E-7 Wish List

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,904Gear list
Like?
E-7 Wish List
Mar 5, 2013

Ok, so I'm board.

1. Maxxum 7D-like left compensation dial.

2. Hexar RF shutter button with shooting mode surround

3. E-1 right mode dial (only with movie mode and custom functions added

4. E-1 on/off switch on mode dial surround.

5. E-1 front control dial accessible for finger and thumb.

6. D7100 dual SD card slots.

7. D7100 crop mode (2.5x crop with AF sensor array covering whole area).

8. Tilt swivel of the E-5.

9. Weather sealing of E-5.

10. Size of K5ii.

11. E-M5 IS.

12. New 18mp multi-aspect ratio sensor.

13. GH-3 movie specs.

14. Advanced internal panorama and matrix stitch.

15. A99 viewfinder. (yes I want a 4/3rds mirrorless or translucent mirror digital pro camera now that Sony and Olympus are sleeping together).

16. Focus peaking.

17. 8fps

19. No low pass filter for excellent rez.

20. Full compatibility with 4/3rds lenses.

Really, is that asking too much?

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D (Dynax 7D / Alpha-7 Digital) Nikon D7100 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Pentax K-5 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MikeMercer
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: E-7 Wish List
In reply to SirSeth, Mar 5, 2013

Yes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Snowbird_UT
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
How much $$$?

How much are you willing to pay for said cam? Try to be realistic.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Snowbird_UT

GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?

1. Scaled up RX100 from Sony. Why not? Images shot with the 14-35 or 150 could produce large prints that are pixel sharp and beautiful. Expensive and major electronics upgrades would be needed for sequential shooting, but could be an actual alternative to Canon or Nikon.

2. Perfect CDAF and SAF.
3. Improved 5 axis.

That is my wishful thinking list.

Whatever they release I'll buy, I just hope (again, just a daydream) that Sony and Olympus want to help each other take DSLR market share with Olympus getting preferential treatment with sensors and Oly providing lens expertise to Sony.
I'm really just looking forward to the official specs, the wait is almost over.

AntnioGM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,666Gear list
Like?

Why not ask for a 24 megapixel sensor?

António GM

AntnioGM's gear list:AntnioGM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Leica D-LUX 4 Leica V-Lux 20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Olympus E-1 +10 more
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?

Board?

You're wooden?

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Baladam
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Optimizations and compromisings... none !

Since we receive one single camera every 3 years.... and again (but who knows) this is supposed to be one of the two final 4/3rd cameras, I am personally strongly against to any sort of price/quality/facility/saleability etc. optimization or compromising on this camera... even if it starts with a list price of usd2,000 or more...

I think that there will be a second camera as well , a 620-like version for those who look for such optimizations, specially for those who simply want OMD E-5 sensor on an E-5 body ..

Go Olympus, give us sublime of the sublime.. a great E-7 in every respect, and regardless price and technology compromises.

I really don't see any use of launching an optimized new camera which will be obsolete in the competition in few months again.

My wish list would be (in addition to those posted above)... a sure CAF, 24mp , clean 12800 ISO, very fast new picture processing engine and large RAW buffer, Wi-Fi, better (maybe a bit bigger) flip-screen.. and improved HD video facilities.

Did I ask too much ? .. But... just a wish list... not ?

SirSeth
Like?
Re: How much $$$?
In reply to Snowbird_UT, Mar 5, 2013

What item in my list is unrealistic? Mode dials? I think Olympus could do this camera for $1400.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
SirSeth
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, Mar 5, 2013

That's the best comment ever Mil. I am a woodworker, and spend time on lumberjocks forums too. Well, that and my spelling is atrocious. Really funny though now that you point it out.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth
Like?
Re: Optimizations and compromisings... none !
In reply to Baladam, Mar 5, 2013

I like your list too. Wifi and deep buffer also very good. I'd like advanced support for tablets and smartphones to control the camera. Basically wireless LCDs of any brand.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Butchy
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?

I am asking "only" for: 20mp sensor, 10fps, no flash, rounded left lower corner, control over wi-fi, HD video recording at 60fps and BLM-1/BLM-5 battery compatibility.

By the way, few months ago we were begging for anything

Marathonianbull
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

ALSO PLEASE ADD TO THE OP's WISH LIST A LITTLE SOMETHING ELSE...

=A VERY QUICKLY-ACCESSIBLE, ENTIRELY DEDICATED, OVERSIZED 'MANUAL' or 'SEMI-MANUAL (P/A/S)' SHOOTING MODE INTERFACE (!!!)

(A SIMPLE YET IMPORTANT FEATURE, FELT ABSENT FROM MY E-620, E-5 & E-P3 CLUSTERED MENUS.)

Marathonianbull's gear list:Marathonianbull's gear list
Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC +17 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,082Gear list
Like?
Not in the market, but...

I can come up w a wish list too!

Dual cards that can be used sequentially, or in tandem (one for jpeg, one for RAW)

WiFi control would of course be nice.

GPS compatibility (not asking for it to be built in, just let it talk to an add-on GPS or smartphone)

PEN/OMD accessory port or something similar... just think, you could add an EVF on top of the OVF and have the best of both worlds?

Yes, must have the tilt/swivel screen

Does it have to be so big?  E-520 sized?  (I know, some like a massive camera to go w the big lenses)

While I fully expect the E-M5 sensor, a next gen sensor would keep folks from crying 'obsolete'...for a few days anyway.

Leave room on the SCP for one or two user selected functions.

Allow naming of mysets and easier access.

Hey, here's a thought... howabout a retrofocus adapter to use m43 lenses on 4/3?  OK, I know the zooms don't compare to 4/3 counterparts, but would enough folks want access to the 75mm, the 45? some of the f0.95 lenses?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?

In another life I was a Architectural Millman for a number of years.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
WirenL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,310Gear list
Like?
Re: Optimizations and compromisings... none !

I think you forgot to add in IBGPS to your wish list.... Not that I can't add it in during post... but it would sure make things easier, and since it's a "wish" list....... otherwise, I can't argue too much about the things you asked for... especially at the end of your list... I personally could do without any movie mode, but I know it's practically a requirement for any "serious" camera these days to have that option that probably is rarely used..... or would be by me.

-- hide signature --

Lee Wiren

WirenL's gear list:WirenL's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Viewfinder Histogram & HG primes

Since we're on the subject

I'd like to see a live view histogram though the viewfinder.  I know the real estate in there is limited so maybe it could be off to the side or switchable (easy access button???).

Not sure how you'd do it in a mirrored system but as others have pointed out, who knows what Olympus is planning.  Maybe it's an option in the new world.

E-7 wants and wishes aside, I hope Olympus doesn't end up freezing 4/3 lens development.

Committing to producing an E-5 replacement that can use 4/3 lenses doesn't exactly translate to continued support for the 4/3'rds system.  There are holes in the lens lineup and while their stated focus (excuse the pun) is on the micro 4/3 line, it would be nice to finally see the HG 100mm macro and maybe something to fill the HG long range needs (400mm ??).

SHG owners might say "holes? what holes?" but unfortunately not all of us can live in that world.

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?

E cameras seem a little infrequent, so Im moving from my original 'control wheel for everything stance' to a revised layout suitable across a range of four cameras in two different formats. The model is also updateable across two generations making it the basis of 8 models.

The idea is to provide the camera of the future, that by flexible manufacture is the backbone of several generations of camera across both m43 and 43rds formats and a minimum cost but maximising parts volume to keep costs down.

This is a smaller camera than the previous two E models with a ballistic plastic casement, moulded with a sealed bottom so that it can sit on wet surfaces without risk of water ingress. The battery fits sideways in a bay door on the grip side of the camera. Circuitry fits on a chassis held into slots ant the ends, the mainboard has slots for adding RAM in a second life expansion and an onboard SSD to write to. The mirrorbox,lens mount and VF attaches inside the centre sliding into CNC milled precision grooves, and held captive by the bodies roof connected electrically at the same time. The top moulding fits in and around it sealed by a double O ring. There are a minimum number of holes in this case, and a minimum number of screws to assemble it.

Take away the fourway selector, and install a larger 100mm 16x9 touchscreen LCD almost covering the entire width of the rear of the camera. Now all the menus are in drop down groups selectable from the top, this is made active by one button. The way this would work for jpegs is, touch the icon and a screen appears with a range of control bars for sharpness, contrast, saturation, gradation, white balance etc. Touch the control bar to adjust. Sweep the screen to go to the next menu.

The advantage of the above is that screen real estate is greatly increased, and used to deploy more coherent menu items in logical groups. In normal use the huge screen will make reviewing images easier, with a lot fewer buttons to seal, less holes in the casement for dust and moisture ingress. The simplification saves money in parts and time to assemble.

The top deck is sealed from the rest of the camera, so button and wheel apertures are less of an issue. Also top decks can be exchanged to define models, basically one body moulding can serve several models and more easily updated. All buttons and dials are backlit by one LED using a clear plastic membrane to transport light and thereby reduce power consumption.

The top deck includes an On/Off switch and drive modes via a thumb selector around the trigger button. It has a mode dial with custom nameable preset modes and the usual M/A/S/B modes. AF is grouped on the left side with single, MF and CAF modes, and array definitions between single, diamond and full AF point access. In this way the primary shooting functions can be seen and preset before the camera is turned on.

The camera has a liveview system and full time high definition EVF. The camera uses the EVF all the time but you can turn the screen on to use it as liveview. The same body can be used for m43rds, simply slot out the roof, slide out the mirrorbox and replace it with the m43rds variant and slot the roof back into position, and now you have a mirrorless camera with mFT mount.

Autofocus is cdAF off the sensor. The cdAF system has reads straight through the lens, but there is an impediment within the mirror box in the form of a rotating glass disk with a slot in it. By using a principle known as Refractive Index, cdAF can get two distance measurements from the same set of AF points milliseconds apart as per the speed of the glass rotator. Images are taken through the slot in the rotator, which can be stopped for exposures longer than the transit of the slot in the glass wheel.

This system replaces pdAF as it has the same predictive algorithms, and the same ability to establish focus travel and direction. It can be made to gather more data by adding another glass ramp providing 3 focus positions. The AF receives more light than present pdAF systems so has a much lower light capability and expected better performance.

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?

SirSeth wrote:

Ok, so I'm board.

1. Maxxum 7D-like left compensation dial.

2. Hexar RF shutter button with shooting mode surround

E-30 Shutter Button or fix the sqwishy E-5 shutter button.

3. E-1 right mode dial (only with movie mode and custom functions added

Left Hand Mode Dial with Dial lock

4. E-1 on/off switch on mode dial surround.

Leave it where it is on the E-5

5. E-1 front control dial accessible for finger and thumb.

Make that E-30 Controls

6. D7100 dual SD card slots.

7. D7100 crop mode (2.5x crop with AF sensor array covering whole area).

8. Tilt swivel of the E-5.

9. Weather sealing of E-5.

Weather seal an E-30

10. Size of K5ii.

Size of E-30

11. E-M5 IS.

12. New 18mp multi-aspect ratio sensor.

13. GH-3 movie specs.

14. Advanced internal panorama and matrix stitch.

15. A99 viewfinder. (yes I want a 4/3rds mirrorless or translucent mirror digital pro camera now that Sony and Olympus are sleeping together).

OVF Please

16. Focus peaking.

17. 8fps

9-10 FPS

19. No low pass filter for excellent rez.

20. Full compatibility with 4/3rds lenses.

Really, is that asking too much?

I could add to the list but we don't want to be greedy.

21. WiFi

22. GPS Option

23. Wireless tethering.

24. Focus Assist lamp (A definite)

25. If a new grip both batteries can be replaced without taking off the grip.

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-500 +15 more
Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?

I would be happy with #8-12, very happy. And of course #20. I might even preorder

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,152
Like?
Going over wishes so far,

it quickly becomes a proverbial camel

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads