SX50...dog action shots...

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: Some with my S3IS to compare...
In reply to lkk324, Mar 3, 2013

lkk324 wrote:

Yep! That is exactly why I got it. I can't afford a big zoom lens and wouldn't want to carry all of that around anyway. I needed a camera to take on vacation and stuff like that and since I was getting another camera I wanted a good zoom! I love my dslr for my kids sports and even out in the yard for dog shots or a trip somewhere close but for vacation and carrying around all day I think its a bit much. I don't want to be changing lenses and missing shots.

Are you feeling better about the action shots now? Are you happier since you changed the colors? You can tweak that more if you want to and play with it till you like it

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

I don't know, while the shots do look better I still think the S3 has a crisper image (in the dog action shots). However when shooting birds I can get a much better quality image than I could with my S3 cause the zoom just didn't go as far. I am hoping this Spring to get out and get a bigger variety of situations in which to take pics to see how it does and of course the more I use it the better I will get at it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Re: More shots added from today...better imo....

lkk324 wrote:

When I was scrolling through the owners manual online I thought I saw a snow setting or something like that???? Did you see that?

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Yes I did see that and I have that on my S3 but I don't use it very often as you can't change many settings in that mode and on nice sunny days it really isn't needed.

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,685Gear list
Like?
Re: More shots added from today...better imo....

lkk324 wrote:

dzyg wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Yes... Those do indeed look much better. Good job.

I was surprised that the camera stopped down to f7.1 and f8 though. Were you in P mode? The lens is sharpest a stop or two wider than that. Did you select those f-stops or did the camera? I notice that even though the ISO was only 80 the shutter speed was still 1/1000. So, it is certainly fast enough. That snow reflects a LOT of light doesn't it!

Anyway. I think you have got it. Have fun... The dogs certainly are!

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale thanks so much for all of your help! I did have the camera in P mode so the camera picked the f-stops. Do you think switching to AV would help if I picked the fstop in these bright snow conditions? Or M so I can pick the shutter speed and fstop? The only problem with doing that is sometimes when the dogs get closer to me I try to get a more closeup of their face and then the setting wouldn't be quite right...which is why I usually pick P mode. I love taking pics of the whiter dog in the snow...she looks so good against it...in the Summer though I have such a hard time getting a good shot of her on a sunny day cause she reflects all the light without the snowy background....sometimes she just glows, especially when she is by the black dog.

When I was scrolling through the owners manual online I thought I saw a snow setting or something like that???? Did you see that?

You can get to that by turning the top knob on your camera to SCN (scene mode)  Then push the func button and you can scroll through all of the various selections.  Some of them are very useful.  The snow mode is the little snowman.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Dale Buhanan
Like?
In reply to dzyg, Mar 3, 2013

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Yep! That is exactly why I got it. I can't afford a big zoom lens and wouldn't want to carry all of that around anyway. I needed a camera to take on vacation and stuff like that and since I was getting another camera I wanted a good zoom! I love my dslr for my kids sports and even out in the yard for dog shots or a trip somewhere close but for vacation and carrying around all day I think its a bit much. I don't want to be changing lenses and missing shots.

Are you feeling better about the action shots now? Are you happier since you changed the colors? You can tweak that more if you want to and play with it till you like it

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

I don't know, while the shots do look better I still think the S3 has a crisper image (in the dog action shots). However when shooting birds I can get a much better quality image than I could with my S3 cause the zoom just didn't go as far. I am hoping this Spring to get out and get a bigger variety of situations in which to take pics to see how it does and of course the more I use it the better I will get at it.

You can always turn the settings up another notch and give that a try.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Mar 3, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Hey Dale.........question............Why the skintone -1? What happens otherwise? Just curious! You know how I like my questions

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Dale Buhanan
Like?

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Hey Dale.........question............Why the skintone -1? What happens otherwise? Just curious! You know how I like my questions

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

The reason is that since you have boosted the saturation, skin tones can now become too orange.  Going to -1 on skin tones corrects the saturation back to where it should be for skin tones.  Orange/red faces do not look that attractive.  Makes sense?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Mar 3, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

The reason is that since you have boosted the saturation, skin tones can now become too orange. Going to -1 on skin tones corrects the saturation back to where it should be for skin tones. Orange/red faces do not look that attractive. Makes sense?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Yup!!! Sure does! The orange look is definitely not a good thing

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 4,065Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50...dog action shots...
In reply to dzyg, Mar 3, 2013

I like your shots of the dogs (by the way, I see they have a genetic peculiarity: their right eye is light blue )!

About your problem, our friend Stephen Ingraham obtained excellent results by shooting in SCN mode, high speed high quality, with focus between frames; in his thread you'll find detailed explanation about the setting...

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads