MX1 - Time Lapse?

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions
Malikye
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
MX1 - Time Lapse?
Mar 3, 2013

Hi,

I am very interested in purchasing this camera. I am interested in doing time-lapse. Does this camera has that feature?

I did download the manual and i read that it has "Time-lapse movie mode". I don't think i'm interested in a "MOVIE" time lapse. I also read that the time limit for the movie time-lapse is only 25 minutes. I'm sure i want to take pictures for maybe an hour or 2 when i'm doing time-lapse.

If it doesn't have time-lapse, i noticed this camera has 2 IR ports - front and back. Maybe I can do time-lapse with a programmable remote? I have searched online, but I can't seem to find a remote control for the MX-1. So what are the IR ports for?

Thanks!

Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,677Gear list
Like?
Re: MX1 - Time Lapse?
In reply to Malikye, Mar 3, 2013

It has continuous but not time lapse unfortunately.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,783Gear list
Like?

Don't know about the MX-1 but the Q has time lapse functions. It can either store individual high-res pictures, or build a time-lapse movie for you, which is very nice if all you want is a fun timelapse without doing any boring post-processing. Max is 999 pictures (though i doubt the battery will last that long). The interval can be adjusted from 1 second to hours.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Malikye
Like?
In reply to miles green, Mar 3, 2013

anyone know what the IR ports are for? I can't find any remotes for sale for the MX1.

photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

Malikye wrote:

anyone know what the IR ports are for? I can't find any remotes for sale for the MX1.

They are for the remote control.  I don't think there is a specific remote control for the MX1, it can use the standard wireless Pentax remote control.

And it does time-lapse recording.  I haven't played much at all with the video capabilities but if you look at Pentax's site.  It has all the information there for you.

"capture mode includes: High Speed Movie (VGA, 120 FPS capture, 30 FPS playback),Time Lapse Movie..."

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/MX-1_Silver#!product-specs

photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-A1
Malikye
Like?
In reply to photocat2007, Mar 3, 2013

photocat2007 wrote:

Malikye wrote:

They are for the remote control. I don't think there is a specific remote control for the MX1, it can use the standard wireless Pentax remote control.

And it does time-lapse recording. I haven't played much at all with the video capabilities but if you look at Pentax's site. It has all the information there for you.

"capture mode includes: High Speed Movie (VGA, 120 FPS capture, 30 FPS playback),Time Lapse Movie..."

Thank you for your reply. I did read the manual. I think "Time Lapse Movie" means some sort of video file (I'm not sure). But anyways, the PDF manual says 25 minutes is the maximum for this feature. Time Lapse "photography" can take hours and hours to do. If i wanted to do any Time Lapse "Movie", i think i can use my HD camcorder and speed it up on post processing.

Great to know about a standard Pentax remote. I will look into that. Thanks!

miles green
Like?

Malikye wrote:

photocat2007 wrote:

Malikye wrote:

They are for the remote control. I don't think there is a specific remote control for the MX1, it can use the standard wireless Pentax remote control.

And it does time-lapse recording. I haven't played much at all with the video capabilities but if you look at Pentax's site. It has all the information there for you.

Thank you for your reply. I did read the manual. I think "Time Lapse Movie" means some sort of video file (I'm not sure). But anyways, the PDF manual says 25 minutes is the maximum for this feature. Time Lapse "photography" can take hours and hours to do. If i wanted to do any Time Lapse "Movie", i think i can use my HD camcorder and speed it up on post processing.

Great to know about a standard Pentax remote. I will look into that. Thanks!

The MX1 sounds exactly like the Q:

a. it works with the regular pentax remote which also works for the K cameras

b. time lapse movie creates a move from intervalled pictures in-camera. I played around with the settings and: 25 minutes is not the total filming time, i guess it's the total playing time. Depending on the interval selected, filming time can be up to 99 hours. It's a very neat feature if you're too lazy to do it on the PC (like me).

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Malikye
Like?
In reply to miles green, Mar 4, 2013

miles green wrote:

b. time lapse movie creates a move from intervalled pictures in-camera. I played around with the settings and: 25 minutes is not the total filming time, i guess it's the total playing time. Depending on the interval selected, filming time can be up to 99 hours. It's a very neat feature if you're too lazy to do it on the PC (like me).

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

In the manual, it says:

"In Movie or Time-Lapse Movie mode, you can record continuously up to 25 minutes"

So i assume you can only capture 25 minutes worth. i'm not sure what "Time-Lapse Movie" means. does it use a video file?

miles green
Like?
In reply to Malikye, Mar 4, 2013

Malikye wrote:

miles green wrote:

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

In the manual, it says:

"In Movie or Time-Lapse Movie mode, you can record continuously up to 25 minutes"

So i assume you can only capture 25 minutes worth.

They must mean 25 minutes of play time.

i'm not sure what "Time-Lapse Movie" means. does it use a video file?

Yes.

In the "time lapse movie" menu, you enter:

1.  the interval you want (from 1 second to 99 hours)

2. the duration of the image taking (from 5 seconds to 99 hours depending on the interval)

3. start time / now

And a start button.

In time-lapse movie mode, you get a movie file (the individual pictures are deleted).

In regular time lapse mode, the pictures are stored and no movie is created.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

ozdean
Like?
In reply to miles green, Mar 4, 2013

Miles is this full res individual interval shots in regular mode?

DPR says it hasn't got it.

-- hide signature --

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
miles green
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Mar 4, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Miles is this full res individual interval shots in regular mode?

DPR says it hasn't got it.

-- hide signature --

I've been talking about my Q.

It will do both full res intervalled individual shots and full HD interval movies.

I just tested it it will do a 30 minute time lapse at one frame per 5 seconds and it did no problems.

I have a slowish class 10 card in the Q at the moment, and it struggles at 1 frame per second, OK thereafter. Maybe i should give it a try with the Sandisk Extreme (45MB/sec) i have in the K5...

The french Pentax website says this about the MX1:

"Côté créativité la fonction vidéo n’est pas en reste puisqu’il vous sera possible de bénéficier de fonctions comme l’enregistrement en haute vitesse* pour un visionnage au ralenti, et un mode Time-lapse pour un visionnage accéléré*. Une prise micro-HDMI (type D) est également prévue pour les connexions vers d’autres périphériques comme votre téléviseur.
* dans ces modes la définition est limitée au VGA (640x480)."

In a few words, it has both slow-motion and time-lapse in VGA mode (640x480).

I think we need an MX1 user for further clarifications....

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Tjalpics
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to miles green, Mar 6, 2013

The MX-1 user manual (or 'camera manual' as Pentax calls it) states:

"Time-Lapse Movie - Captures frames for fast motion playback" and "In Time-Lapse Movie mode the number of recorded pixels is fixed to 640x480" so obviously not a movie recording, but seperate frames. Nowhere in the manual a time-lapse mode for photos/stills is mentioned.

miles green
Like?
MX-1 vs Q (regarding timelapses)
In reply to Tjalpics, Mar 6, 2013

Tjalpics wrote:

The MX-1 user manual (or 'camera manual' as Pentax calls it) states:

"Time-Lapse Movie - Captures frames for fast motion playback" and "In Time-Lapse Movie mode the number of recorded pixels is fixed to 640x480" so obviously not a movie recording, but seperate frames. Nowhere in the manual a time-lapse mode for photos/stills is mentioned.

After you took the time to read the manuals, i thought i'd check too, so I stand corrected in assuming the MX-1 does as the Q:

MX-1:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/mx-1.pdf

Q:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/q.pdf

The MX-1 only has time-lapse video producing 640x480 movies (presumably from still frames which are discarded).

The Q can produce 1920x1080 full HD timelapse movies. The duration of the recording, depending on the interval chosen, can be set up to 99 hours (with external power, because the battery definitely won't last that long!). The output is an AVI file.

Additionally, the Q can take intervalled pictures (which can be used in post-processing to produce time-lapses with higher definition, panning etc).

In either mode, the Q has trouble keeping up with shooting at 1 picture per second, even with a Sandisk Extreme card (borrowed from the K5). It will keep up at 1 pic every 3 seconds in raw and video mode. one every 2 seconds shooting jpgs in picture mode. A fix would be cool, or maybe the Q10 is fast enough?

On the bright side, the MX-1 has a slow-motion mode, and a pano-stitching mode, and some other fun stuff which is described in the manual.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

ozdean
Like?
Re: MX-1 vs Q (regarding timelapses)
In reply to miles green, Mar 8, 2013

Thanks for that clarification.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads