Fotodiox Puts a 645 Medium Format Back on Sony NEX

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
moregone
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Fotodiox Puts a 645 Medium Format Back on Sony NEX
Mar 6, 2013

Can someone help me understand what this does?

http://fstoppers.com/new-accessory-from-fotodiox-puts-a-645-medium-format-back-on-sony-nex

Sounds epic and the crops they show are impressive, but I guess I don't understand. Is this a big adapter for Medium format lenses? I thought the "Back" was the sensor in Med format so I am a bit confused.

-- hide signature --

I'd rather be an indication of my future, than a product of my past" - Me

dellaaa
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
Re: Fotodiox Puts a 645 Medium Format Back on Sony NEX
In reply to moregone, Mar 6, 2013

Looks like it will allow you to create several images (capturing the entire medium format image circle, or close to it, in 4 images) which you would then stitch together.

dellaaa's gear list:dellaaa's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

Looks interesting - especially since I already have 4 Hasselblad lenses.  It works by taking multiple exposures, each with the camera repositioned such that the total (probably  9 frames) can be stitched together to cover a 6x4.5 frame size.  This one is unique because the lens stays stationary and only the camera body moves if I understand the add correctly.  Much cheaper than other alternatives I've seen.

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
moregone
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
In reply to djp58, Mar 6, 2013

Ok I am getting it now. So the sum of the images stitched together is a a lot higher res than a similar, single composition

-- hide signature --

"I'd rather be an indication of my future, than a product of my past" - Me

djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

Yes - each of the individual shots is 24MP, with the stiched together result being 140+MP.  Its virtually the same as if you had medium format digital back that captured 140+MP.  By the way, the Hasselblad CFV digital back (50MP) retails for $17K and the Phase 1 80MP version retails for $44K.  If this thing works well, it might be worth it!

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,576
Like?

djp58 wrote:

Yes - each of the individual shots is 24MP, with the stiched together result being 140+MP. Its virtually the same as if you had medium format digital back that captured 140+MP. By the way, the Hasselblad CFV digital back (50MP) retails for $17K and the Phase 1 80MP version retails for $44K. If this thing works well, it might be worth it!

Hasselblad can go up to 200 Megapixels with multiple exposure.

http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/products/h-system/h4d-200ms.aspx

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Mar 6, 2013

This is cool and all - basically like a giant shift adapter - and actually something I've wished existed for a while. However at $500 there are some potential drawbacks to consider:

• Medium format lenses are generally not as sharp as modern FF/APS-C lenses, because they don't have to be. There are lots out there that are, but most of them are very pricey.

• By the time you shift the camera far enough in one direction, all of the light coming from the lens is going to be at the sort of sharp angle that causes all that color shift on the NEX sensors. They might compensate for this by not letting you shift that far (and I might also be overly concerned about the issue as I've never actually tried it), but it's a worry.

Still, looks like a pretty cool thing. A shame they don't have an RZ67 version, as those lenses are way sharp.

Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?

Looks like a glorified mechanical panorama assist. Practically the same price as a high-end pan head.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
a1man
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Crazy stuff !

Somebody at photodiode is really fascinated with nex. Before they had this light booster, now this!!

I see some adadvantages

This is better than regular panorama  not because of regular parallax problems but because you can't do pan aromaeasily ly with high distolenses lenses like the wide angles and fish eyes. With this, lens distortion doesnt matter.

Addmultiple exposures and overlapping exposures, now you have HDR and super resolution images?

Of course, your subjects should stand still during capture, which is a big problem for multi exposures anyway

daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to moregone, Mar 7, 2013

I have a 645DF with 40M Leaf Aptus back.  $20K for the combo, lens optional. The back is over $15K of the cost, so I'd like to see how well this thing works. Unless that camera moves awfully quickly, it would not work well for portraits, but might be good for landscapes, architecture, etc.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
LifeIsAVerb
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?

moregone wrote:

http://fstoppers.com/new-accessory-from-fotodiox-puts-a-645-medium-format-back-on-sony-nex

Sounds epic and the crops they show are impressive, but I guess I don't understand. Is this a big adapter for Medium format lenses? I thought the "Back" was the sensor in Med format so I am a bit confused.

-- hide signature --

Yeah, the headline there wasn't accurate. The NEX-7 is really the back mounted behind a moveable middle-format lens. Cool concept if there's nothing moving in the frame of the subject matter. $500 seems a little rich, though.

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to Richie Beans, Mar 7, 2013

Richie Beans wrote:

Looks like a glorified mechanical panorama assist. Practically the same price as a high-end pan head.

It's completely different - it's moving the body in relation to the lens itself, not the whole camera. the resulting image will have much, much less distortion than one produced with a pano head.

ronald weissman
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?

One assumes that this is a gigantic 'dumb' lens adapter useful only for older lenses with physical aperture rings, since there would otherwise be no way to control aperture settings with lenses having electronic-controlled apertures? That is, none of the Phase One / modern Mamiya lenses would work--only the older Mamiya lenses?  The website provides no information about lens compatibility.

ronald weissman's gear list:ronald weissman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha 7S
pockets33433
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?

Does it move the NEX body automatically?  how fast do you think this thing cycles through 6-8 shots?

If really high tech this thing could take 8 shots in 5 seconds, but if it is more plodding then you do risk the clouds moving, etc.

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
for 4x5" camera and lens owners, there is a cheaper solution...

moregone wrote:

-- hide signature --

I bought this adapter plate long time ago. With a EF to NEX adapter, I can use my NEX too.

Fotodiox is using same idea, but because MF lenses has focus shells, (large format, use bellows for focusing), they can be mounted straight to the camera via appropriate adapters.

This is making whole setup much smaller, and that is certainly benefit of Fotodiox approach.

In both cases you can move camera up and down (Fotodiox integrated vertical movement in their adapter), but with a bellows, you can move also lens (tilt and shift).

There is nothing automated on the Fotodiox adapter (interesting idea however, and surely possible, but rather expensive), it is fully manual device.

Fotodiox is welcomed addition to endless mount possibilities for NEX, but IMHO, quite overpriced. There is nothing revolutionary behind it.

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,842
Like?
Re: for 4x5" camera and lens owners, there is a cheaper solution...
In reply to verybiglebowski, Mar 7, 2013

Pardon my ignorance but this adaptor makes the camera take a picture of the view that would be seem through 645 lens but in pieces that are stitched a-la gigapan except the nex is kept parallel with e 645 film plane instead of pivoting to tale each shot is that the advantage here?

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,011Gear list
Like?
Re: for 4x5" camera and lens owners, there is a cheaper solution...
In reply to Glenn, Mar 7, 2013

Glenn wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but this adaptor makes the camera take a picture of the view that would be seem through 645 lens but in pieces that are stitched a-la gigapan except the nex is kept parallel with e 645 film plane instead of pivoting to tale each shot is that the advantage here?

I am not sure I understand your question... but let me try...

Both adapters (Fotodiox for MF lenses and one I shown above for LF cameras) use the same method, with slightly different approach. On the Fotodiox adapter, you can move the camera (manually) to use the full projection circle of MF lens and stitch those images together later in post processing.

You can do exactly the same by moving back standard with NEX attached to the Large Format camera or, in this case, by moving front standard with a lens. On top of that you can use tilt movements, and you can even put the cassette with a plan film between and make a film exposure.

There are better solutions for LF lenses, such as Sinar p-SLR , but they cost accordingly.

Adapter that I am suggesting, mounted on any (today very cheap) LF camera, can do same as Fotodiox with MF lenses, and more, but it is bigger and bulkier. But even with a LF camera (such as Cambo SC i.e.) you should be able to fit within 300-350 USD (often with a basic lens), comparing to 500 USD for Fotodiox.

Mike Stratil
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
Fotodiox incommunicado
In reply to moregone, Mar 8, 2013

I have tried repeatedly over the past 24 hours to go to the Fotodiox web site, but it seems to be down. Does anyone know what's happening there?

-- hide signature --

Michael S

PaddyC
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Fotodiox incommunicado
In reply to Mike Stratil, Mar 8, 2013

Their site went down right after the announcement. Maybe they haven't been able to resolve the traffic issues.

PaddyC's gear list:PaddyC's gear list
Canon EOS M
Go Mijla Go
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to moregone, Mar 8, 2013

What sort of 645 lens would be good to use?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads