Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
AMomcil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018Gear list
Like?
External charger for $6
In reply to Robert Wise, Mar 5, 2013

Hi Robert,

Robert Wise wrote:

3. The USB-only charging is a bit of a pain as you can't charge a battery while using the camera.

That is a non-issue when you can buy an external charger on ebay for $6.

-- hide signature --

Aleksandar Momcilovic

AMomcil's gear list:AMomcil's gear list
Sony RX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lmendy
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
My first hour with the RX100
In reply to PrimeUser, Mar 5, 2013

I liked my Fuji X10 especially the optical view finder and build quality, but it was just a bit to large and the image quality, although quite good was not quite good enough.  I had hopes that the new RX20 would surpass the X10's image quality, but after viewing images and reading every item that came out about the RX1, but it is beyond my budget and I wanted the flexibility of a zoom.

In cruising the net, I found out that Sony had the RX100 and it seemed to be what I was looking for.  I wanted an optical view finder (I may buy the Clearviewer adapter for the LCD screen), but I realized that any camera is a trade off.

I received the camera yesterday.  I had already purchased a separate charger and 2 extra batteries through Amazon (less the $20).  I unpacked it, set the date and started shooting.  I was amazed at the size and weight.  The image quality is fantastic considering the size of the camera.  I am sure that no other compact (or for that matter, many larger cameras) comes close.  I am sure that it is not only the sensor, but the lens (which is much better then most kit lenses on DSLRs).  It is a remarkable little machine.

Lmendy's gear list:Lmendy's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X-E2
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,614Gear list
Like?
Re: Just ordered RX100..first Sony ever.
In reply to Malikye, Mar 5, 2013

IMHO, Sony will not release an upgraded version soon, I would buy, and, go for one with full 30 day return policy to make sure it is correct for your needs.

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100
Malikye
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Mar 5, 2013

elliottnewcomb wrote:

IMHO, Sony will not release an upgraded version soon, I would buy, and, go for one with full 30 day return policy to make sure it is correct for your needs.

Elliott

I can see your point. I am so close to pulling the trigger and buying this camera before my Vegas trip at the end of this month. I do have an older Sony P&S, the T200 that I can take with me if i do decide to wait.

This isn't about, "well, if you're always waiting for the next upgrade, you'll never buy one". Like i mentioned, i haven't been keeping up with cameras for awhile, so i didn't know about the rx100 till last week. Since they announced the rx100 last June, i thought maybe i can wait till June to see if they announce the successor.

But i do agree with you. Maybe i'll pull the trigger this week and just purchase it. i've been drooling over the reviews and pictures i've seen

gavin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,185Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrimeUser, Mar 5, 2013

I use the RX100 to compliment my Canon 5DII. Its the best small camera that I have used. I also liked the Panasonic LX? series too but the sensor for the RX100 is much better. It is also small enough that I put it in my pockets. I highly recommend the 3rd party grip from RIchard Franiec that has been reviewed by many sites. It helps with the ergonomicas without increasing the bulk of the whole set up.

I have some street photos from Hong Kong at night using the RX100 in this set here towards the end of the set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz/sets/72157632536025493/

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax WG-3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Robert Wise
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: External charger for $6
In reply to AMomcil, Mar 6, 2013

Thanks for that info, AMomncil.

I didn't know you could buy an external charger for the Sony RX100 camera.

I shall seek one out.

Thanks again.

Robert Wise

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrimeUser, Mar 6, 2013

PrimeUser wrote:

I had not planned on buying a new P&S this weekend, I already have the Panasonic LX5 and Nikon D90......but we are already planning our vacation for this year ( Banff NP ) so I need a good quality P&S, will most likely sell the LX5 on eBay.

I usually spend weeks or months researching camera purchases, so I hope the 2 days I spent reading stellar reviews about the RX100 prove to be correct!

I liked the 1'' sensor, retractable lens with no separate cap.

Sounds like the battery may last long enough and 2nd one may not be needed?

Am assuming the RX100 will produce out of the camera JPG's at least as good as the LX5 and better....

The RX100 will give you clean ISO 1600 pictures.  With IS.  And its flash pivots to the ceiling for red-eye free flash work.

It is very nice.

The LX5 is sharper than the LX7, which is soft until stopped down.

In good light the LX5 is fantastic.  Indoors it kind of needs a flash.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
elliottnewcomb
Like?

you can time your purchase '30 day return' around your trip, bet you won't return it.

there was an early thread from someone with lots of very nice Vegas shots.

beyond the auto modes which give very good results, there is a bit of a learning curve.

Sony's manual totally sucks. There is a 266 page pdf on line somewhere, and there was a place to download it. If you cannot find it, I can email it to you. Anyone know where to download it?

I made an 11 page 'Condensed Manual Part One' for myself, all the basic capabilities covered, small enough to print and make my circles and arrows.

Send me your email in a private message and I will send it, others have said they liked it.

Elliott

Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Mar 6, 2013

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Sony's manual totally sucks. There is a 266 page pdf on line somewhere, and there was a place to download it. If you cannot find it, I can email it to you. Anyone know where to download it?

Full manual here.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
PrimeUser
Senior MemberPosts: 2,543
Like?
I found manual in the normal spot
In reply to Liz Z., Mar 6, 2013
Liz Z.
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: I found manual in the normal spot

PrimeUser wrote:

On the Sony support page for RX100

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCRX100&LOC=3#/manualsTab

Great that Sony finally posted that! For months all they had was the on-line .html version of the full manual, and some of us with the full version of Adobe Acrobat were converting it to .pdfs and uploading it here and there for file sharing.

-- hide signature --

Liz

Liz Z.'s gear list:Liz Z.'s gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +1 more
Malikye
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Mar 7, 2013

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Elliott

I just pulled the trigger right now and ordered the Sony rx100 from Amazon. it was in a kit with 32GB card, camera bag, screen protector, etc. for the same price of a regular rx100 by itself. I also ordered 2 batteries with a wall charger for 20 bucks. Can't wait!!!

PDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
In reply to Malikye, Mar 7, 2013

As some have pointed out, the USB charging is one of the best features of this camera.  Since it uses the same plug as just about anything.  Great for travel since you don't need to worry about bringing a separate charger.  Buy a 2nd battery and keep it in your belt case and recharge at night or in the car.

Also, the bounce-able flash really adds to the equation.

All that on top of a superb sensor, lens, movie and AF performance, small size.

What's not to like?

OK, make RX-200 24mm, waterproof with accessory EVF and I would pay $1k for it no questions asked.

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to PDavis, Mar 7, 2013

PDavis wrote:

As some have pointed out, the USB charging is one of the best features of this camera. Since it uses the same plug as just about anything. Great for travel since you don't need to worry about bringing a separate charger. Buy a 2nd battery and keep it in your belt case and recharge at night or in the car.

Also, the bounce-able flash really adds to the equation.

All that on top of a superb sensor, lens, movie and AF performance, small size.

What's not to like?

OK, make RX-200 24mm, waterproof with accessory EVF and I would pay $1k for it no questions asked.

I purchased an RX-100 as soon as it came out.  I love the camera for its portability and image quality.  However, on direct comparison to my Samsung NX20, which I actually got a great deal for the same cost, the RX-100's image quality is not nearly as good.

Thus, I would love something between the RX-1 and RX-100: APS-C, hot shoe for an EVF, lens undecided but overall, I want something compact with super0high quality.

elliottnewcomb
Like?
In reply to Malikye, Mar 7, 2013

I predict that you will love this camera. Make us drool over your shots with it.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb
Like?
Manual DOWNLOADABLE here
In reply to PrimeUser, Mar 7, 2013

Liz's site allows DOWNLOAD, top left, file, drop down menu. I can't find it on other site.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2_JcCWKiYOlM19pNHhwUTlkMEk/edit?usp=sharing

-- hide signature --

Elliott

PrimeUser
Senior MemberPosts: 2,543
Like?
Re: Manual DOWNLOADABLE here
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Mar 7, 2013

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Liz's site allows DOWNLOAD, top left, file, drop down menu. I can't find it on other site.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

load pdf from here, then save as

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCRX100_guide_EN.pdf

Michael's Photos
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: A must-get for the RX100.
In reply to PrimeUser, Mar 8, 2013

Here's a beautiful leica-type leather cover for the RX100. You can get on EBay for less than $20: Go to EBay "search for" and put in:  Camera Leather decoration sticker for Sony DSC-RX100 4008 Leica Type.  It also really helps to hold the camera, you really won't need a "grip."  You won't regret it.

elliottnewcomb
Like?
Re: My first hour with the RX100
In reply to Lmendy, Mar 8, 2013

Lmendy

You have some very nice shots there, I especially like the birdhouse. Where did you get those shoes, they look comfy.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Malikye
Like?
In reply to Malikye, Mar 13, 2013

finally, my RX100 will arrive tomorrow. I also purchased 2 extra battery with a wall charger. can't wait! just in time for my Vegas trip next weekend!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads