Farewell, Olympus :(

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
jrs91
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Farewell, Olympus :(
Mar 2, 2013

This is a sad day for me. I'm ebaying all my Olympus gear and will be left without a dSLR.

In the short-term, I just needed the cash after having to spend thousands of dollars unexpectedly, but to be honest, I've been mulling the decision for a while, and for the next 6 months due to work and other things, it's hard to see how i'd get much use out of it anyway, so I'm sucking it up and taking my losses now.

I really really loved the E-System and consider it a shame that it never took off. I bought into it partly because of lower size/weight compared to full-frame and APS-C but most importantly, I felt the lenses were very well designed, incredibly sharp, and I loved the fact that all HG and SHGs were all environmentally sealed because I tend to vacation in places with crappy conditions and don't like screwing around with protective gear for my camera. I felt very safe using the E-3 in the rain etc. At the time, CaNikon had no real answer to that outside of their top of the line professional bodies that cost upwards of 10k. Ditto for the lenses. On Canon, only the L glass is sealed. On Nikon, they don't even tell you which lenses are sealed in their product literature.

The E-3 was a great camera; built like a tank, with great sealing, and just an overall pleasure to use. I STILL believe that Olympus glass is unmatched. The Zuiko lenses are simply fantastic.

The truth is that I could continue to go on using my existing gear, assuming I didn't need the money right now, but the real problem as I see it is that it would be very hard for me to justify buying more lenses for a dying system.

Olympus may release an E-7, and I really hope e-system users get that OM-D sensor and 5-axis IS because it would be a shame for all that nice glass to go to waste.

As for me, I've been checking out the D800 and 5D Mark III, as well as the 7D on the Canon side. I'll probably buy the L glass this year, and a cheaper body, and wait for the upgrade to the Mark III that will hopefully have closed to d800 res or maybe a 6D. Hard to say because I do enjoy landscape photography and the specs on the D800 make it almost a medium format camera. Then again, the Canons have a chunkier grip that feels much better in my hands, so I really have no idea what I'm going to do.

So, good luck guys. Hope you get your E-7!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,942Gear list
Like?
Re: Farewell, Olympus :(
In reply to jrs91, Mar 2, 2013

One post....only one thing to say....hi....bye.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-420 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Goodbye, good luck with full frame
In reply to jrs91, Mar 2, 2013

From your total of two posts on dpreview it appears you're selling Olympus to adopt full frame. Good luck. The body and those f/2.8 lenses you'll have to buy will cost you a lot more than anything from Olympus. If you were strapped for cash as you say, FF is not a good alternative.

Canon is not going to upgrade the 5D mkIII anytime soon. They just released it.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
ClickRick
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Mar 2, 2013

High there,

A dying system? Not for me.

The other brands you mention are great photographic tools and when they are in good hands they are able to make great pictures too. But ofcourse you need the same high quality glass. To start again and invest in a new 'living' system with another brand cost you a lot of money and you loose a lot selling used products.

But it's always nice to buy a new camera and if possible, the latest, newest camera on the market. But be aware that just buying a good camera is not enough, you have to invest in high quality lenses too. And be aware within six moths, you have an 'old' camera too and just after a year you have an obsolete camera which belongs to the dinosaur era.

That is what the camera industry wants us to think. I do not fall in this trap. I still have some great 'old' pictures and slides made with the so called old analog cameras. And I have great pictures made with 'old' 1.5 or 5 megapixel cameras which. And I still can with those photo tools.

Olympus is still alive and kicking (in my hands). You can still buy new lenses, new E-5's and do not forget the second hand market is a paradise. Recently Olympus anounced (once again) that they support the 43-system and we can expect a new 43-camera.

Greetings,

ClikRick

jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,379Gear list
Like?
Re: Goodbye, good luck with full frame
In reply to dave gaines, Mar 2, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

From your total of two posts on dpreview it appears you're selling Olympus to adopt full frame. Good luck. The body and those f/2.8 lenses you'll have to buy will cost you a lot more than anything from Olympus. If you were strapped for cash as you say, FF is not a good alternative.

Dave,

That very much depends on where you come from Olympus FT gear is very expensive in the UK and most of Europe for that matter

Jim

UK

Nikon

http://camerapricebuster.com/cat_Nikon_SLR_Lenses.html

Nikon 14-24       £ 1299

Nikon 24-70       £ 1229

Nikon 70-200II  £ 1575

TOTAL  = £4103

Olympus

http://camerapricebuster.com/olympusaccessories.html

Olympus 7-14        £ 1449

Olympus 14-35      £ 1799

Olympus 35-100    £ 1907

TOTAL = £5155

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrs91, Mar 3, 2013

The last thing I would do is sell my photographic equipment --I might sell my wife-- but not my E-5 and and my great Olympus lenses.  Are you sure you still have the passion for photography or is just another post on how many excuses there are for dumping Olympus in your case being broke????

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 +6 more
Kurt_K
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?

I don't understand why someone without any posting history would feel compelled to write a farewell post when switching systems. It just doesn't make any sense. If you want to go Canikon, just go; no need to shout it from the rooftops.

DavidH202
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kurt_K, Mar 3, 2013

Kurt_K wrote:

I don't understand why someone without any posting history would feel compelled to write a farewell post when switching systems. It just doesn't make any sense. If you want to go Canikon, just go; no need to shout it from the rooftops.

What I don't understand, is why on earth anyone actually feels compelled to reply to an obvious TROLL post.

pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
That's easy:

Kurt_K wrote:

All this time he felt badly about not saying hello when bought Olympus; guilt ate at him until he finally decided that to remediate it he could at least say good bye.

Kurt_K
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavidH202, Mar 3, 2013

DavidH202 wrote:

Kurt_K wrote:

What I don't understand, is why on earth anyone actually feels compelled to reply to an obvious TROLL post.

And yet you replied to my post to keep the pointless thread going. Aren't forums fun?

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?

Good luck with your new equipment.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-5 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-500 +15 more
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roger Engelken, Mar 3, 2013

Yep short on money but buying L glass and a 5DIII?

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +25 more
dave gaines
Like?
Add the price of camera and 2 telephoto lenses
In reply to jim stirling, Mar 3, 2013

jim stirling wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

... Good luck. The body and those f/2.8 lenses you'll have to buy will cost you a lot more than anything from Olympus. If you were strapped for cash as you say, FF is not a good alternative.

Dave,

That very much depends on where you come from Olympus FT gear is very expensive in the UK and most of Europe for that matter

Jim

UK

... ...

Nikon TOTAL = £4103

Olympus TOTAL = £5155

Hi Jim,

To compare the cost of "FF" vs 4/3 format, you must add the cost of the "full frame" body and a couple of top telephoto lenses. Every time I do this comparison I am convinced of the value and economy of using Olympus gear. I'm more than willing to shoot Olympus within the limits of it's high ISO ability and DR. I'm fine with waiting 3 to 4 years between upgrades. I know I wouldn't replace a 5D MKIII or a D800 any sooner, due to the cost and because these top FF aren't upgraded any faster by Canikon either.

Prices from B&H Photo for easy comparison. Not considering temporary rebates ending tomorrow. The first two lenses from Canon and Nikon do not have VR or OIS. Olympus has IBIS with all lenses.

* Selected best camera for comparison and 5 similar, equivalent lenses (not all cameras and lenses are included in this comparison, but the prices are shown)

• Nikon D4                            $5997
  • Nikon 800D                        $2997*
  • Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 (no VR)   $1997*
  • Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 (no VR)   $1887*
  • Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 ED VR   $2397*
  • Nikkor 200 f/2.0 ED VR II     $5820
  • Nikkor 300 f/2.8 ED VR II     $5599*
  • Nikkor 500 f/4.0 ED VR II     $8399
  • Nikkor 600 f/4.0 ED VR        $9799*

Nikon Total*                                     $24,676*

• Canon 5D mkIII                 $3290*
  • Canon 1D X                       $6799
  • Canon 16-35 f/2.8L (no IS) $1,699*
  • Canon 24-70 f/2.8L (no IS) $2,299*
  • Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II  $2,499*
  • Canon 300 f/2.8L IS II        $6,799*
  • Canon 500 f/4.0L IS II        $10,399
  • Canon 600 f/4.0L IS II        $12,799*

Canon Total*                                    $29,385*

• Olympus E-5 IBIS           $1700*
  • Olympus E-7 IBIS           $1800 ??? w/inflation & improvements
  • Olympus 7-14 f/4            $1799*
  • Olympus 14-35 f/2.0        $2299*
  • Olympus 35-100 f/2.0      $2499*
  • Oly 50-200 f/2.8-3.5        $1299 No Equivalent from Nikon or Canon for Full Frame
  • Olympus 150 f/2.0           $2499*
  • Olympus 300 f/2.8           $6999*
  • Olympus 90-250 f/2.8      $5999 No Equivalent from Nikon or Canon for Full Frame

Olympus Total*                               $17,799*

* Selected camera and lenses for comparison

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
ericnats73
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Add the price of camera and 2 telephoto lenses
In reply to dave gaines, Mar 3, 2013

so true!....+10000

ericnats73's gear list:ericnats73's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-1 +14 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

Kurt_K wrote:

Lots of people, myself include, read many of the posts here each day and only comment infrequently.  You may not know me, but I know many of you through your thoughtful posts.

pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
Fair enough.
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Mar 3, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

Kurt_K wrote:

Lots of people, myself include, read many of the posts here each day and only comment infrequently. You may not know me, but I know many of you through your thoughtful posts.

... but does it sound plausible to you that someone would be reading the forum for a long while without commenting, and then decided to register only to post farewell?

I mean, if you walk past store window every day looking at the display but never speaking to staff, will you one day walk in to let the salesperson know that you decided to buy something from a different store?

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,789
Like?
Re: Add the price of camera and 2 telephoto lenses
In reply to dave gaines, Mar 3, 2013

What about the very popular Canon 100-400mm L lens for $1500 or thereabouts?  With the Canon 7D that will get us out to 640mm EFL maximum.  Looking at the Canon DSLR crop cameras (which are high quality and technologically advanced), that changes your pricing comparison tremendously.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: sweet

...now someone can scoop up your nice gear on the cheap. Have fun cleaning that D800 sensor.

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

dave gaines
Like?
OP is contemplating a FF camera
In reply to Digirame, Mar 3, 2013

In his uninformed hurry to bash Olympus, the OP said he was going to a Full Frame camera to save money. He mentioned the Canon 5d mkIII.

The lens you mentioned compares well to the Olympus 50-200 mm f/2.8-3.5, except that the Canon is slower. Compare that to the E-5 (or E-30 when it was new) and the 50-200 or 70-300 mm.

What are the prices of the Canon camera and lens you mentioned? Minimum apertures?

-- hide signature --

Dave

carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,180Gear list
Like?
jrs91

Please do let us know when you start selling your Oly gear through Ebay.  That E-3 sounds enticing.

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads