New SSD....Is it new??

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions
FotoFetish
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
New SSD....Is it new??
Mar 2, 2013

Hello, last week I bought a Samsung 830 256Gb described as new & unused off eekbay. Sure enough it arrived not in a retail box but sealed in an antistat bag, Model # MZ - 7PC256D. The casing is plastic unlike the metal casing on another new 830 I bought that came in a retail box.

Now I'm assuming that the plastic case most likely means that it is a pulled oem drive. Is there any way to tell if it has been used? Thanks in advance.

DVT80111
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174Gear list
Like?
Re: New SSD....Is it new??
In reply to FotoFetish, Mar 2, 2013
 DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361
Like?

FotoFetish wrote:

Hello, last week I bought a Samsung 830 256Gb described as new & unused off eekbay. Sure enough it arrived not in a retail box but sealed in an antistat bag, Model # MZ - 7PC256D. The casing is plastic unlike the metal casing on another new 830 I bought that came in a retail box.

Now I'm assuming that the plastic case most likely means that it is a pulled oem drive. Is there any way to tell if it has been used? Thanks in advance.

I would assume it is good. My MSSD was a chip and it was not sealed. Some manufacturers make tools to see how many times the drive has been written to, Intel comes to mind. I personally would not worry.

drj3
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?

It is probably an OEM drive - these come in some anti static package with little or nothing else.  They are cheaper since there is no packaging, cables etc, but the drives are generally the same as the retail packaged drives.  Not sure why the different case, but Samsung makes drives for many companies and this could just be one of the variations.   Individuals who build computers for themselves or others often use OEM drives, since they do not need manuals, CD's, or instructions.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,191
Like?

FotoFetish wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "pulled" oem drive.  OEM drives are sold often and they are new.  They are just not meant for retail installation so they don't have the fancy packaging, cables, hardware, etc.  So they sell for a lower price.  OEM most likely also means no technical support available since the person installing it is intended to be the type of person that would provide tech support to the buyer of the product the drive is going into.

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812
Like?

you should be able to pull information like hours of use, number of power cycles, etc.  Start with CrystalDiskInfo and see what it says.

FotoFetish
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to kelpdiver, Mar 4, 2013

kelpdiver wrote:

you should be able to pull information like hours of use, number of power cycles, etc. Start with CrystalDiskInfo and see what it says.

Thanks for that, tried it with the ssd in a usb 3.0 dock but the program doesn't see it there. I'll fit it & install W7 on it today if I have time.

Thanks also to the other replies.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709
Like?
In reply to FotoFetish, Mar 9, 2013

FotoFetish wrote:

kelpdiver wrote:

Start with CrystalDiskInfo and see what it says.

....tried it with the ssd in a usb 3.0 dock but the program doesn't see it there.....

Depends to PC and type/brand of SSD.
For read S.M.A.R.T. options the SSD has to be installed at a SATA port 600.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads