Head-to-Head: X100s vs X100 vs Canon 5D MK III

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?
Re: RESULTS!!!
In reply to BrianKraft, Mar 8, 2013

BrianKraft wrote:

Thanks for having fun! I've got the results published and they are very interesting!

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/x100s-vs-x100-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

I would have guess that too.

Also I see iso cheating!  About 2/3 stops worth of it compared to the 5d mark iii.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zardoz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?

Obvious result is obvious.  Time for anyone who was wrong to get out of the opinions business.

joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?
Re: Head-to-Head: X100s vs X100 vs Canon 5D MK III

do I get that right that these post card sized images are JPGs with camera default setting and then down sized to 600 x 900 pixel with whatsoever software (with - or without sharpening after downsizing)?

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +10 more
Tubed_Jazz
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: Head-to-Head: X100s vs X100 vs Canon 5D MK III

X100

x100s

5dIII

Tubed_Jazz's gear list:Tubed_Jazz's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D600 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +8 more
bestbyte
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
Re: too funny
In reply to tko, Mar 8, 2013

tko wrote:

Amazing how many people are interested in playing a useless game.

The full size images are 900X600. Smaller than the 1st digital camera ever made. You're viewing them on the web. Color balance depends on the camera settings and monitor calibration. We're not even talking about features or high ISO or lens selection or controls or boot up time or focusing. Oh yeah. The crops are from different sections of the photo. How can you compare? No real shadows or highlights. A mix of indoor and outdoor lighting. Probably the worst comparison image ever.

Why not toss in a few cell phone photos for comparison w/o telling anyone? That would have made it more fun, would be interesting to see how many picked the cell phone?

But people here are immediately seeing this as a valuable information. What I say is that an X100 user is thinking of this as serious comparison, maybe they're spending way too much on their camera.

You should also tell us what percentage correctly picked the Canon, whether they got the Fujis right or not. If a substantial portion of knowledgeable photographers can't tell the difference in output between a piece of elegant $1,300 jewellery and a massive industrial tool worth $5,000 -- then that is valuable information indeed.

Well done, Brian.

Valid points indeed!! I guess the OP's main goal is to get more hits to his website...

Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,909Gear list
Like?
One flaw of this test is....

That the 3 crops do not show exactly the same part of the paingting in the exact same angle. This would have made things clearer. Like shown the reflections and texture of the surface is different.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?
Re: One flaw of this test is....
In reply to Bernie Ess, Mar 8, 2013

Bernie Ess wrote:

That the 3 crops do not show exactly the same part of the paingting in the exact same angle. This would have made things clearer. Like shown the reflections and texture of the surface is different.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

For me it simple proofs that for Web sitzed images almost any camera will be quite o.k.

with some PP Even a10 Year Old Dslr might be just Good enough

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +10 more
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,909Gear list
Like?
Aren't the crops 100% views? n/t
In reply to joger, Mar 8, 2013

no text

-- hide signature --

Jule
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
too funny, indeed

Hehehe time and time again I get baffeled over the sour grapes that roame these forums.  

Jeezz guys this is just a good laugh, a game amongst friend. Nobody is talking seroius testing or comparison here - cept a few party spoilers.

Here, grab a beer and a cigar!

Kind Regards

Jule's gear list:Jule's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro +1 more
sarbos
Contributing MemberPosts: 742Gear list
Like?

tko wrote:

The full size images are 900X600. Smaller than the 1st digital camera ever made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Mavica

My first was a  MVC-FD73, 640 x 480 pixels

You are too young... 

sarbos's gear list:sarbos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
sarbos
Contributing MemberPosts: 742Gear list
Like?
No, they have been resized.
In reply to Bernie Ess, Mar 8, 2013

It would have been to easy to know the camera by the size of the image... 

sarbos's gear list:sarbos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?

So what are the results? after reading all of the posts in your link I don't see your answer yet.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
In reply to Lightpath48, Mar 8, 2013

Lightpath48 wrote:

So what are the results? after reading all of the posts in your link I don't see your answer yet.

Results are here -

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-comparison-results/

ealvarez
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
And why did I even bother ordering X100S, if Canon 5D is better *sigh* (N/T)
nathantw
Contributing MemberPosts: 935
Like?
Re: And why did I even bother ordering X100S, if Canon 5D is better *sigh* (N/T)
In reply to ealvarez, Mar 8, 2013

ealvarez wrote:

Because, when you press that shutter button on that Fuji X100 compare that KLUNK with the one with the Canon 5D. Tell yourself which one attracts more attention. That's why you ordered the X100s. That's why I just put an order in.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930Gear list
Like?
Entirely obvious

BrianKraft wrote:

Time to play-- stump the photographer (you)! Check out the comparison and leave your best guess!

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/x100s-vs-x100-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

The first thing that gives it away is that the Canon has the 35/1.4L. So look for the image with the most CA/PF. That is number 2. Then look for the one with the lowest resolution (that would be the X100). The other is the X100s.

They're all good. The X100 has the added benefit of being able to fit almost anywhere and has good/wide raw support.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
BrianKraft
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: And why did I even bother ordering X100S, if Canon 5D is better *sigh* (N/T)
In reply to nathantw, Mar 8, 2013

nathantw wrote:

ealvarez wrote:

Because, when you press that shutter button on that Fuji X100 compare that KLUNK with the one with the Canon 5D. Tell yourself which one attracts more attention. That's why you ordered the X100s. That's why I just put an order in.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/
Always have a camera with you and make sure you use it.

Actually, the 5D3 on Silent Mode is very, very quiet. Not X100/X100S quiet, but pretty damn quiet.

dbannerz71
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

tko wrote:

The full size images are 900X600. Smaller than the 1st digital camera ever made. You're viewing them on the web. Color balance depends on the camera settings and monitor calibration. We're not even talking about features or high ISO or lens selection or controls or boot up time or focusing. Oh yeah. The crops are from different sections of the photo. How can you compare? No real shadows or highlights. A mix of indoor and outdoor lighting. Probably the worst comparison image ever.

Why not toss in a few cell phone photos for comparison w/o telling anyone? That would have made it more fun, would be interesting to see how many picked the cell phone?

But people here are immediately seeing this as a valuable information. What I say is that an X100 user is thinking of this as serious comparison, maybe they're spending way too much on their camera.

You should also tell us what percentage correctly picked the Canon, whether they got the Fujis right or not. If a substantial portion of knowledgeable photographers can't tell the difference in output between a piece of elegant $1,300 jewellery and a massive industrial tool worth $5,000 -- then that is valuable information indeed.

Well done, Brian.

TKO, I think that your response is the most meaningful and solid response on here yet about this topic.  It's amazing how people get hung up looking for some small way to try and eek out some advantage of there camera or system vs. some other camera brand or system.

Eric

dbannerz71's gear list:dbannerz71's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Apple iPad WiFi
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to dbannerz71, Mar 8, 2013

dbannerz71 wrote:

tko wrote:

Well done, Brian.

TKO, I think that your response is the most meaningful and solid response on here yet about this topic. It's amazing how people get hung up looking for some small way to try and eek out some advantage of there camera or system vs. some other camera brand or system.

Eric

Objectively, your point is well taken and absolutely correct. But there is a slightly different angle here. With the pundits claiming for months that the X-Trans can rival FF, these comparisons have attained a certain degree of legitimacy. Consequently, they are interesting to many people. That the images as shown by the OP, even in their web versions and greatly reduced in size, are easily assignable might still be surprising to some, so there is nutritional value here.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
hexar
Contributing MemberPosts: 858
Like?
In reply to nixda, Mar 10, 2013

Many people should consider whatnis " GOOD ENOUGH"  for their purposes instead of aiming at the " BEST"  hence spending far too much money , carying too much weight, having too many features etc etc. .

full frame is and will always ahead smaller sized sensors re IQ but that does not mean that ideally you should have a full frame camera.  I could buy a Canon 5D with a 35mm 1.4 lens tomorrow but I am happier  with my Sony 57 and 16-50mm 2.8  for my kind of photography and what I do with the end results.  I would also be more happy with a 100 S  vs a Hasselblatt that costs soo much more and would make " better"  IQ Photos.

many people buying SLR cameras would be better of with a SONY RX100 or other small quality pocket cam.

my point is that getting obsessed by pixels and features is a dangerous thing as it might take you away from your BEST cam.

There is ofcourse also a WANNAHAVE factor  in all this and that has not soo much to do with my rational points above but also a valid reason to buy something in order to give a moment of proud ownership and happyness.

All in all keep in mind when taking out you wallets and cheque books that good pictures need a good " eye" rather than a perfect cam.

cheers

HEXAR

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjrietveld/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads