SX50...dog action shots...

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
dzyg
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
SX50...dog action shots...
Mar 2, 2013

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or add to my other (SX50, not "the" camera) so hopefully a new thread is ok. I got out yesterday in nice bright sunny weather and tried a few more dog action shots with the cam. I wasn't real impressed again. I cannot understand why a S3IS can do better in this type of situation than the SX50. I mean the S3 isn't perfect but I do always get some nice shots even on cloudy dreary days.

I had the continuous AF off this time so it was on shoot only, had the tracking on for some and off for others. I don't see that it made much of a difference. I did have the camera on a tripod with the legs together though and stuck in the snow for stability. I think the tripod helped the most but even then my S3 could do better handheld. I have always had my ISO set on 80 on the S3 and that is what I have done for the SX50 but maybe today I will try to up the ISO and see if that helps at all.

Here are a couple shots...not the nice crisp image I am looking for....

and then just for fun....would have made a cute entry into three in a row...

any advice on the above pics? If I increase the ISO how do I get rid of the extra noise without loosing detail. I only have  Paint Shop Pro and if I try to fix the noise it seems as if I am loosing detail too.....

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lkk324
Regular MemberPosts: 364Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50...dog action shots...
In reply to dzyg, Mar 2, 2013

I think they turned out pretty well honestly! I think they are a little dark so if up your ISO it might help. I am looking at them on a laptop and cant tell if they are noisy or anything. Maybe you could post a pic with the other camera so we could compare!

lkk324's gear list:lkk324's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
In reply to lkk324, Mar 2, 2013

The in-camera processing is obviously different to the one you have become accustomed to with the other camera.  These images you have just posted are really nice and enhance beautifully in software.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,066
Like?

dzyg wrote:

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or add to my other (SX50, not "the" camera) so hopefully a new thread is ok. I got out yesterday in nice bright sunny weather and tried a few more dog action shots with the cam. I wasn't real impressed again. I cannot understand why a S3IS can do better in this type of situation than the SX50. I mean the S3 isn't perfect but I do always get some nice shots even on cloudy dreary days.

I had the continuous AF off this time so it was on shoot only, had the tracking on for some and off for others. I don't see that it made much of a difference. I did have the camera on a tripod with the legs together though and stuck in the snow for stability. I think the tripod helped the most but even then my S3 could do better handheld. I have always had my ISO set on 80 on the S3 and that is what I have done for the SX50 but maybe today I will try to up the ISO and see if that helps at all.

Here are a couple shots...not the nice crisp image I am looking for....

and then just for fun....would have made a cute entry into three in a row...

any advice on the above pics? If I increase the ISO how do I get rid of the extra noise without loosing detail. I only have Paint Shop Pro and if I try to fix the noise it seems as if I am loosing detail too.....

Add contrast and sharpening.

glenncombs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055
Like?

dzyg,

Take a look at Neat Image.  (neatimage.com)  This is what I have used for many years.  It's very friendly, and does an excellent job of improving the noise in photos.  You can customize the settings, and see what the impact will be before you process images.  Buy the full version (not trial, or crippled), and you'll be glad you did.  If they still do business like when I purchased my copy, it will only run on the one PC that you install it on, with their key or license.  No big deal, really.  Just put it on your main PC you operate on, mostly.  Or, you could have multiple copies.  (At added cost)

Again, I like it a lot.  It's very friendly, and it will impress.  I routinely use high ISO settings, even on my G1 X, and then use Neat Image, where necessary on some photos.

Also, for general photo adjustments, I like Faststone Image Viewer.  They have gotten very powerful in feature set in their software, in the last few years.  There have been other posts on the forum in the past month or so, about Faststone software.  It's great!

Try higher ISO settings on the camera, and see how that works out.  Dog shots when they're on the move can be tough, with a great many cameras.  It's mostly in the luck of the timing of the shutter click.  I've got a Wire Haired Fox Terrier that is very fast.  Very frustrating, trying to "capture" him.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Alexander...our wild child
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/GlennCombs/Canon%20S2IS/IMG_2882.jpg
Canon S2, SD880, SD4000, G1 X

dzyg
Like?
Some with my S3IS to compare...

I just think the old Canon S3IS does a much better job on these types of shots...these like any others I have posted are only cropped and adjusted for shadows/highlights/lightened. All of these are in P mode with an ISO of 80...

same image as above but cropped tighter...this tighter crop looks better than what I got on my Sx50

a few more from the S3IS....

one on a dreary day....

lkk324
Like?
In reply to glenncombs, Mar 2, 2013

glenncombs wrote:

dzyg,

Take a look at Neat Image. (neatimage.com) This is what I have used for many years. It's very friendly, and does an excellent job of improving the noise in photos. You can customize the settings, and see what the impact will be before you process images. Buy the full version (not trial, or crippled), and you'll be glad you did. If they still do business like when I purchased my copy, it will only run on the one PC that you install it on, with their key or license. No big deal, really. Just put it on your main PC you operate on, mostly. Or, you could have multiple copies. (At added cost)

Again, I like it a lot. It's very friendly, and it will impress. I routinely use high ISO settings, even on my G1 X, and then use Neat Image, where necessary on some photos.

Also, for general photo adjustments, I like Faststone Image Viewer. They have gotten very powerful in feature set in their software, in the last few years. There have been other posts on the forum in the past month or so, about Faststone software. It's great!

Try higher ISO settings on the camera, and see how that works out. Dog shots when they're on the move can be tough, with a great many cameras. It's mostly in the luck of the timing of the shutter click. I've got a Wire Haired Fox Terrier that is very fast. Very frustrating, trying to "capture" him.

Glenn

-- hide signature --

Alexander...our wild child
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/GlennCombs/Canon%20S2IS/IMG_2882.jpg
Canon S2, SD880, SD4000, G1 X

Glenn....I have a wheaten terrier that I try to get shots of a lot but he is crazy pants!!!! It is hard indeed!!

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
lkk324
Like?
Re: Some with my S3IS to compare...

Hmmm they DO look brighter and a bit more crisp but maybe that is just the luck of the draw? Your dogs are adorable btw!! See what happens today. It looks like the S3 pics were from a day when it was a tad sunnier possibly???

I know its frustrating. You are like me. You want the all in one camera to do what you want when you want it. I have a kodak z950 and it takes pretty darn good action shots. I had no idea until I started messing with other cameras that you assume will do better because they are newer technology.

Post some more pics when you get them. I am eager to see if you are liking them better before I go and buy this camera!

lisa

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,649Gear list
Like?

Greetings,

The default settings on the SX50 produce fairly bland, low contrast images to increase the dynamic range and avoid blowing the highlights. To get more pop out of the camera, you want to go into the My Colors menu (func button) and scroll all the way to the end to custom color. Hit DISP to select it and then put contrast +1, sharpness +1, Saturation +1, skin color -1. Leave everything else alone. That should give more pop to you shots. That is how I set my camera up for the same reason. Canon gave us these menues to adjust the camera for how we like it.

It will also be useful for you to set ISO to auto.  The camera is intelligent and it will keep it low if it can, but it will increase if needed to get a good shot.  Most of the time this works very well.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
lkk324
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Mar 2, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

The default settings on the SX50 produce fairly bland, low contrast images to increase the dynamic range and avoid blowing the highlights. To get more pop out of the camera, you want to go into the My Colors menu (func button) and scroll all the way to the end to custom color. Hit DISP to select it and then put contrast +1, sharpness +1, Saturation +1, skin color -1. Leave everything else alone. That should give more pop to you shots. That is how I set my camera up for the same reason. Canon gave us these menues to adjust the camera for how we like it.

It will also be useful for you to set ISO to auto. The camera is intelligent and it will keep it low if it can, but it will increase if needed to get a good shot. Most of the time this works very well.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Good info! I had to adjust my colors on my dslr so it makes sense that you would have to adjust them on this camera. I was use to kodaks vibrant colors so adjusting that helped!

NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
My suggestion would be to shoot in RAW...

You were getting decent speeds at ISO 80 so I would bump the ISO to 200 and use a higher shutter speed to freeze action. You had plenty of light to do that. If you have something like LR then you should be able to process them nicely and noise would not be an issue at ISO 200. I usually save my LR file as a 6MP file and it shows no noise at all.

-- hide signature --

Nick P

I2K4
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?

I'm still holding the S5is and an SX10is, and expressed the view I don't need another "sunny day" zoomer. While my go to camera is the SX10, I still take out the S5 on overcast days. You might try the exercise of comparing the effect of zoom range on S3 and SX50 maximum aperture - the "trigger points" for closing the aperture tell you a lot about available shutter speed and what's possible for the camera in available light, especially since a tripod may not help with subject action:

Canon TELEPHOTO Av limits
Focal S5is SX10is Ix300
28mm n/a f/2.7 f/2.0
35mm f/2.7 f/3.2 f/2.8
40mm f/2.8 f/3.2 f/3.2
50mm f/3.2 f/3.5 f/4.0
70mm f/3.2 f/4.0 f/4.5
80mm f/3.5 f/4.0 f/5.0
100mm f/3.5 f/4.5 f/5.6
180mm f/3.5 f/5.0 n/a
432mm f/3.5 f/5.0 n/a
480mm n/a f/5.7 n/a
560mm n/a f/5.7 n/a

These are my approximations but you can see going from 100mm out to 432mm (same as your S3) at f/3.5 is a real difference from the newer models with slower lenses - I wish Canon specs or more review sites would provide this information.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
dzyg
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Mar 2, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Greetings,

It will also be useful for you to set ISO to auto. The camera is intelligent and it will keep it low if it can, but it will increase if needed to get a good shot. Most of the time this works very well.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Thanks so much! I have made these changes...will get out in a bit and see how it goes.

shazzaoz
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?

You're doing better than I am with action shots on the SX50.  I like it when things are still, but still struggling with any action, so looking forward to what you find out.

and - love your dogs.  We also have a blonde cocker - she's so quick I even have trouble capturing her with a DSLR!

-- hide signature --

Sharon

dzyg
Like?
In reply to lkk324, Mar 2, 2013

lkk324 wrote:

Hmmm they DO look brighter and a bit more crisp but maybe that is just the luck of the draw? Your dogs are adorable btw!! See what happens today. It looks like the S3 pics were from a day when it was a tad sunnier possibly???

I know its frustrating. You are like me. You want the all in one camera to do what you want when you want it. I have a kodak z950 and it takes pretty darn good action shots. I had no idea until I started messing with other cameras that you assume will do better because they are newer technology.

Post some more pics when you get them. I am eager to see if you are liking them better before I go and buy this camera!

lisa

Thats exactly it, I thought this was finally the camera but this dog action problem is bugging me to no end. That is the highlight of our long winter months to get out and take pics of the dogs running through the snow. I was happy with my S3 for these but thought a newer camera would do better. Plus I really don't want to have to use a tripod or monopod.

So far I have liked the camera for the bird pics though...

I made the sharpness/contrast etc changes, will set the ISO to auto and see what happens. I am taking my S3IS out with me too just to compare....will post more pics later today if I can or tomorrow AM.....

lkk324
Like?

dzyg wrote:

lkk324 wrote:

lisa

Thats exactly it, I thought this was finally the camera but this dog action problem is bugging me to no end. That is the highlight of our long winter months to get out and take pics of the dogs running through the snow. I was happy with my S3 for these but thought a newer camera would do better. Plus I really don't want to have to use a tripod or monopod.

So far I have liked the camera for the bird pics though...

I made the sharpness/contrast etc changes, will set the ISO to auto and see what happens. I am taking my S3IS out with me too just to compare....will post more pics later today if I can or tomorrow AM.....

Ok....I hope that all helps. lemme know cuz I went and bought one while you were busy snapping pics LOL I will play with it for a few weeks and see. I need to set the colors, sharpness and contrast too cuz I know I wont like it. I need more then just a bird camera....I WANT IT ALL lol

My older camera had the same aperture so I can't imagine why this one wont work....I will try with my dog too but I am not the best at those shots with the dslr yet. Getting better tho.

Good luck!

j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,513Gear list
Like?

Very nice photo, thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +18 more
lkk324
Like?
In reply to shazzaoz, Mar 2, 2013

shazzaoz wrote:

You're doing better than I am with action shots on the SX50. I like it when things are still, but still struggling with any action, so looking forward to what you find out.

and - love your dogs. We also have a blonde cocker - she's so quick I even have trouble capturing her with a DSLR!

-- hide signature --

Sharon

I hear ya! My wheaten is so fast I have a hard time tracking him. He is crazy lol My dslr has gotten "some" and I use that term loosely......so I don't have much faith in myself with them and the sx50!! We shall see. Its too darn cold out there for me today.

dzyg
Like?
More shots added from today...better imo....

So I took Dale's advice and made the changes to the contrast/sharpness/etc and put the ISO on auto...here are the results...the camera picked ISO 80 anyway today...I did change it to 200 for a few shots but then back to auto..

The two below I set on ISO 200

lkk324
Like?
Re: More shots added from today...better imo....

dzyg wrote:

So I took Dale's advice and made the changes to the contrast/sharpness/etc and put the ISO on auto...here are the results...the camera picked ISO 80 anyway today...I did change it to 200 for a few shots but then back to auto..

The two below I set on ISO 200

They look good to me! What do you think? Are you happy with them? Did you take a ton? How many were keepers? Now did you have the camera on manual or what?

-- hide signature --

**Lisa**

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads