Samyang 8mm 2.8 or 3.5? vignetting on 20mp sensors

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Questions
Laurie899
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Samyang 8mm 2.8 or 3.5? vignetting on 20mp sensors
Mar 4, 2013

Im trying to decide between the Samyang 8mm 2.8 and 3.5 for my 20mp NX 20. I know from Eric's report and samle images that the 2.8 gives quite significant magenta vingnetting. Has  any one tried the 3.5 and is this issue better or worse.

I know its fixable in PP but if the 3.5 is better maybe this is the best opption unless there is another down side (don't think 1EV matters)

Thanks in anticipation of an answer

Laurie

Laurie899's gear list:Laurie899's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Knallberto
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: Samyang 8mm 2.8 or 3.5? vignetting on 20mp sensors
In reply to Laurie899, Mar 6, 2013

I am using Samyang 8mm/3.5 with all my SamsungNX, m4/3, NEX (up to 24 mp)  - there is noooooo vignetting.

I am also using Samyang 7.5mm/3.5 with all my m4/3s - there is nooooo vignetting.

WHYYYYYYY should there be vignetting?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Laurie899
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Mar 7, 2013

Knallberto wrote:

I am using Samyang 8mm/3.5 with all my SamsungNX, m4/3, NEX (up to 24 mp) - there is noooooo vignetting.

I am also using Samyang 7.5mm/3.5 with all my m4/3s - there is nooooo vignetting.

WHYYYYYYY should there be vignetting?

Thanks for your answer. The reason for the question is based upon this quote

Re: Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 NX

5 months ago                            ,                            viking79                                In reply to

viking79 wrote:

I am seeing magenta corners/sides on my NX20 as they show up on the NEX 7 as well.  Might have to use corner fix to correct that, and one side on mine is worse than the other so it might be a slight alignment issue too.

There are some sample shots clearly showing the problem on the 2.8, however it seems from your experience that the 3.5 is OK (good news) Can I check you are using it on the the NX 20mp sensor?

Again thanks for your answer

Laurie

Laurie899's gear list:Laurie899's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
83cat
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to Laurie899, Mar 7, 2013

I am interested with the samyang 8mm F2.8 for its smaller size.

but couldn't find any review about it using on nx, can anyone advice?

thanks

felix

83cat's gear list:83cat's gear list
Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Philip Sustachek
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to 83cat, 5 months ago

I'm having the same problem with the 2.8.  Glad it's a known problem at least.  Anyone have any corrections for it?

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,621Gear list
Like?
In reply to Philip Sustachek, 5 months ago

Philip Sustachek wrote:

I'm having the same problem with the 2.8. Glad it's a known problem at least. Anyone have any corrections for it?

You can create or maybe find a profile for corner fix (program for correcting this sort of thing) or adobe's flat field plugin for Lightroom.

There is a new version of the lens, I wonder if it helps with that issue.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cornerfix/

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomplugins/

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Pete Silver
Regular MemberPosts: 245Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 5 months ago

Just bought a Samyang 2.8 8mm lens - secondhand. Noticed the slight magenta cast on left hand side of picture but only notice it in lower light indoor shots. Outside it seems ok.

Easy to fix but thought it was just my version.

Pete Silver

Pete Silver's gear list:Pete Silver's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Samsung NX30 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
Philip Sustachek
Like?
In reply to Pete Silver, 5 months ago

Mine is horrid, indoor and outdoor on an nx1100. It's on at least 40% of the image, and there is actually a magenta tint throughout the image. The profile that's out there on a private webpage for cornerfix just makes my issue worse, and I found it impossible to create a profile for cornerfix because I was unable to photograph anything large smooth and white enough to create the profile with.

From what I was reading this may only be an issue on the newer generation of samsung nx cameras with the 20 megapixel sensor, and also varies per camera even in the newer lineup.  I guess people with the nx300 say it's only in the corners and not along the sides like I have on my nx1100.  The nx1100 apparently is one of the worst.   So I just bought an nx100 cheap to see if it still has the problem on it, and will just use it for a fisheye camera if not. I get the batteries for it tomorrow, will let you know.

I also created a photoshop overlay file that corrects most of it and am able to just run the photos through a batch file but it's still not a huge help with video although I was able to do some color adjustment and take care of a lot of it with that as well.

Philip Sustachek
Like?
In reply to Philip Sustachek, 5 months ago

The nx100 I got is almost perfectly free of fringing, there's only perhaps very very small hint of it, it's nothing compared to the nx1100.  So it is camera dependent.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads