eye fi vs transcend wifi for android

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
thetrystero
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
eye fi vs transcend wifi for android
Mar 6, 2013

Which one offers the best features for android and what advantages does eye fi have vs transcend? Eye fi costs substantially more so is it worth the extra? I could either go with a 4gb eye fi or a 16gb transcend for my budget. I'm using the Panasonic gx1 and want to have both raw and fine automatically synced to my android galaxy nexus in real time via WiFi so that they can be uploaded to Google+. I know I can probably wait until I get home bit real time is the key here, otgheerwise it wouldnt make sense for me to spend extra on WiFi. Any thoughts?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
m.holmes
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
Re: eye fi vs transcend wifi for android
In reply to thetrystero, Mar 6, 2013

thetrystero wrote:

Which one offers the best features for android and what advantages does eye fi have vs transcend? Eye fi costs substantially more so is it worth the extra? I could either go with a 4gb eye fi or a 16gb transcend for my budget. I'm using the Panasonic gx1 and want to have both raw and fine automatically synced to my android galaxy nexus in real time via WiFi so that they can be uploaded to Google+. I know I can probably wait until I get home bit real time is the key here, otgheerwise it wouldnt make sense for me to spend extra on WiFi. Any thoughts?

I won't speak about android but I think I own all the different wifi-SD cards. My favorite is the transcend, my INfavorite is the eye-fi (pro-x2); the transcend is larger, class 10, it has an http server built-in and acts (optionally) as a wi-fi hotspot, so any device can connect flawlessly and browse/download photos. I think (not totally sure) that the ios app has an auto-sync feature.

On the opposite, the eye-fi acts only as a wireless client, and you need to store in advance the credentials of the network you will be connecting to; you would suspect this is easy, but... an internet connection is needed to change any setting on the card (because basically the card configuration is generated by a remote server and downloaded). Additionally, you need to install a custom software on your computer, and the card will upload all the pictures automatically (you used to shoot 12fps RAW? think again... )

I have to admit that the eye-fi has some support from camera firmware (for example, my camera has a special menu for it), while the transcend has to rely on simpler but effective tricks (the way you reset the configuration is awesome... the software engineer who invented it is a genius). overall I have no doubt about which card is better.

p.s.: don't expect the wi-fi speed to be anywhere acceptable... these cards are painfully slow

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jorgemtrevino
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to m.holmes, Mar 12, 2013

Has anybody managed to make the Transcend 32 work in a Panasonic Lumix LX7? I can't.

Jorge.

jorgemtrevino's gear list:jorgemtrevino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
thetrystero
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
In reply to m.holmes, Mar 12, 2013

How slow? For example what's the average time per jpeg and per raw?

m.holmes
Like?
In reply to thetrystero, Mar 13, 2013

thetrystero wrote:

How slow? For example what's the average time per jpeg and per raw?

the eye-fi software basically puts your computer in "listening mode". when you shoot a picture as soon after a small delay (probably to check that everything is connected), the card starts uploading and you eventually see a thumbnail for a few seconds on the computer screen.

If you are *very* close, upload speed may be around 1 MB/sec, so if you shoot in jpeg it's acceptable. if you shoot RAW... uhm... depends. if you shoot in RAW with multiburst, then just forget it. If you move out of reach of the wi-fi, I think it reconnects automatically when you come back, but anyway upload is sequential, so you cannot "skip" pictures.

With the transcend, things are a bit better, because the card acts as a server, so you can open the pc browser, navigate to 192.168.X.Y, look at the thumbnails and click on the pictures that you want to download [IIRC, btw the IOS app has an "auto download" mode]. My feeling is that the actual transmission speed is a bit higher than the eye-fi, but I didn't measure it precisely. Anyway, don't expect much: if you have many large pics, an USB cable is much faster. Ideally, I'd prefer a super-fast expresscard/USB3/esata/etc card reader.

Also the battery drain is noticeable: I also suspect that these cards may use some power even when the camera is off.

To sum up, my experience is that these wi-fi cards *look* useful, but in most cases where you think you have an use for them, there's actually a better way to do the same. However, nowadays they are supercool gadgets, so if you manage to use one publicly, you will look like coming out of Star Trek. If you value this (at fashion shows, it may be an advantage)...

jorgemtrevino
Like?
In reply to m.holmes, Mar 25, 2013

Folks, many thanks for the comments. I've done a bit of research on the matter and I think it's a waste of time and money, 'cept for some rare ocassions, e.g. when you would want to send an image by email instantly and only have your smart phone around.

Even so, I guess that using a micro-SD with full size adapter on the camera and physically switching the card to the smartphone would be as good a solution and certainly much cheaper.

The only caveat here is the card speed. I haven't found a class 10 micro-SD yet.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
m.holmes
Like?
In reply to jorgemtrevino, Mar 30, 2013

jorgemtrevino wrote:

Folks, many thanks for the comments. I've done a bit of research on the matter and I think it's a waste of time and money, 'cept for some rare ocassions, e.g. when you would want to send an image by email instantly and only have your smart phone around.

Even so, I guess that using a micro-SD with full size adapter on the camera and physically switching the card to the smartphone would be as good a solution and certainly much cheaper.

The only caveat here is the card speed. I haven't found a class 10 micro-SD yet.

Apple sells a sd-reader for iphone/ipad, I'd bet android has the same (of course you have to remember to carry it around). I'd rather plug a full-features sd card in the camera and a reader on the phone, rather then a combo-card.

If you really want to combine the best of both worlds, you may want to have a look at this:

http://www.pqigroup.com/prod_in.aspx?mnuid=1286&modid=138&prodid=426

This is basically a wi-fi "sd adapter" card (i.e. you have to plug your own microsd for the actual storage). It's the only card that I don't own personally, so I won't comment. Some of the reviews I read were not favorable (mostly, for write speed below expectations, IIRC).

Ken Gosden
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
In reply to m.holmes, Mar 30, 2013

I just picked up the PQI AirCard this past week.  I also have the EyeFi X2 Pro 8GB.  Both have 'issues'.  I wanted the real time transfer ability to use with my Nexus 7 which lacks a camera and built in memory slot.  I have used both with my XZ-1.

I have had the EyeFi for a few months and generally like how it works.  This version is only a class 6 card.  It is annoying that you must have internet access to modify the card settings since I often use it far from net access, on cruise ships and camping.  The card has a tendency to flake out and give a 'card error' message on a fairly regular basis.  I then have to power the camera off and on to recover.  Mainly an annoyance since I plan to use this setup in critical photo situations.  The real-time transfer feature works fairly well and quick enough after it makes the initial connection.  The other issue I have with this card is that I cannot access it via a card reader connected to my Nexus 7.  The Nexus does not provide power through the USB port and the radio circuit on the card draws enough that the memory portion is not readable.  So I cannot download photos from the card taken when my Nexus was off or out of range directly to the Nexus.  You also cannot retroactively transfer photos of the card via WiFi.   I can readily access the EyeFi memory from a PC based card reader.

I thought about the Toshiba FlashAir and Transcend versions, but assume they would have similar behavior in my Nexus 7 card reader.  They  did not seem to offer automatic photo transfers, but they do allow you to transfer only the photos you want.

I picked the PQI AirCard since the removable microSD card would solve the Nexus 7 card reader issue. The PQI is pretty easy to use, but seems to be a lot pickier about which cameras it will work with.  It is fine in my XZ-1, but would not work in my friend's D7000 (the EyeFi card was fine).  I can browse the PQI with any ftp capable client on my Nexus.  It was more cost effective than the EyeFi. I paid $70 for the AirCard with a class 10 32GB microSD card.  It does not automatically transfer photos as I take them.  However, most times I prefer picking those I want rather than dumping every image to my limited tablet memory.  I will have to see how I feel after a few weeks of real world use.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
jorgemtrevino
Like?
In reply to m.holmes, Apr 2, 2013

m.,

Many thanks for the PQi Air Card link. Sounds interesting. I shall check availability and prices., although it mentions compatibility with the LX5 but not the LX7 which is what I have now.

OTOH, the SD reader for Android sounds even better. I'll try to find one for my phone (a Galaxy S3), shouldn't be that hard.

As of now, what I do is to load a class 10 Micro SD on the LX7 (with an adapter) and use the phone as a medium to aend the images in case of need.

Again, many thanks!

Jorge.

Nakean
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to jorgemtrevino, Apr 19, 2013

I use the eye-fi card with my Canon 5D mkII (Doesn't work with my 7D).  It took three different types of eye-fi cards and three different readers to find a combination that is rock solid.  No error 2's anymore!!!  Tranfer speed is great because I shoot raw plus Jpeg and only have jpeg transfered.  Raw stays on the card.  I transfer only small jpeg because I only use the card to be able to share on facebook and my send images through text.

No one seems to be talking about the different transfer methods for the eye fi card.  You don't have to send ALL the images.  I have the card setup so that only the images I mark protected in the camera are sent to my phone.  From my phone I can upload to various sites I want.

For those wanting to shoot in bursts or show Raw files to computer...just use a usb cable.  Wireless network speeds are no where near what they would need to be otherwise.  I do like the pricepoint with the transcend and I have several normal Transcend cards that I love.  There inexpensive and rock solid!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads