SX50...dog action shots...

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,484Gear list
Like?
Re: More shots added from today...better imo....
In reply to dzyg, Mar 2, 2013

Yes... Those do indeed look much better. Good job.

I was surprised that the camera stopped down to f7.1 and f8 though. Were you in P mode? The lens is sharpest a stop or two wider than that. Did you select those f-stops or did the camera? I notice that even though the ISO was only 80 the shutter speed was still 1/1000. So, it is certainly fast enough.  That snow reflects a LOT of light doesn't it!

Anyway. I think you have got it. Have fun... The dogs certainly are!

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
In reply to dzyg, Mar 2, 2013

Nice shots but I think you have the right technique to get such good shots from a P&S. However, with your good technique, if you were to shoot in Tv mode and set the ISO to 200 and the shutter to 1600, these shots would be even better.

Did you use the EVF or the LCD for these shots?

I am getting my SX50 back from my nephew next week and cannot wait to play with it some more.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50...dog action shots...
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Mar 3, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

The default settings on the SX50 produce fairly bland, low contrast images to increase the dynamic range and avoid blowing the highlights. To get more pop out of the camera, you want to go into the My Colors menu (func button) and scroll all the way to the end to custom color. Hit DISP to select it and then put contrast +1, sharpness +1, Saturation +1, skin color -1. Leave everything else alone. That should give more pop to you shots. That is how I set my camera up for the same reason. Canon gave us these menues to adjust the camera for how we like it.

It will also be useful for you to set ISO to auto. The camera is intelligent and it will keep it low if it can, but it will increase if needed to get a good shot. Most of the time this works very well.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

I am totally not finding the "custom color" in my colors. I scrolled through and I have the vivid, sepia, b&w, neutral, vivdr vivdb vividg vivid and some other but no custom.....what am i doing wrong????

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Dale Buhanan
Like?
In reply to lkk324, Mar 3, 2013

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

The default settings on the SX50 produce fairly bland, low contrast images to increase the dynamic range and avoid blowing the highlights. To get more pop out of the camera, you want to go into the My Colors menu (func button) and scroll all the way to the end to custom color. Hit DISP to select it and then put contrast +1, sharpness +1, Saturation +1, skin color -1. Leave everything else alone. That should give more pop to you shots. That is how I set my camera up for the same reason. Canon gave us these menues to adjust the camera for how we like it.

It will also be useful for you to set ISO to auto. The camera is intelligent and it will keep it low if it can, but it will increase if needed to get a good shot. Most of the time this works very well.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

I am totally not finding the "custom color" in my colors. I scrolled through and I have the vivid, sepia, b&w, neutral, vivdr vivdb vividg vivid and some other but no custom.....what am i doing wrong????

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

It is the very last icon on the right. It has that big C on it nxt to the one with the big R for vivid red. When you highlight it, it says "Custom Color" In the middle of the screen. Do you see it now?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
lkk324
Like?

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

It is the very last icon on the right. It has that big C on it nxt to the one with the big R for vivid red. When you highlight it, it says "Custom Color" In the middle of the screen. Do you see it now?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

I'm there and there is no C.....grrrrr it just goes right back to the beginning at vivid. I swear Im not totally illiterate here lol

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Dale Buhanan
Like?

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

I'm there and there is no C.....grrrrr it just goes right back to the beginning at vivid. I swear Im not totally illiterate here lol

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Do you have any form of RAW enabled?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

lkk324
Like?

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Do you have any form of RAW enabled?

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

I don't believe so. Im guessing that needs to be done eh? I figured it was something I wasn't doing. Is that somewhere in settings too.....i will hunt for it.

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Dale Buhanan
Like?

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

I don't believe so. Im guessing that needs to be done eh? I figured it was something I wasn't doing. Is that somewhere in settings too.....i will hunt for it.

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

No--- For this to work you need to be in jpg only. RAW stops it from working.

Well, now it is my turn to be utterly puzzled. I have not been able to duplicate tha situation on my camera no matter what I tried. If I can see vivid red, the next one to it on the right is custom color. I have found no way to see vivid red and have custom color turn off. You have me puzzled. I cannot think of any way what you see could happen.

I think at this point, since you camera is new... I would try a reset to factory defaults and try again. If you still can't see it... perhaps I would go get a new camera.

You are in P mode or one of the other creative modes, right??

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

lkk324
Like?

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Well, now it is my turn to be utterly puzzled. I have not been able to duplicate tha situation on my camera no matter what I tried. If I can see vivid red, the next one to it on the right is custom color. I have found no way to see vivid red and have custom color turn off. You have me puzzled. I cannot think of any way what you see could happen.

I think at this point, since you camera is new... I would try a reset to factory defaults and try again. If you still can't see it... perhaps I would go get a new camera.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

YES!!! P mode. I was looking in the manual online and my menu doesn't even go up the side and along the bottom. Its just the regular. I swear its not there. You must think Im crazy lol I will restore to factory....but I really hadn't messed with anything other then setting the date and time!

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

lkk324
Like?

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

YES!!! P mode. I was looking in the manual online and my menu doesn't even go up the side and along the bottom. Its just the regular. I swear its not there. You must think Im crazy lol I will restore to factory....but I really hadn't messed with anything other then setting the date and time!

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

OK OMG....I got it now. Something must have been wonky cuz as soon as I reset it all these options that weren't there before popped up. Very weird. I was beginning to stress haha

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Dale Buhanan
Like?

lkk324 wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Hi Lisa.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

OK OMG....I got it now. Something must have been wonky cuz as soon as I reset it all these options that weren't there before popped up. Very weird. I was beginning to stress haha

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Yaay!!  :))  I am so very glad that worked!  I had run out of ideas to try, ... all except a reset.  Whew!  OK... Now you can set the contrast, etc... and give it a try.  Sleep well... I know I will.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

allenns
Contributing MemberPosts: 664
Like?
Re: It is indeed a great camera for action shots
In reply to NPPhoto, Mar 3, 2013

Just to add took this one with SX50 of my Black lab Retriever running like action man in mid air:

6 mnth old lab in mid air

lkk324
Like?
In reply to allenns, Mar 3, 2013

Just to add took this one with SX50 of my Black lab Retriever running like action man in mid air:

6 mnth old lab in mid air

Adorable!

dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?

lkk324 wrote:

They look good to me! What do you think? Are you happy with them? Did you take a ton? How many were keepers? Now did you have the camera on manual or what?

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

I do think they were better with the changes and I got alot more that I liked than what I posted but in all honesty I think I will probably revert back to my S3IS...oddly enough it seemed to focus faster...This Summer I will probably have the new camera with me only so will get used to using it more....

dzyg
Like?

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I was surprised that the camera stopped down to f7.1 and f8 though. Were you in P mode? The lens is sharpest a stop or two wider than that. Did you select those f-stops or did the camera? I notice that even though the ISO was only 80 the shutter speed was still 1/1000. So, it is certainly fast enough. That snow reflects a LOT of light doesn't it!

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale thanks so much for all of your help! I did have the camera in P mode so the camera picked the f-stops. Do you think switching to AV would help if I picked the fstop in these bright snow conditions? Or M so I can pick the shutter speed and fstop? The only problem with doing that is sometimes when the dogs get closer to me I try to get a more closeup of their face and then the setting wouldn't be quite right...which is why I usually pick P mode. I love taking pics of the whiter dog in the snow...she looks so good against it...in the Summer though I have such a hard time getting a good shot of her on a sunny day cause she reflects all the light without the snowy background....sometimes she just glows, especially when she is by the black dog.

dzyg
Like?
In reply to NPPhoto, Mar 3, 2013

NPPhoto wrote:

Nice shots but I think you have the right technique to get such good shots from a P&S. However, with your good technique, if you were to shoot in Tv mode and set the ISO to 200 and the shutter to 1600, these shots would be even better.

Did you use the EVF or the LCD for these shots?

I am getting my SX50 back from my nephew next week and cannot wait to play with it some more.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Thanks...I often shoot in TV mode but hadn't for these. I always use the EVF, not the LCD cause you can't hold it steady enough with the LCD. I still think these pics are slightly softer than with my S3IS, but better than my first action shots..

dzyg
Like?
In reply to allenns, Mar 3, 2013

Nice shot!

dzyg
Like?
Re: Some with my S3IS to compare...

lkk324 wrote:

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Hmmm they DO look brighter and a bit more crisp but maybe that is just the luck of the draw? Your dogs are adorable btw!! See what happens today. It looks like the S3 pics were from a day when it was a tad sunnier possibly???

I know its frustrating. You are like me. You want the all in one camera to do what you want when you want it. I have a kodak z950 and it takes pretty darn good action shots. I had no idea until I started messing with other cameras that you assume will do better because they are newer technology.

Post some more pics when you get them. I am eager to see if you are liking them better before I go and buy this camera!

lisa

Thats exactly it, I thought this was finally the camera but this dog action problem is bugging me to no end. That is the highlight of our long winter months to get out and take pics of the dogs running through the snow. I was happy with my S3 for these but thought a newer camera would do better. Plus I really don't want to have to use a tripod or monopod.

So far I have liked the camera for the bird pics though...

I made the sharpness/contrast etc changes, will set the ISO to auto and see what happens. I am taking my S3IS out with me too just to compare....will post more pics later today if I can or tomorrow AM.....

Ok....I hope that all helps. lemme know cuz I went and bought one while you were busy snapping pics LOL I will play with it for a few weeks and see. I need to set the colors, sharpness and contrast too cuz I know I wont like it. I need more then just a bird camera....I WANT IT ALL lol

My older camera had the same aperture so I can't imagine why this one wont work....I will try with my dog too but I am not the best at those shots with the dslr yet. Getting better tho.

Good luck!

Congrats on the new camera. If you have a DSLR did you get this camera instead of buying a more expensive zoom lens for that DSLR? Just curious. I would love a DSLR but not wanting to carry heavy lenses around. I wanted something smaller for my fanny pack to take with me everywhere. On my S3IS when I wasn't shooting dog pics I had a 1.7x teleconverter on it so it was kinda long but did fit in my fanny pack. There is a park near our home where I go every day in the non snow months (several times a day actually) and I never know what I might find there from deer to raccoons to Sandhill cranes etc so I always want a camera with me and need one with a good zoom that takes good pics. I was hoping the SX50 was that camera..time will tell I guess.

lkk324
Like?
Re: Some with my S3IS to compare...
In reply to dzyg, Mar 3, 2013

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

Hmmm they DO look brighter and a bit more crisp but maybe that is just the luck of the draw? Your dogs are adorable btw!! See what happens today. It looks like the S3 pics were from a day when it was a tad sunnier possibly???

I know its frustrating. You are like me. You want the all in one camera to do what you want when you want it. I have a kodak z950 and it takes pretty darn good action shots. I had no idea until I started messing with other cameras that you assume will do better because they are newer technology.

Post some more pics when you get them. I am eager to see if you are liking them better before I go and buy this camera!

lisa

Thats exactly it, I thought this was finally the camera but this dog action problem is bugging me to no end. That is the highlight of our long winter months to get out and take pics of the dogs running through the snow. I was happy with my S3 for these but thought a newer camera would do better. Plus I really don't want to have to use a tripod or monopod.

So far I have liked the camera for the bird pics though...

I made the sharpness/contrast etc changes, will set the ISO to auto and see what happens. I am taking my S3IS out with me too just to compare....will post more pics later today if I can or tomorrow AM.....

Ok....I hope that all helps. lemme know cuz I went and bought one while you were busy snapping pics LOL I will play with it for a few weeks and see. I need to set the colors, sharpness and contrast too cuz I know I wont like it. I need more then just a bird camera....I WANT IT ALL lol

My older camera had the same aperture so I can't imagine why this one wont work....I will try with my dog too but I am not the best at those shots with the dslr yet. Getting better tho.

Good luck!

Congrats on the new camera. If you have a DSLR did you get this camera instead of buying a more expensive zoom lens for that DSLR? Just curious. I would love a DSLR but not wanting to carry heavy lenses around. I wanted something smaller for my fanny pack to take with me everywhere. On my S3IS when I wasn't shooting dog pics I had a 1.7x teleconverter on it so it was kinda long but did fit in my fanny pack. There is a park near our home where I go every day in the non snow months (several times a day actually) and I never know what I might find there from deer to raccoons to Sandhill cranes etc so I always want a camera with me and need one with a good zoom that takes good pics. I was hoping the SX50 was that camera..time will tell I guess.

Yep! That is exactly why I got it. I can't afford a big zoom lens and wouldn't want to carry all of that around anyway. I needed a camera to take on vacation and stuff like that and since I was getting another camera I wanted a good zoom! I love my dslr for my kids sports and even out in the yard for dog shots or a trip somewhere close but for vacation and carrying around all day I think its a bit much. I don't want to be changing lenses and missing shots.

Are you feeling better about the action shots now? Are you happier since you changed the colors? You can tweak that more if you want to and play with it till you like it

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

lkk324
Like?
In reply to dzyg, Mar 3, 2013

dzyg wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I was surprised that the camera stopped down to f7.1 and f8 though. Were you in P mode? The lens is sharpest a stop or two wider than that. Did you select those f-stops or did the camera? I notice that even though the ISO was only 80 the shutter speed was still 1/1000. So, it is certainly fast enough. That snow reflects a LOT of light doesn't it!

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale thanks so much for all of your help! I did have the camera in P mode so the camera picked the f-stops. Do you think switching to AV would help if I picked the fstop in these bright snow conditions? Or M so I can pick the shutter speed and fstop? The only problem with doing that is sometimes when the dogs get closer to me I try to get a more closeup of their face and then the setting wouldn't be quite right...which is why I usually pick P mode. I love taking pics of the whiter dog in the snow...she looks so good against it...in the Summer though I have such a hard time getting a good shot of her on a sunny day cause she reflects all the light without the snowy background....sometimes she just glows, especially when she is by the black dog.

When I was scrolling through the owners manual online I thought I saw a snow setting or something like that???? Did you see that?

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads