Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions
Roberto Piazza
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Sri Lanka - done by the 600d + the double kit and the 10-22
Mar 6, 2013

hi all,

just back from a trip to Sri Lanka, I'd like to share this album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110166469215596206907/Serendib?noredirect=1#slideshow/5852225556185117010

C&C welcome !

ciao

-- hide signature --

www.picasaweb.google.ch/errepizeta
-

Roberto Piazza's gear list:Roberto Piazza's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Raja MM
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: Sri Lanka - done by the 600d + the double kit and the 10-22
In reply to Roberto Piazza, Mar 6, 2013

Beautiful pictures. I particularly liked the monkey which was one of the first few in the slideshow. Which lens did you use for that?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,641Gear list
Like?

What a great collection of beautiful images!  Excellent!

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Roberto Piazza
Like?
In reply to Raja MM, Mar 6, 2013

thanks

it's the 55-250 at full zoom, 800 iso

if you close the slideshow and check a single shot, you will find that the "full details" page shows many properties, among which, these

ciao

-- hide signature --

-

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Kili Liam
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

Roberto,

beautiful photos! It's nice to see familiar places through someone else "camera"!
What's your 10-22 lens? I must buy one of these ...and by the way, the other two are?

Kili Liam

PS: I should have bought my 600D before my Sri Lanka travel! Sri Lanka through your photos is more beautiful than through my photos!

Kili Liam's gear list:Kili Liam's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +1 more
Roberto Piazza
Like?
In reply to Kili Liam, Mar 6, 2013

the 10-22 is the Canon EF-S superwide lens

the other two are the Canon EF-S 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS that can be bougth boundled with the camera itself

many thanks for your appreciation

ciao

-- hide signature --

-

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,081
Like?

Amazing photos - superb compositions and the equipment did not let you down at all.

Try that with a bridge camera!

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732Gear list
Like?

Really enjoyable shots. I had no idea Sri Lanka is so beautiful.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Ziad joseph
Regular MemberPosts: 227Gear list
Like?
Lovely collection

Loving travel means loving to see dpreview members travel snaps, these were lovely and you seemed to have got around quite alot in Sri lanka, seems to have been a very culturally enlightening trip, good work

Ziad

Ziad joseph's gear list:Ziad joseph's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
FMohsin
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?

Thanks to your pictures, I had a wonderful trip to Sri Lanka.

FM

FMohsin's gear list:FMohsin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 20D Olympus E-510 Canon EOS 650D +1 more
2esetters
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roberto Piazza, Mar 7, 2013

Very enjoyable.  Great job.  Thanks.

2esetters's gear list:2esetters's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,987
Like?
In reply to Roberto Piazza, Mar 9, 2013

That was a nice series of pictures.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Midwest
Like?
In reply to Digirame, Mar 9, 2013

Digirame wrote:

That was a nice series of pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

With all due respect, 'nice' applies to pictures of flowers or ducks. This series was just plain great. As someone who owns the same camera and lenses, I found it really motivating to see what they are capable of. Those who dismiss the Canon kit lenses or the Rebel series would have a hard time making their case after seeing these shots. (Yes, I know a few were taken with the 10-22.)

One person on another forum dismissed the 55-250 as a piece of junk not worth $100.

-- hide signature --

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,449Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 9, 2013

Midwest wrote:

Digirame wrote:

That was a nice series of pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

With all due respect, 'nice' applies to pictures of flowers or ducks. This series was just plain great. As someone who owns the same camera and lenses, I found it really motivating to see what they are capable of. Those who dismiss the Canon kit lenses or the Rebel series would have a hard time making their case after seeing these shots. (Yes, I know a few were taken with the 10-22.)

One person on another forum dismissed the 55-250 as a piece of junk not worth $100.

-- hide signature --

Agreed great pictures, I enjoyed viewing them.

A good photographer like this, knows their equipment, its strengths and its weaknesses, and how to use it to bring out the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

But, if everyone upgraded themselves as a photographer, instead of running out an buying the latest and greatest, camera companies would sell a lot fewer cameras.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Midwest
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Mar 9, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

A good photographer like this, knows their equipment, its strengths and its weaknesses, and how to use it to bring out the strengths and minimize the weaknesses.

But, if everyone upgraded themselves as a photographer, instead of running out an buying the latest and greatest, camera companies would sell a lot fewer cameras.

I agree 1000%. Part of what made these photos so great was the compositions, finding good subject matter, and even just following some of the basics (like not shooting into the sun if you want good results) which some folks constantly ignore. The photographer deserves much credit also for his ability to 'see' photos worth taking in the first place, which is something that so many seem unable to do. They walk around with a camera in their hands looking for something to take pictures of and all they see are flowers and pigeons mostly. They point their lens at something and snap a picture.

I see people on the forums - all those I visit, which are several - quibbling about tiny differences between the old and new models of cameras, or even worse, actively begging and pleading "won't someone PLEASE post some shots by the new X500 camera? I am on the waiting list for one and can't wait to see how much better it is than my X495!"

Coming to a forum near you; in fact I know one offhand where it's going on big time right this minute.

-- hide signature --

Roberto Piazza
Like?
Many thanks !
In reply to Midwest, Mar 9, 2013

Thanks, friends,

I'm so glad you have appreciated my work.

Before leaving for this holiday, I had to decide: bring the camera and the 15-85 alone (my fourth lens) in the lowepro adventure, or bring the camera and these three lenses in my caselogic.

So, I just googled for images of all the places of the itinerary, and understood that the combo was probably a better choice (especially due to the need of zoom in the national park). Happy to have done that.

Besides, with a rebel and these APS-C lenses another good point is that ALL the equipment (camera, 3 lenses, batteries, charger and cable, memories, blower, hoya CPF, caps and short 58mm hood, fit perfectly in the caselogic 202, and weighted just about 2.6 kg. !!!

I do share the same love for the kit lenses: seen their lightness and price, they are just great, and apart for its very useful range, I don't find the 15-85 to be really much better than the 18-55!).

All the shots were batch converted raw to jpg with the in-camera "picture style" I have set and used, and then basically just rotated, cropped and tuned with acdsee.
Only for about 10% of them, when I supposed that a more detailed work on the raw could be useful, before converting to jpeg I have worked a bit with DPP, mainly for shadows/highlights or color temperature.

ciao from italy

-- hide signature --

-

guinness2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,671
Like?
Re: Many thanks !
In reply to Roberto Piazza, Mar 9, 2013

What a great pics of attractive locations. Kit lens and 10-22 is my favorite travel kit.

I like the inspirative compositions and excellent colors, how much PP you did on that ?

Pity you didn't include any location names, did I miss them ?

Roberto Piazza
Like?
Re: Many thanks !
In reply to guinness2, Mar 10, 2013

hello,

ehm... I have been too lazy to include the location names

there is not a lot of PP on most of the pictures: I prefer to set "in camera" the most I can

all picts have been shot with picture style at "faithful", contrast -3, sharpness +7, saturation +1

sometimes I have warmed the colors faking the white balance to "cloud" or even "shade"

when needed, at PP, the auto-level functions of AcdSee and its powerful midtones adjustment did the rest

thanks and 'bye

-- hide signature --

-

Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roberto Piazza, Mar 10, 2013

I was in Sri Lanka for around 18 months way back in 1945/46, stationed at an RAF camp at Koggala, about 8 miles east of Galle.    I have often thought of going back to see how everything has changed, but never have.   The former RAF camp is now a holiday resort, quite different from when I was there.   Your album was just great, you did a wonderful job and obviously saw more of the island than I did.   All I had at the time was a brownie box camera held together with black insulation tape.  Getting film for it was, of course, difficult but sometimes the boys in the RAF photographic section came up with a reel or two, and I have an album full of black and white photos which were developed for me by the photographic boys.  I moved on to Singapore and returned to the UK at the end of 1947.    I live now in Canada.

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Roberto Piazza
Like?
In reply to Drogba88, Mar 11, 2013

thanks friend,

glad to have "renewed" your memories

and... well, Singapore has probably changed much, much more:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110166469215596206907/Singapura?noredirect=1#slideshow/5577993109798128082

(shot two years ago while I was there for work, with my G11)

bye

-- hide signature --

-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads