YN622c TTL question

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions
Hoefie
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
YN622c TTL question
Mar 5, 2013

Hello to all,

I just purchased some YN622c TTL triggers for Canon. I have a 60D and some 430EXii speedlights.

I haven't received my triggers yet, but a question came into my mind:

With a YN622c transmitter connected on top of my camera, will the camera "think" that there is a speedlight connected on its head ?

How will the camera know that the actual speedlight is not on the camera, but instead is off camera ?

I'm afraid that if the camera believes that the trigger is an actual speedlight connected on top of my camera; and therefore it will calculate the wrong exposure setting in TTL mode.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Yves from Belgium.

PS: for the ones who are wondering why I have chosen the YN622c instead of other models (eg. Phottix ODIN (was my first choice) or Pixel King, Rikon Kody TTL,...)

Phottix ODIN was my preferred choice till I read that:

- the speedlight triggered by ODIN emits a preflash, even in manual mode: so I can not use my light meter efficiently. There are some workarounds, but they are not so convenient.

- The trigger doesn't have a TTL pass through: I find it handy when I need an on top camera for fill (eg. during an event). Workaround: you can use a flashbracket, have your fill flash mounted on it with an additional receiver (extra cost and extra weight)

- Rikon Kody TTL: still too new with some bugs. Read the reviews. Even the local distributor (where I purchased the YN622c) recommended me to wait...

- Pixel King II and/or the Phottix Odin II: will probable have everything I would dream of... but is not out yet... Probably the day that they come out, and that the first major bugs will have been updated by a firmware update, I will then probably sell the YN622c.

Hoefie's gear list:Hoefie's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +6 more
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690
Like?
Re: YN622c TTL question
In reply to Hoefie, Mar 5, 2013

" .. How will the camera know that the actual speedlight is not on the camera, but instead is off camera .. "

Within the limitations of ETTL II, it won't and to a large degree, it doesn't matter. Off cam Rx units are/can be set to Groups. Canon Wireless Light type handles Groups A & B differently to Group C. I havn't seen reports of whether Yn 'honour' those differences or not - my guess would be that they do.

The outgoing control, power setting & triggering are now all Radio, but the return part of the logic loop is still light and it's still measured by the camera, TTL.

Practice lots, experiment for you between Eval for flash & Average for flash and keep in mind that this tech is all reflective mode metering based. So the photographer still has to be thinking about the tone & reflectivity of the scene for every shot - and tweaking FEC accordingly. Not expecting to use FEC frequently is every bit as daft as using automatic ambient exposure and expecting never to use EC or ELock. Have fun!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hoefie
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Mar 5, 2013

@ scratchdisk: this makes sense. Thanks for your feedback.

Hoefie's gear list:Hoefie's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +6 more
SeedyBee
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to Hoefie, Mar 7, 2013

Hoefie wrote: I just purchased some YN622c TTL triggers for Canon. I have a 60D and some 430EXii speedlights.

With a YN622c transmitter connected on top of my camera, will the camera "think" that there is a speedlight connected on its head ?

How will the camera know that the actual speedlight is not on the camera, but instead is off camera ? I'm afraid that if the camera believes that the trigger is an actual speedlight connected on top of my camera; and therefore it will calculate the wrong exposure setting in TTL mode.

The camera knows only that it has a Master in its hot-shoe, so does its normal Canob flash things. The camera does not know whether there are any flashes, or one or more remotes, with or without an 0n-top flash. Just as when say a 580EXII is mounted.

The camera gets feedback from any flashes when on cue they fire at 1/32 power and the light meter reads the light reflected by the subject.

Canon have been implementing E-TTL for over 10 years. The design handles all these variations.

You may find the info in "The Other YN-622C User Guide" to be helpful:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA

-- hide signature --

Clive

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads