NYC Skyline C&C welcome

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions
DanSD5100
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
NYC Skyline C&C welcome
Mar 4, 2013

Took these shots of Manhattan today, birds went crazy and in my excitement i just started firing off like crazy trying to capture them, yet not getting dumped on.

Any suggestions for improvement are always appreciated

DanSD5100's gear list:DanSD5100's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,099Gear list
Like?
Re: NYC Skyline C&C welcome
In reply to DanSD5100, Mar 4, 2013

DanSD5100 wrote:

Took these shots of Manhattan today, birds went crazy and in my excitement i just started firing off like crazy trying to capture them, yet not getting dumped on.

Any suggestions for improvement are always appreciated

The first thing I noticed was the white balance is off on the first two and maybe a little on the other two as well. There is way to much sharpening as artifacts are everywhere, even in the sky. Lastly, try to get a pleasing composition. The first one has the skyscraper to close to the edge and would look a lot better with some space between it and the edge.

I did a little work on two of these to show you what I am talking about. The last one I think has a little bit of motion blur as you shot this at 1/30th which is a little slow for hand holding or shooting things that move, like birds. Here it is with the white balance corrected, blurred to get rid of the artifacts, and cropped for better composition IMHO.

Here it the other one with the white balance corrected, softened, and cropped. Dave

The bottom fence posts are distracting too. If you can, position yourself closer or hold the camera higher to avoid such Obstacles, the pic will be much better.  If you had placed the left side of your viewfinder about where I have it, then the crop wouldn't be necessary. Hope this helps. Dave

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DanSD5100
Like?
In reply to David Nall, Mar 4, 2013

Thank you for the feedback Dave and for providing the visual examples to demonstrate the point which def lets me see the difference between the two, and how much improved they are just from those adjustments

Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
David Nall
Like?

DanSD5100 wrote:

Thank you for the feedback Dave and for providing the visual examples to demonstrate the point which def lets me see the difference between the two, and how much improved they are just from those adjustments

You are most welcome.  Do you have NX2 to develop you NEF files.  It is a wonderful program and fairly easy to learn.  Nikon has some great tutorials on their website.  Dave

-- hide signature --

View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
DanSD5100
Like?

Hi Dave,

I have been using Lightroom, I previously tried the NX2 tutorial and did enjoy it. For the photos i posted, i did adjust some stuff including the white balance, (oops!) so my eye for the white balance still has a little work to do haha.

From your original post, one question i forgot to ask, when you were talking about sharpness, you mentioned "artifacts" what does that refer to?

Dan

David Nall
Like?

DanSD5100 wrote:

Hi Dave,

I have been using Lightroom, I previously tried the NX2 tutorial and did enjoy it. For the photos i posted, i did adjust some stuff including the white balance, (oops!) so my eye for the white balance still has a little work to do haha.

From your original post, one question i forgot to ask, when you were talking about sharpness, you mentioned "artifacts" what does that refer to?

Dan

If you zoom in on the sky a little you will see it more easily.  I looks like little beads all over, even on the Sea Gulls.  You have to be real careful when you sharpen.  I will usually take a softening brush and go over the sky and possibly other areas that are easily affected.

-- hide signature --

David Nall
Like?

I'm not real sure about the white balance on the skyline shot I worked on, so here is another version with the posts left in.  I think I like it better.  I also resharpened the buildings a little.  Dave

First one

I think I like it a little better, but not real sure about the colors.  You were there, so which one do you prefer?  Dave

-- hide signature --

DanSD5100
Like?

Hey Dave,

Nice job with this second one! This was shot during sunset, but the shot was taken facing east. The coloration here does capture the color i was tryin to get when i took the photo. The sky was blue, but that lower portion with the clouds was more reddish, as was the light reflecting off of the building.

How did you adjust to bring out the color in this way?

Also, regarding the sharpness, i see what you meant now with the beadiness, i will have to be more careful with that! When i was trying to blur the image i was reducing the clarity, than bumping up sharpness where i wanted it to be crisper. Should i be increasing clarity rather than sharpness?

your posts have been super helpful so thank you again for taking the time!

David Nall
Like?

DanSD5100 wrote:

Hey Dave,

Nice job with this second one! This was shot during sunset, but the shot was taken facing east. The coloration here does capture the color i was tryin to get when i took the photo. The sky was blue, but that lower portion with the clouds was more reddish, as was the light reflecting off of the building.

How did you adjust to bring out the color in this way?

I used NX2's Histogram double threshold where you pic a black spot and then the white spot.  You then remove the checkmark and within the pic you select where to place a gray point on the most gray thing you can find which was on one of the buildings.  After that, you adjust levels to what looks best.

Also, regarding the sharpness, i see what you meant now with the beadiness, i will have to be more careful with that! When i was trying to blur the image i was reducing the clarity, than bumping up sharpness where i wanted it to be crisper. Should i be increasing clarity rather than sharpness?

your posts have been super helpful so thank you again for taking the time!

-- hide signature --

Randyflycaster
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
In reply to David Nall, Mar 5, 2013

BTW, If you have a car, take a drive up Boulevard East - right through the Lincoln Tunnel on the Jersey side. You'll get some great views of Manhattan.

Randy

DanSD5100
Like?
In reply to Randyflycaster, Mar 5, 2013

Thanks Randy!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads