Pocket Wizard PlusX vs. Yongnuo RF-603

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
Pocket Wizard PlusX vs. Yongnuo RF-603
Mar 1, 2013

At $99 per the new PlusX doesn't seem all that compelling compared to the Yongnuo. There's a couple of nice little extra features, like manual override for the auto detect tx/rx mode and low battery warning but nothing earthshaking. It's a bit bulky and there's no pass-through hot shoe. If you're on a budget the 603 seems a better deal at one-third the cost. If you're a pro the more upscale Pocket Wizard models seem like a smarter way to go.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/01/PocketWizard-PlusX-transceiver-for-wireless-flash-and-camera-triggering

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Zalafoto USA
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: Pocket Wizard PlusX vs. Yongnuo RF-603
In reply to LincolnB, Mar 1, 2013

The Pocket Wizards still the standard and has it's prestige, so you are paying for the name and the reliability. Still, the 603s are also really reliable and great deal for the money.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ScratchDisk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,710
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Mar 1, 2013

I'm not an automatic PW fan (I use Odins), but I bet the latency of the new PW units is far better than the 603s. The 603s are well known to be slow - slower than the 602s, in fact. If you care about keeping your max sync speed, this stuff matters. Cheers

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,670Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Mar 1, 2013

ScratchDisk wrote:

I'm not an automatic PW fan (I use Odins), but I bet the latency of the new PW units is far better than the 603s. The 603s are well known to be slow - slower than the 602s, in fact. If you care about keeping your max sync speed, this stuff matters. Cheers

The PW PlusX goes up to 1/500 for leaf shutters. It seems to have a couple of features over the Yongnuo's, but for me it's difficult to get away from the notion that it's a "budget" transceiver at triple the price.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,117
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Mar 3, 2013

I bought 4 of the 603s for $60. They stack together nicely (slide onto the slot of the next one) and take up little room in the camera bag. They are also nice and low profile on the camera which is nice when shooting handheld. Plus they run on regular AAAs. Finally, with the screwlock PC port on the back, they can be interchanged between studio strobes and hotshoe flashes with little hassle.

As for sync speed, mentioned by someone else, I have seen 1/200 work reliably with Nikon SB600s, Vivitar 285HVs, YN560 IIs, and Alie Bee strobes. 1/250 syncs with some flashes, but not reliably with all.

I don't see the new pocket wizard's being a very compelling option given the substantially lower cost of a number of competitive products on the market (like the 603s.) I believe they are expecting the photographer to pay for the name.

-Suntan

tclune
Contributing MemberPosts: 925
Like?
In reply to ScratchDisk, Mar 4, 2013

I have the 603s and have used them with two different Nikon APS-C cameras and a Nikon full-frame (the D800). It was only the D800 that had a shutter lag problem and needed to be used at 1/150s. I posted this on another site and someone said they had a similar problem with Canons -- the APS-C cameras had no problem, but the full-frame Canon did. That is a pretty scant base of data to extrapolate from, but it is interesting. Have other people had delay problems with the 603s? Have they been on full-frame or DX cameras?

Zalafoto USA
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Mar 4, 2013

LOL! It is a budget trigger in PW world!

I am 100% sure it is a great trigger, but still might be a little steep for those on a tight budget.

-- hide signature --
Zalafoto USA
Like?
In reply to tclune, Mar 4, 2013

That is interesting info! I haven't heard about that issue, yet. I only used them on DX Nikon and had no problem.

-- hide signature --
RobertMartinu
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?
In reply to LincolnB, Mar 4, 2013

LincolnB wrote:

There's a couple of nice little extra features,

Maybe a "hidden extra": at airport security I had much less trouble with PWs then acquaintances carrying equipment with looser tolerances. I.E. they triggered a "device is to far off specs, might have been tampered with" alarm as it seems. Missing your flight (and perhaps the job) has its own price tag.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads