrote:

That's a good question but remember one thing: Zeiss doesn't make the "Zeiss" lenses for Sony cameras.

Zeiss lenses for Sony are designed by Zeiss but made by Sony

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
In reply to NorthwestF, Mar 7, 2013

NorthwestF wrote:

Ed B wrote:

That's a good question but remember one thing: Zeiss doesn't make the "Zeiss" lenses for Sony cameras.

Zeiss lenses for Sony are designed by Zeiss but made by Sony

The Zeiss Blog provides some more clarity:

Lenses for our CSC, we are using our longstanding global production network of trusted partners in the optical industry.The lenses will be manufactured in Japan.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
In reply to nrcole, Mar 7, 2013

I hadn't looked at it from that perspective, but after giving it some thought, I agree with you. It is nice to have options at different focal lengths in both price and performance. I still wish they (Sony or Zeiss) would fill the high performance (f2.8) midrange zoom area, though, before introducing all the focal length duplications.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,789Gear list
Like?
In reply to dpyy, Mar 7, 2013

dpyy wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Are the Zeiss E-mounts designed for full frame or APS-C?

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

It's e mount, I'm not sure why is that even a question? Unless you are implying FF NEX?

Ummm http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-NEX-VG900-Full-Frame-Camcorder/en/p/NEXVG900

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Mar 7, 2013

martindesu wrote:

13 lenses covering 28mm to 35mm

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Why do you have so much lens duplication?

Not duplication, unless you consider the Contax G 35/2 and the Zeiss ZM 35/2 close cousins.

They are all different lenses. They come from four different (use) periods -

• First: legacy SLR (OM and MD) which I already had in my possession
  • Then: RF for compactness, and speed (before the LA-EA2, Nex-7 and fast E mount lenses existed) [They are not best for Nex-7].
  • Next: A-mount for AF (since they were so cheap) after the LA-EA2 introducton
  • and Now: E mount lenses (both prime and zooms) when they finally came out
I am (was) eyeing the long rumored FF Nex, hence I am  holding on to the legacy and RF FF lenses. 
Otherwise, you are looking at
  1. MD 28/2.8
  2. OM 28/2.0
  3. CG 28/2.8
  4. E 30mm/3.5 Macro
  5. Sigma 30/2.8
  6. OM 35/2.8
  7. CG 35/2.0
  8. ZM 35/2.0
  9. CV 35/1.7
  10. E 35/1.8 OSS
  11. A 35/1.8
  12. E 1650 Kit Zoom
  13. E 1855 Kit Zoom 
I have/had some others, like the Fujian 35/1.7, Elmarit 28/2.8, etc., that are not in the picture, but you see really only 2 E primes, 1 A prime, 3 Legacy primes and 4 RF primes. Again, the only lens that would be a 'duplicate' would be the CG35 and ZM35.
Do I use them all? Not at all, lately I have been mostly grabbing the E35 and E1650. 
But if the weather picks up and work lets off a bit, I will grab some MF lenses to take some 'real' pictures  rather than the snapshots as of late. 
But to the earlier asked question - yes, these lenses all render differently, and it is fun comparing and understanding what they do and why. 
In terms of IQ, the Contax, Zeiss, and Sigma (yes) rank highest. In terms of character, the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton is a favorite, I also like the E and A 35mmIn terms of versatility, the E 1650 does well for me (I have a jacket that holds it neatly, ie. no bag).
There is no 'perfect' lens. Most days, I prefer AF and just 'snapping' away. This means E or A mount lenses. Other days, I like to use MF and get a higher IQ image.
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to jk2l, Mar 7, 2013

jk2l wrote:

Got a question how do OSS affect the IQ?

Only on a tripod.

There is the occasional 'blur' that the OSS can cause, but catching this is quite rare. Usually it helps during handheld shooting, if nothing else because the viewfinder is more stable. (Of course, OSS is a must for video).

Regular picture of a scene, taken with SEL18200

Same scene, same SEL18200, but OSS caused a 'blur' in the image

(No, I was not zooming in or out).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

Good point.

Hey Sony / ZEISS, how about 80mm?

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to NorthwestF, Mar 7, 2013

NorthwestF wrote:

Ed B wrote:

Zeiss lenses for Sony are designed by Zeiss but made by Sony

I was under the impression that Sony designed the lenses, then Zeiss approved the design as deserving the Zeiss name, then Sony manufactured them. Probably just a rumor?

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
In reply to cptrios, Mar 7, 2013

FWiW, on the FAQ post after the announcement of these lenses the engineer referred to the 24 as "the lens we developed with Sony." Not definitive but to me that sounds like more than just a rubber stamp and some QC. Optical designs are almost an art form and I don't think Zeiss or Leica would want anybody but themselves "designing" a Sonnar, Planar, Summilux or what have you. Maybe I'm romanticizing but I think a thousand dollars is more than people would stand for buying a glorified endorsement.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

The Zeiss ZM lenses I owned had remarkable flare resistance. Zeiss lens coating technology does improve performance. Their optical results also exceeded Nikon's best efforts.   Small improvements in performance and manufacturing quality control cost money.

The value of the increase in performance and quality is totally subjective. Each photographer will decide that for themselves. For a variety of reasons, there is always a market for high-quality products.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,070
Like?
In reply to nrcole, Mar 7, 2013

nrcole wrote:

FWiW, on the FAQ post after the announcement of these lenses the engineer referred to the 24 as "the lens we developed with Sony." Not definitive but to me that sounds like more than just a rubber stamp and some QC. Optical designs are almost an art form and I don't think Zeiss or Leica would want anybody but themselves "designing" a Sonnar, Planar, Summilux or what have you. Maybe I'm romanticizing but I think a thousand dollars is more than people would stand for buying a glorified endorsement.

Maybe I'm just a hard person to convince and too used to being duped by manufacturers who bend the truth.

It may have all started in the film days when I bought my first Leica camera. Expensive little thing that ended up being made 100% by Minolta.

P.T. Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute" and I've fallen into that category more than once.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads