Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?
Mar 6, 2013

I'm not sure I understand. I thought everyone loved the E35, so why are we duplicating lens at this time when we desperately needed more choices?

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shibbs
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Re: Why is Zeiss creating a 32/1.8 when there's already a sony one?
In reply to dpyy, Mar 6, 2013

So I wounder if sony will bring out a 24mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Zeiss is also making this for Fuji X-mount, but they have a 35/1.4 already that is an excellent lens. I guess they think people will buy it just because it's a Zeiss.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
dpyy
Like?
In reply to daddyman, Mar 6, 2013

daddyman wrote:

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Zeiss is also making this for Fuji X-mount, but they have a 35/1.4 already that is an excellent lens. I guess they think people will buy it just because it's a Zeiss.

Mike

For 4x the price?

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,200
Like?

That's a good question but remember one thing: Zeiss doesn't make the "Zeiss" lenses for Sony cameras.

Sony makes the Zeiss branded lenses for Sony cameras.

According to Sony & Zeiss these lenses are built to Zeiss specifications (whatever that means) but they aren't made by Zeiss.

Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?

$450 vs $1000 for the Zeiss.

We won't know the IQ till after its out, we can expect it to be at least as good as SEL35 but probably without OSS. Zeiss has always been the expensive competition. Some of their lenses will just not be worth the price increase though...SEL35 is really great enough..

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +2 more
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
12, 16, 19, 20, 24, 30, 32, 35, etc.

The 35mm is definitely a good lens, especially for the price, size, and OSS. However, I don't think it's ever a bad thing to have third party manufacturers to add some competition and provide more options to Sony native lenses. With Sigma and Zeiss, Sony will have 12, 16, 19, 20, 24, 30, 32, 35, etc covered. If I didn't have the 24mm already, I will likely make 32mm my go-to lens. I'd rather be in the slightly wider side of 50mm FOV.

As far as I understand, the existing Sony Carl Zeiss 24mm is a Sony-manufactured lens that borrowed Zeiss design and QC. The upcoming Zeiss lenses are Zeiss designed and manufactured. This is to say, Zeiss is independent of Sony with these lenses and can do whatever they want.

J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
random78
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed B, Mar 6, 2013

Ed B wrote:

That's a good question but remember one thing: Zeiss doesn't make the "Zeiss" lenses for Sony cameras.

According to Sony & Zeiss these lenses are built to Zeiss specifications (whatever that means) but they aren't made by Zeiss.

You are right that his is the case for lenses like the 24mm 1.8 for NEX or all the ZA lenses for Sony alpha. But these new lenses are different, they are not being released by Sony, they are going to be released by Zeiss themselves and they target both Sony and Fuji X system. These are not Sony lenses.

random78's gear list:random78's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Sony a6000
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,118
Like?

I think some (rich) people want the best IQ they can buy and they want all their lenses have the same"feel"to the picture (color rendering, micro contrast etc). So when Zeiss can give that, they will buy it.

And remember Zeiss is not after larfge numbers of sail, they are after high quality...(that is why they don't put OSS in their lenses as it may have bad influence on the IQ....

dpyy
Like?
In reply to nevercat, Mar 6, 2013

I think some (rich) people want the best IQ they can buy and they want all their lenses have the same"feel"to the picture (color rendering, micro contrast etc). So when Zeiss can give that, they will buy it.

And remember Zeiss is not after larfge numbers of sail, they are after high quality...(that is why they don't put OSS in their lenses as it may have bad influence on the IQ....

How much better IQ can you realistically expect from E35 without OSS?

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,200
Like?
In reply to random78, Mar 6, 2013

random78 wrote:

Ed B wrote:

You are right that his is the case for lenses like the 24mm 1.8 for NEX or all the ZA lenses for Sony alpha. But these new lenses are different, they are not being released by Sony, they are going to be released by Zeiss themselves and they target both Sony and Fuji X system. These are not Sony lenses.

Then I stand corrected. Thank You.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,507Gear list
Like?

dpyy wrote:

A lot, it all depends on the sensor, the aperture, the distance to subject, the subject itself, the photog.

Zeiss is known for ultra-sharpness, and probably closest to Leica lens' renderings.

The Zeiss formula has held up over time.

13 lenses covering 28mm to 35mm

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
jk2l
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 6, 2013

Got a question how do OSS affect the IQ?

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?

To come at it from a slightly different angle, I'm actually glad Zeiss isn't breaking new ground in the E-mount lineup with these lenses. Because it would be "redundant" there isn't an affordable large aperture 24mm lens that competes with the Sony-Zeiss which is really frustrating if you don't have over a thousand dollars to drop on a single lens. I'm glad the premium options are there, but I really can't afford them. All these new lenses have reasonably priced alternatives already within the NEX system.

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
In reply to dpyy, Mar 7, 2013

dpyy wrote:

If it is anything like the Zeiss 2/35 on the RX1 that does not have IS, it will be amazing with both color and sharpness, including corner to corner at the widest aperture.

See what DXO says.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
In reply to teseg, Mar 7, 2013

Are the Zeiss E-mounts designed for full frame or APS-C?

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
dpyy
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Mar 7, 2013

SQLGuy wrote:

Are the Zeiss E-mounts designed for full frame or APS-C?

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

It's e mount, I'm not sure why is that even a question? Unless you are implying FF NEX?

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Mar 7, 2013

Well I know it sounds silly, but that 3mm difference does make a...well, difference. I like the Sigma 30/2.8's FoV better than the E35's, so I'll probably like 32mm better as well. Also, we can reasonably expect better sharpness and microcontrast from the Zeiss, which will make it worth the extra money for some people.

I'd never drop that much on a 50mm equivalent, so it doesn't appeal to me, but I can definitely see the point of it. I really wish Sigma would make a 28-30mm f/1.4 lens, though!

nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
In reply to dpyy, Mar 7, 2013

There was a rumour going around a few months ago that to maintain compatibility with the in-the-works FF NEX these lenses had been re-tooled to cover full frame. This has been debunked and the story these days is that Zeiss is working on three new full-frame primes for June 2014 for the full-frame NEX.

martindesu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 7, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

A lot, it all depends on the sensor, the aperture, the distance to subject, the subject itself, the photog.

Zeiss is known for ultra-sharpness, and probably closest to Leica lens' renderings.

The Zeiss formula has held up over time.

13 lenses covering 28mm to 35mm

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Why do you have so much lens duplication?

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads