D5100 "This memory card cannot be used"

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Questions
M J B
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
D5100 "This memory card cannot be used"
Mar 1, 2013

So, today, after transferring images from my SanDisk 1GB SD card to the computer, via a card reader, I erroneously hit "Delete" and wiped the card before returning it to my D5100. (I didn't know this was a problem at the time.) Once back in the D5100, I promptly formatted the card in the camera, as I had intended and then tried to take a couple shots (the format completed successfully, or at least without any errors being reported). To my surprise, when the camera tried to write the shots from the buffer to the card, I got: "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card."

I've done a fair bit of Google-ing, but the what I've found either says "format the card", update firmware (I'm at A 1.01, B 1.01, and L 1.006), or the situation is one where the SD card itself has failed. As to those scores:

+Card failure is not the case here--I've done numerous read/write/copies/what-have-you on the card via the reader on my computer. I have sucessfully taken shots on the card with my old, old point-and-shoot (a Canon PowerShot A510).

+Firmware is up-to-date, according to the camera menus and the info I can find on Nikon's site.

+I've repeatedly, and allegedly successfully, formatted the card on the D5100. I've removed the card and the battery from the D5100 and tried again. But, after everything, the moment I take a shot with the D5100 and it tries to write from buffer to card, I receive the "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card."

I cannot believe that simply because I wiped the card, rather than leaving the pics intact and then formatting, the D5100 refuses to ever use it again...else how could it ever use a new card? Granted, the card is old, but it still was working fine in the D5100 until I took the images off it, and continues to work fine with the PC and in the old Canon P&S.

Is there something I've failed to try?

Any help would be appreciated!

ANSWER:
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,397
Like?
Re: D5100 "This memory card cannot be used"
In reply to M J B, Mar 1, 2013

See if the little switch on the side of the SD card hasn't been slid to "lock".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M J B
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: D5100 "This memory card cannot be used"
In reply to toomanycanons, Mar 1, 2013

toomanycanons wrote:

See if the little switch on the side of the SD card hasn't been slid to "lock".

No, the SD card is not locked. Sorry I didn't mention above. Thanks, though.

I did troubleshoot with that, too, however: I slid the card to the locked position and the D5100 immediately threw up a message saying the card was locked and it couldn't be used in the locked state. I unlocked the SD card again and was back to square one...could format, but got an error immediately on trying to take a photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,953
Like?
May work
In reply to M J B, Mar 1, 2013

Putting the card back in the reader and doing a full format with your PC OS..then put it back in the camera and format using the camera system. That may work.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,135Gear list
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 1, 2013

Even if it worked i would not take a chance using it. Send it back to sandisk, great company, they should replace it for free.

 pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M J B
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 1, 2013

Gave it a go. Seemed to work.

Full format (not quick), FAT32, renamed the card

When put back in the D5100, this brought up "card not formatted, format card" and "FOR" in the view finder. Went to menu, format card, said was successful. Went, shot the computer screen a few times. The first 4 photos went fine. I then held down for a continuous shot and the "This memory card may not be used" returned. After powering off and back on, I tried another image and even after a single photo, the message was back.

So...perhaps a card failure-type issue after all? At least when trying to send data as fast as the D5100 is? (The thing is still immediately recognized on the PC and I could take the 4 shots of the screen off of it without issue.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,953
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to M J B, Mar 1, 2013

M J B wrote:

Gave it a go. Seemed to work.

Full format (not quick), FAT32, renamed the card

When put back in the D5100, this brought up "card not formatted, format card" and "FOR" in the view finder. Went to menu, format card, said was successful. Went, shot the computer screen a few times. The first 4 photos went fine. I then held down for a continuous shot and the "This memory card may not be used" returned. After powering off and back on, I tried another image and even after a single photo, the message was back.

So...perhaps a card failure-type issue after all? At least when trying to send data as fast as the D5100 is? (The thing is still immediately recognized on the PC and I could take the 4 shots of the screen off of it without issue.)

That does indeed seem to be a card failure. The throughput of the camera is way more demanding than the PC

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M J B
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 1, 2013

Understood. Many thanks for the help trouble-shooting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to M J B, Mar 2, 2013

I'd contact SANDisk for a warranty replacement.  Sounds like media failure, and might just be a coincidence on timing.

 Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Mar 2, 2013

1G card - they don't make them anymore! Get serious, how much does it cost to replace? $2 perhaps for the lot of 4? Just buy a new (decent size) one...

 ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LouCioccio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,612Gear list
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to ZorSy, Mar 2, 2013

Here is a good link:

https://www.sdcard.org/home/

Yes old cards can fail just as new.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

 LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Olympus E-30 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
atigun
Regular MemberPosts: 444
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to LouCioccio, Mar 2, 2013

Do you have the latest D5100 firmware?

Early firmware had a problem with certain cards. It was soon fixed with a firmware update.

-- hide signature --

Atigun valley, a place north in Alaska

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
Re: D5100 "This memory card cannot be used"
In reply to M J B, Mar 2, 2013

I had the exact same problem with 16GB patriot SD cards - no matter what the D5100 and D3200 refuse to read them (formatted on pc, camera, etc...) they work on all my other devices. New Nikons seem to be reluctant to read certain types of SD cards (software coding ?) and has a list of compatible cards on its website. My lexar 64GB high speed cards work like a charm though

M J B wrote:

So, today, after transferring images from my SanDisk 1GB SD card to the computer, via a card reader, I erroneously hit "Delete" and wiped the card before returning it to my D5100. (I didn't know this was a problem at the time.) Once back in the D5100, I promptly formatted the card in the camera, as I had intended and then tried to take a couple shots (the format completed successfully, or at least without any errors being reported). To my surprise, when the camera tried to write the shots from the buffer to the card, I got: "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card."

I've done a fair bit of Google-ing, but the what I've found either says "format the card", update firmware (I'm at A 1.01, B 1.01, and L 1.006), or the situation is one where the SD card itself has failed. As to those scores:

+Card failure is not the case here--I've done numerous read/write/copies/what-have-you on the card via the reader on my computer. I have sucessfully taken shots on the card with my old, old point-and-shoot (a Canon PowerShot A510).

+Firmware is up-to-date, according to the camera menus and the info I can find on Nikon's site.

+I've repeatedly, and allegedly successfully, formatted the card on the D5100. I've removed the card and the battery from the D5100 and tried again. But, after everything, the moment I take a shot with the D5100 and it tries to write from buffer to card, I receive the "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Insert another card."

I cannot believe that simply because I wiped the card, rather than leaving the pics intact and then formatting, the D5100 refuses to ever use it again...else how could it ever use a new card? Granted, the card is old, but it still was working fine in the D5100 until I took the images off it, and continues to work fine with the PC and in the old Canon P&S.

Is there something I've failed to try?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Susant
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: May work
In reply to LouCioccio, 4 months ago

I am also getting the message "this memory card cannot be used". Etc. in my nikon d5100.   I put 3 different cards in the camera and they all give the same message.   The 4 cards all work in other cameras and can be read on a pc and on an ipad.  The cards seem ok so what is wrong with the camera?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads