New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644
Like?
New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!
Mar 3, 2013

I am mainly a DSLR shooter, but wanted a point and shoot camera.  I bought a Canon G15 and returned it (I own a Canon camcorder and DSLR so I figured I'd stay brand loyal).  The G15 stinks.  It's slow, yes it can use an external flash, but the pre flashes and delay are terrible, I ended up returning it.  I bought it at Best Buy, so when I returned it, I wanted to get something that they had in stock.  They gave me a great deal (price matched Amazon) on a NEX-5R

The stock lens isn't sharp, so I figured if I'm going to do it, do it right.  I got the 24mm online.  My goal is to have a compact camera (P&S) that shoots RAW.

So far, this combo has exceeded my every expectation.  I'm very pleased.

I shot these RAW, in manual mode, AF face priority, initial pass through DxO on their Neutral settings, and then brief crop and touch up in LR, final colors and contrast rendered by Alien Skin Exposure 4.

These are just family snap shots, all available light.  Normally I hate available light, but the flash on this camera stinks and I haven't ordered the upgraded flash yet.  Still, not bad at all for available light.

http://www.bershatsky.com/Family/2013/03/

Canon PowerShot G15 NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644
Like?
Also...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 3, 2013

I used Nikon DSLRs for years!  I got rid of the D800 and switched to Canon (great decision BTW), and this NEX-5R IMO is better than the D800!

The D800 AF sucked, the dynamic range is nothing special, and the stupid green LCD was awful!  In all fairness though, I was very happy with the D700 prior.  The D300 not so much, the D200 was awesome in it's day, and the D70s also was great a the time.  The D800 was just such a lemon/fiasco that they lost me.

OK, I'm done pontificating about my new Sony.  Gotta go take some pictures!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Re: New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 3, 2013

Nice shots! Very 'cosy'. Which 24mm did you have? (Assuming there is more than one.) Sony? I have a 5R with the kit zoom (16-50) and being one has to work quite hard to get good shots indoors without ramping up the ISO, am thinking of a prime, so your shots are inspiring.

 MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
Re: New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!
In reply to MrTaikitso, Mar 3, 2013

24/1.8 on NEX is almost definitely the Sony/Zeiss, which by itself is twice the price of the G15. So, not at all a fair comparison, but good to hear the OP is happy with the combination he ended up with. An RX100 may have been a bit more fair to put against the G15 (although it's still probably $200 more).

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

 SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Re: New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!
In reply to SQLGuy, Mar 3, 2013

Ouch! You're right, no wonder the indoor IQ and noise is so lovely. If I was going to spend that much, I would get the NEX 6 or wait for whatever is coming to replace the 7. (Mind you, in my case, the 5R is good because I like the forward facing display for shooting video blogs.)

(I'll prob get the Sigma 30mm f2.8 so I can eat.)

SQLGuy wrote:

24/1.8 on NEX is almost definitely the Sony/Zeiss, which by itself is twice the price of the G15. So, not at all a fair comparison, but good to hear the OP is happy with the combination he ended up with. An RX100 may have been a bit more fair to put against the G15 (although it's still probably $200 more).

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

 MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mojn
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: Also...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 3, 2013

I used Nikon DSLRs for years! I got rid of the D800 and switched to Canon (great decision BTW), and this NEX-5R IMO is better than the D800!

Better for you I suppose, and why not. I own a D800 and a 5N. I would not compare the two too much. Sounds more like you are justifying your purchase, and why not.

>The D800 AF sucked

No it doesn't, but the myths created on the internet has become a religion for some gearheads.

>the dynamic range is nothing special

Dynamic range is not always needed, and it's not for everyone. Same goes for resolution. D800 DR and resolution is special - your statement is not competent.

>and the stupid green LCD was awful!

Another myth. Did you actually own that camera?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 869
Like?
Re: Also...
In reply to Mojn, Mar 3, 2013

Mojn wrote:

I used Nikon DSLRs for years! I got rid of the D800 and switched to Canon (great decision BTW), and this NEX-5R IMO is better than the D800!

Better for you I suppose, and why not. I own a D800 and a 5N. I would not compare the two too much. Sounds more like you are justifying your purchase, and why not.

>The D800 AF sucked

No it doesn't, but the myths created on the internet has become a religion for some gearheads.

>the dynamic range is nothing special

Dynamic range is not always needed, and it's not for everyone. Same goes for resolution. D800 DR and resolution is special - your statement is not competent.

>and the stupid green LCD was awful!

Another myth. Did you actually own that camera?

I agree to the DR comments. The 24 FF sensor in A99, RX1, D600 and the 36Mpix in D800 are industry leading, not even medium format can compete here.

...but okay, the current gen NEX'es have better DR than current Canon FF cameras, so question is if level is sp high already that no more is required in this area, unless you want HDR look without having to stack images?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644
Like?
Oh Yes!
In reply to Mojn, Mar 3, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Sony/CZ 24mm is pure quality.
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 3, 2013

I'm glad you're enjoying the combo. Although I'd say the D800 and the 5R are completely different animals, I, too, can't say enough good things about the 24mm.

In my opinion, Sony CZ 24mm is one of the NEX system's greatest strengths.

 J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644
Like?
Just posted a whole bunch more from today. Again only available light.
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 3, 2013

My recommendation - get the 24mm!

http://www.bershatsky.com/Family/2013/03/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,739
Like?
MrTaikitso, eating is way over rated. The 24mm is not.
In reply to MrTaikitso, Mar 4, 2013
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens & Nikon V1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RezaTravilla
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: Also...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 4, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I used Nikon DSLRs for years! I got rid of the D800 and switched to Canon (great decision BTW), and this NEX-5R IMO is better than the D800!

The D800 AF sucked, the dynamic range is nothing special, and the stupid green LCD was awful! In all fairness though, I was very happy with the D700 prior. The D300 not so much, the D200 was awesome in it's day, and the D70s also was great a the time. The D800 was just such a lemon/fiasco that they lost me.

OK, I'm done pontificating about my new Sony. Gotta go take some pictures!

let me guess, Canon 5D Mk III ? 

i'm also thinking to move there. Also a Nikon DSLR's user here! 

Nikon, after the flood event (thailand), have a bad issue with quality control which in the end makes me confuse to which one i want to upgrade.

D600 have a sensor dust problem. Kinda funny you buy over $1000 camera and every time you doing shoot or have project or hunting, you must clean the sensor. That's sucks!

D800, well my friend own that. Not like you said the LCD was just fine but it's kinda lack on AF like you said and it's very slow when you want to see the images on the playback menu because of the big sizing file. Also somehow i don't like the white balance (unstable).

Comparable to NEX5r, one thing i never like with the NEX system is their lenses. Nikon have many great lenses.

So what is the solution?  i'm using adapter Nikon to NEX hahahahahahaha

 RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
Re: Sony/CZ 24mm is pure quality.
In reply to J Yohan, Mar 4, 2013

J Yohan wrote:

I'm glad you're enjoying the combo. Although I'd say the D800 and the 5R are completely different animals, I, too, can't say enough good things about the 24mm.

In my opinion, Sony CZ 24mm is one of the NEX system's greatest strengths.

But I am afraid u have to do some/a lot of post-processing due to

heaving vignetting & CA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644
Like?
Re: Sony/CZ 24mm is pure quality.
In reply to wwwOKCOMEONcom, Mar 4, 2013

I don't worry about either of those.  Besides I use DxO and eventually they'll have a module.  Not too worried.  I add vignettes in post.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,396Gear list
Like?
Re: New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 4, 2013

I was amazed. Especially the videos...this must be as good or better than the GH3. Good colors, sharp. I haven't tried video yet on my 5R so I have something to look forward to. Great lens.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mojn
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh Yes!
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 4, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I even had an article published on Nikon Rumors:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/25/it-seems-that-nikon-does-have-a-fix-for-the-green-tint-on-the-lcd-screen-of-the-d800.aspx/

So they fixed your camera - and then "you got rid of it (the lemon)". Very good, I was right then

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,644
Like?
Trolling trolling trolling...
In reply to Mojn, Mar 4, 2013

I figure 7 months with a camera enough time to figure out if it works properly or not.  Even after...

WAIT!  You're an argument troll!  I give up. You win! You're Amazing!  Well done!  How marvelous you are!  How stupendous for you!  What else can you add to this conversation?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mojn
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: Trolling trolling trolling...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Mar 4, 2013

There's nothing more rational to add here. But at least I'll stay polite and wish you a nice day.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,764
Like?
Re: Also...
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Apr 10, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I used Nikon DSLRs for years!  I got rid of the D800 and switched to Canon (great decision BTW), and this NEX-5R IMO is better than the D800!

The D800 AF sucked, the dynamic range is nothing special, and the stupid green LCD was awful!  In all fairness though, I was very happy with the D700 prior.  The D300 not so much, the D200 was awesome in it's day, and the D70s also was great a the time.  The D800 was just such a lemon/fiasco that they lost me.

Good riddance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: New NEX-5R and 24mm 1.8 lens - very impressive combo!
In reply to The Photo Ninja, Apr 11, 2013

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I am mainly a DSLR shooter, but wanted a point and shoot camera.  I bought a Canon G15 and returned it (I own a Canon camcorder and DSLR so I figured I'd stay brand loyal).  The G15 stinks.  It's slow, yes it can use an external flash, but the pre flashes and delay are terrible, I ended up returning it.  I bought it at Best Buy, so when I returned it, I wanted to get something that they had in stock.  They gave me a great deal (price matched Amazon) on a NEX-5R

The stock lens isn't sharp, so I figured if I'm going to do it, do it right.  I got the 24mm online.  My goal is to have a compact camera (P&S) that shoots RAW.

So far, this combo has exceeded my every expectation.  I'm very pleased.

I shot these RAW, in manual mode, AF face priority, initial pass through DxO on their Neutral settings, and then brief crop and touch up in LR, final colors and contrast rendered by Alien Skin Exposure 4.

These are just family snap shots, all available light.  Normally I hate available light, but the flash on this camera stinks and I haven't ordered the upgraded flash yet.  Still, not bad at all for available light.

http://www.bershatsky.com/Family/2013/03/

Wow, this makes most of my camera equipment purchasing decisions seem sound(though they often aren't).

Given the thought process as you have shared here, the top cameras for me would have been: Fuji x100s $1,299 or Nikon Coolpix A $1,100 or with ovf $1,500(both of these over what you purchased for about $1,700) or the RX100 for $598 over the G15.

-- hide signature --

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads