Tokina 80-200 f2.8 for D7000

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Questions
Younster10
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Tokina 80-200 f2.8 for D7000
Mar 3, 2013

Hi guys

I found a second hand Tokina 80-200 f2.8 for a very reasonable price. Now my question is how good is this lens actually? Is it reasanble focussing? Is it scharp? etc...

I know it probably isn't comparable to the Nikon version but still at this price point it's very attractive.

Thanks a lot!

Younster10's gear list:Younster10's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina 80-200 f2.8 for D7000
In reply to Younster10, Mar 3, 2013

Younster10 wrote:

Hi guys

I found a second hand Tokina 80-200 f2.8 for a very reasonable price. Now my question is how good is this lens actually? Is it reasanble focussing? Is it scharp? etc...

I know it probably isn't comparable to the Nikon version but still at this price point it's very attractive.

Thanks a lot!

You didn't say what the price point was so no way to know if it's attractively priced. I've used one just to try it out at a used camera store and was somewhat impressed by the output. The build was nice too.

For everyday use, I'd rather have Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 AFD model though. I know and count of it regularly. They sell for around $1100 new and somewhat less used. A push pull version or one ring model with the same optics sells for around $500 used in great shape. The older one is slower focusing though. I thought the Tokina was also fairly slow.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Benveniste
Senior MemberPosts: 1,674Gear list
Like?
In reply to Younster10, Mar 3, 2013

I used the manual focus version of this lens for about 20 years with film.  The AF version has similar optics and improved coatings.  Obviously, I can't speak to AF speed.  Nor can I speak to the AF speed for your D7000's motor, or even about the lens on DX.

Optically, it was good enough to give a "wake up" call to Nikon and Canon.  It was lighter, smaller, and in the same league optically as Nikon's own manual focus 80-200mm f/2.8, and it cost about a third as much.  It took Nikon a few years, but eventually they responded with their own AF version.  I eventually sold the Tokina and bought a one-ring 80-200mm f/2.8D.  The Nikkor is a better lens, but not by a huge amount.  Unlike the Nikkor, the Tokina did have a tripod mount, but it was quite flimsy by modern standards.
In short, there are worse ways to try to save a few hundred dollars.  If you want to find out if a xx-200mm f/2.8 lens is for you, the $50-$75 you'll spend in "flipping" a Tokina is a cheap way to do so.  But if you do any "pixel peeping" at all, don't think of it as a long-term buy.

-- hide signature --

I miss the days when I used to be nostalgic.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +30 more
Younster10
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 4, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

Younster10 wrote:

Hi guys

Thanks a lot!

You didn't say what the price point was so no way to know if it's attractively priced.

It's priced around 190 euros so kind a cheap.

I've used one just to try it out at a used camera store and was somewhat impressed by the output. The build was nice too.

For everyday use, I'd rather have Nikon's 80-200 f/2.8 AFD model though. I know and count of it regularly. They sell for around $1100 new and somewhat less used. A push pull version or one ring model with the same optics sells for around $500 used in great shape. The older one is slower focusing though. I thought the Tokina was also fairly slow.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Thanks for your advice, maybe it will be better to save my money and buy a nikon or sigma version?

Younster10's gear list:Younster10's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
GermaninLondon
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
In reply to Younster10, Mar 4, 2013

Hello

I have had a Tokina 80-200 f2.8 ATX Pro from new for about 15 years. I have carried it in a rucksack up and down the Himalaya and through deserts and on a MF film camera (FM3a) it was brilliant. It still looks like new even though I really never looked after it well. But on digital it just doesn't work for me. It flares very badly and it never really achieves biting sharpness or good contrast. Also, now that I use AF, I found its AF performance to be dismal. So I don't use it anymore. As a fan of Tokina lenses, I am now waiting for the new Tokina 70-200 f4, which was recently announced. The old f2.8 I unfortunately cannot recommend on digital. If you can live without AF (and MF seems to be the only option with that lens), then you might as well look for a Nikkor AIS 50-135 f3.5, which is smaller, only a little bit slower and works much better on digital. It also gives a very nice range on DX. Alternatively, there is the old Nikkor AIS 80-200 f4, which should cost the same and had a great reputation but I haven't tried that on digital.

Regards

GermaninLondon's gear list:GermaninLondon's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Pat1954
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to Younster10, Mar 4, 2013

Younster10 wrote:

Thanks for your advice, maybe it will be better to save my money and buy a nikon or sigma version?

Judging from the examples of Sigma and Tokina lenses I've owned and also presently own, I'd likely pick Tokina over Sigma.

-- hide signature --

_________ Pat

bobgee
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Pat1954, 4 months ago

Hello,

l like to throw my 2 cents into this thread. I like to ask you 1 question? That question is how much are you planning on pyting for the lens, the reason why i ask this is Tokina is no longer able to repair this lens....they no longer make replacements parts for the 80-200 f2.8. So, if you do buy  this and you drop it make sure the price point that you are willing to pay is not too much because if it is and knowing that this lens CAN NOT be repaired at all. I just want you to be happy with your future paper weight.

Bob G.

vepar
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobgee, 4 months ago

So for your first post you decide to answer one year old question. I'm sure OP already decided regarding his lens purchase

So, for all the lurkers... this should be somewhere around 100% crop.

All shots handheld with d800 at some random guy.

1. 200mm @2.8 70-200 vr ii

2. 200mm @2.8 80-200 Tokina ATX AF

3. 200mm @4.0 70-200 vr ii

4. 200mm @4.0 80-200 Tokina ATX AF

On FX Tokina doesn't loose sharpness in corners compared to center of frame.

It is still very fine professional tool. In high contrast situation can exibit Ca - both LoCa and purple fringe. @2.8 MFD it can be even softer. Built quality is superb. Bottom line, stopped down to 3,5 or less it is very capable performer.

vepar's gear list:vepar's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +8 more
denniruz
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Younster10, 3 months ago

I just snagged one one of these-  It's replacing a Nikon 70-300 VR that I use to shoot lots of soccer and lacrosse and here's my take-

I'm using it on a D7000

I paid $400 for it.

It's a well built lens that is super sharp at f4

AF is accurate even in HS sports stadium quality lighting (aka pretty dark!)

AF is a little slow but not enough to be a problem if you know how to shoot the sport.

Bokeh is beautiful.

Use a tripod or monopod as it's flipping heavy!

The clutch mechanism with the focus ring took some getting used to.

Even knowing the support sunset on this lens, I feel like I got a fantastic bargain on it and I would say if you can get a similar deal, buy it.

I'm going to try it with a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter in a week or two- I'll let you know how it works.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads