XZ-10 vs XZ-2

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 vs XZ-2
In reply to Nick Carrigan, Mar 9, 2013

Nick Carrigan wrote:

So in the XZ-10 case, it's 26mm (wide angle) @ 1x and 130mm @ 5x maximum zoom.

Funny, I'm curious to go check the XZ-10 now because I swore they started at 0.0x zoom values.

I was mistaken with my assumed 24-120mm range, agree with Altruisto that you should try to test at 26 and 28mm equivalent. That would be 1.0 and 1.1x optical zoom, but who knows how they have called this and how the range of clickstops has been spread over the focal range length ...

Probably you can check in the EXIF after the fact what the real focal length (and effective focal length) is at a certain setting.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick Samples, NR = OFF
In reply to Altruisto, Mar 9, 2013

Altruisto wrote:

technic wrote:

Yes, the JPG engine is another pro. For optics I'm talking about premium products like XZ-1/2 and m43 lenses. I'm not sure if XZ-10 is meant to be in that group, just hoping the XZ-10 lens is of the same quality as the one on XZ-1/2.

We hope so too. I see some prominent purple fringing in Wide Angle shots, but not to a dramatic measure. I hope the lens is sharp at all focals especially the extremes.

I hope so too. I don't like purple fringe, but the Canon S series has this too; only in the latest models it is mostly removed by in-camera processing. I also hope it doesn't have too much vignetting and sharpness loss in the corners, because that would require extra processing which increases noise and other artefacts towards the corners (the reason I disliked the S110 ...).

I take over 75% of my 'walkaround' shots at 24-28mm effective, so for me high optical quality at the widest setting is very important.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
LowlightShadows
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-10 vs XZ-2
In reply to Altruisto, Mar 9, 2013

Altruisto wrote:

specifications lead to the BSI 12MP of Sony, and we know Oly now is very close to Sony. The sensor in OMD is Sony's. We find that sensor in Canon SX50. Look at its dxomark score, quite stunning and on par with 1/1.7 sensors, at least below ISO800.

Ok, you got a point there. The measurements charts of the SX50 HS (1/2.3"  BSI 12MP) look pretty close to the ones of the S110 and the like. And yes, Oly seems to move towards sony sensors, at least in the m43 area. Yet I don't know if the SX50 features a sony or canon sensor.

LowlightShadows's gear list:LowlightShadows's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Am I the only one seeing the XZ-2 to be far superior?
In reply to Nick Carrigan, Mar 10, 2013

Or perhaps others have a more realistic expectation.  I am looking to get a compact to pair with my OM-D and E-P1.  I've been eternally debating which one to get.  The XZ-10 might be it - it would be it form factor wise, and I would love the slow mo video.  However, looking at these image comparisons, I'm not so sure.  The XZ-10 images look much more typical compact than the XZ-2.  They're flat, soft, and noisy.  Or perhaps they're quite good, it's just that the XZ-2 is phenomenal? I looked at both the noise suppressed and sans noise suppressed series - in both cases the XZ-2 does much better. In addition the XZ-10 purple fringes badly (around the handlebar of the bike) - the XZ-2 doesn't.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,861Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I the only one seeing the XZ-2 to be far superior?
In reply to Laszlo13, Mar 10, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

Or perhaps others have a more realistic expectation. I am looking to get a compact to pair with my OM-D and E-P1. I've been eternally debating which one to get. The XZ-10 might be it - it would be it form factor wise, and I would love the slow mo video. However, looking at these image comparisons, I'm not so sure. The XZ-10 images look much more typical compact than the XZ-2. They're flat, soft, and noisy. Or perhaps they're quite good, it's just that the XZ-2 is phenomenal? I looked at both the noise suppressed and sans noise suppressed series - in both cases the XZ-2 does much better. In addition the XZ-10 purple fringes badly (around the handlebar of the bike) - the XZ-2 doesn't.

I'm not seeing as dramatic a difference, but it's hard to evaluate subtleties looking at photos on the Web. I would expect the XZ-2 to be superior... especially at higher ISO, but it's also a bigger camera with a larger sensor. I also shoot with an E-M5, and I'm not sure the XZ-2 offers that much of a portability advantage. The XZ-10 on the other hand...

Ultimately it depends on how you want to use it and what your expectations are. My wife wants a compact camera for photos of our kids that will be shared on Facebook and printed mostly at 4x6 or so. The XZ-10 should be fine for that. the purple fringing doesn't bother me.  I can fix that in Lightroom with a couple of clicks.

sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,213
Like?
Now Go To The Following Thread To Add To The Discussion....
In reply to sean000, Mar 10, 2013
logbi77
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Request for XZ-10 aperture value stops
In reply to Nick Carrigan, Mar 11, 2013

Hi! If it is ok with you and have the time, can you list down the maximum aperture value of the XZ-10 at certain focal lengths?

Say it is obviously f/1.8 @ 26mm eq and f/2.7 @ 130mm. But what about at certain focal lengths like 35mm eq, 50mm eq, and 85mm eq. Just for curiosity's sake but if you don't have the time then it is also ok.

What I am looking for is similar to this one.

Thanks!

Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean000, Mar 15, 2013

sean000 wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

Or perhaps others have a more realistic expectation. I am looking to get a compact to pair with my OM-D and E-P1. I've been eternally debating which one to get. The XZ-10 might be it - it would be it form factor wise, and I would love the slow mo video. However, looking at these image comparisons, I'm not so sure. The XZ-10 images look much more typical compact than the XZ-2. They're flat, soft, and noisy. Or perhaps they're quite good, it's just that the XZ-2 is phenomenal? I looked at both the noise suppressed and sans noise suppressed series - in both cases the XZ-2 does much better. In addition the XZ-10 purple fringes badly (around the handlebar of the bike) - the XZ-2 doesn't.

I'm not seeing as dramatic a difference, but it's hard to evaluate subtleties looking at photos on the Web. I would expect the XZ-2 to be superior... especially at higher ISO, but it's also a bigger camera with a larger sensor. I also shoot with an E-M5, and I'm not sure the XZ-2 offers that much of a portability advantage. The XZ-10 on the other hand...

Ultimately it depends on how you want to use it and what your expectations are. My wife wants a compact camera for photos of our kids that will be shared on Facebook and printed mostly at 4x6 or so. The XZ-10 should be fine for that. the purple fringing doesn't bother me. I can fix that in Lightroom with a couple of clicks.

sean

Sean absolutely right about expectations.  For Facebook and prints even much bigger than 4x6 the XZ-10 will be perfect.  I'm looking at other samples being posted, and in reality the XZ-10 images are really good, for how small and capable the camera is.  I suspect it's still going to be my pick as well.  You're right about the XZ-2 not offering a whole lot more on portability.

Best regards, Laszlo

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,861Gear list
Like?
In reply to Laszlo13, Mar 15, 2013

Laszlo13 wrote:

sean000 wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

Ultimately it depends on how you want to use it and what your expectations are. My wife wants a compact camera for photos of our kids that will be shared on Facebook and printed mostly at 4x6 or so. The XZ-10 should be fine for that. the purple fringing doesn't bother me. I can fix that in Lightroom with a couple of clicks.

sean

Sean absolutely right about expectations. For Facebook and prints even much bigger than 4x6 the XZ-10 will be perfect. I'm looking at other samples being posted, and in reality the XZ-10 images are really good, for how small and capable the camera is. I suspect it's still going to be my pick as well. You're right about the XZ-2 not offering a whole lot more on portability.

Best regards, Laszlo

We are definitely going to order an XZ-10. Based on what I've seen it looks like a great little camera. Even though it will be my wife's camera, it will be nice to have something truly small for those occasions when I don't have my E-M5 with me. I have a feeling she is going to have to keep reminding me that the XZ-10 is her camera

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
PPW
PPW
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: Low-Light Test
In reply to Nick Carrigan, Mar 15, 2013

Nick -

Would love to see any further shots that you have,
as well as hearing about your impressions of the
camera's handling, performance, etc.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

- Paul

Ivo Verhaar
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: Size Comparison
In reply to Nick Carrigan, Mar 17, 2013

Thanks a million, this realy helped me decide to get the XZ-2, not over the XZ-10, but just because it is a bit bigger, not that much and i will squeeze it in a pocket of my jacket with ease.

-- hide signature --

Olympus: E-3, 12-60SWD, EX25,EC20, FL50R, 50-200SWD, XZ-2.
Thinktank: Rotation 360, Change Up, some modules
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iverhaar

Ivo Verhaar's gear list:Ivo Verhaar's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Olympus Stylus 720 SW Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 +6 more
Altruisto
Contributing MemberPosts: 824
Like?
Re: Any new thoughts on AF speed and accuracy?
In reply to Nick Carrigan, Mar 18, 2013

Nick Carrigan wrote:

Yes, I the AF is fine -- it's probably just a fraction slower than the XZ-2. I usually use AUTO with S-AF and so when I first reported the AF seemed slower, I had forgotten to set it up with my preferred style.

The XZ-10 is very impressive so far. I'll definitely get more shots and a couple of video samples this weekend.

Promises not fulfilled.

-- hide signature --

Photography has to remain a pleasure, keep PP minimal!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/altruisto/
https://twitter.com/#!/tarekmrad
http://www.facebook.com/tarekmradrtci
owning a Nikon D90, and a Nikon J1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads