Cheaper Prices on DPMs - What does it mean?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,760Gear list
Like?
To me it means a good deal
In reply to amdme127, Mar 2, 2013

Think about it. A camera giving you medium format class quality (even if its only at the lowest isos) for $800. A good prime lens costs anywhere from $500-$900- the lens alone, and they give you a good lens.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MBenChikh
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: To me it means a good deal
In reply to Raist3d, Mar 2, 2013

You love arguing about nothing in this forum... As I said, the JPY dropped.

I live in Japan, the price is still the same. At the opposite, Apple computer prices increased a little due to devaluation of the JPY.

October 1 USD was 75 JPY

This week 1 USD is 92 JPY

This is exactly the goal of the new government here : a lower JPY to sell more abroad and increase the price of imported goods.

rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,623
Like?
Re: To me it means a good deal
In reply to MBenChikh, Mar 2, 2013

Yes that policy has been in place in the USA for some years now.  Most people are not aware of it.  Via deficit spending, weaken the Dollar making it easier to export and harder to import.

Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
Not the Yen...: Cheaper Prices on DPMs - What does it mean?

Well, I haven't seen the prices of the other Japanese cameras drop other than the Pentax MX-1 and it was only introduced over the past month or so.

For the Pentax, it just isn't selling that well.  Have a wander over to the Pentax forum and see the lack of activity there, and the Ricoh as well.

On the other hand, I haven't seen the Canon, Nikon or Sony prices falling, and also if forum activity is correlated with camera sales, then the new DPs just aren't selling that well.

Lets be frank, for the majority of snappy-happy "photographers, the Sigma DP Merrill is just too much effort.  The relatively poorer High (we're talking 800, 1600 here) ISO performance in low light is not one of its strengths.  In good lighting you're fine, but in less than optimal or low contrast, lets face it, you really have be put in a bit of effort to get good results, and not everyone enjoys using Sigma Photo Pro as much as we do....

I'm blessed or cursed with the DP2 and while I enjoy the output, most of the time its not my go-to camera just because "it is, what it is".

DP2 Merrill at US$1,000 was a bit much for me, given that I find the camera a bit restricted in usability.  At US$800 its tempting, I'll just need to see when and if the $800 pricing is going to be reflected in Hong Kong.

By the way, in Hong Kong the currency is "pegged" or fixed to the US dollar for years where 1$US = HK$7.8, so its definitely not the exchange rates causing the price drop.  Its some attempt to boost sales.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,691
Like?
Re: Not the Yen...: Cheaper Prices on DPMs - What does it mean?
In reply to Rob13, Mar 2, 2013

Prices only fall if you can't sell something at the current price. Sigma has probably tapped out most  of the buyers who are willing to pay $1,000 for the DP1,2M and now want to see if lowering the price will increase sales. If it doesn't you may see prices fall even further (and as long as the Yen is cheaper they can afford too and still make a profit).

One River
Regular MemberPosts: 341
Like?
Re: Cheaper Prices on DPMs - What does it mean?

Nearly all cameras have price reductions. Seems strange that we are singling out this one.

SethG
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?

Rob13 wrote:

On the other hand, I haven't seen the Canon, Nikon or Sony prices falling, and also if forum activity is correlated with camera sales, then the new DPs just aren't selling that well.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

In the US, Nikon dropped the price of the D600 & D800. During the last part of December, they were even offering the D600 with a "free" 24-85 lens, which was basically a 25% discount on the package.

Currently Nikon has relatively large discounts on a number of lenses, without needing to buy a camera, the way their rebates normally work. And Canon, I believe, has a similar lens sale.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Rob13 wrote:

Well, I haven't seen the prices of the other Japanese cameras drop other than the Pentax MX-1 and it was only introduced over the past month or so.

For the Pentax, it just isn't selling that well. Have a wander over to the Pentax forum and see the lack of activity there, and the Ricoh as well.

You have not looked very hard, have you?  As Seth already pointed out, there are loads of price drops across the industry.  Fujifilm dropped the price of their X Pro 1 as well as their recently released X-E1.  There are all kinds of special deals where you can get up to $600 off with lens purchases.

Prices drop all the time with cameras.  They start high and slowly go down with time.

How you are only seeing this now is inexplicable.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
diolus
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
Funny sd15 still $929..

At adorama. Which is how much I paid for it 2years ago.

diolus's gear list:diolus's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,760Gear list
Like?
Calm down...
In reply to MBenChikh, Mar 3, 2013

MBenChikh wrote:

You love arguing about nothing in this forum... As I said, the JPY dropped.

I am not arguing anything, just voicing my opinion. It's not even exactly a back and forth discussion yet- and I didn't even reply to you. Chill.

It's good to know about the JPY and economics, that's cool- good you mentioned it. Still think the DP Merrils at $800 USD are a good deal.

I live in Japan, the price is still the same. At the opposite, Apple computer prices increased a little due to devaluation of the JPY.

October 1 USD was 75 JPY

This week 1 USD is 92 JPY

This is exactly the goal of the new government here : a lower JPY to sell more abroad and increase the price of imported goods.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to amdme127, Mar 3, 2013

It means that they are less expensive now than when they were first released...just like most digital cameras.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, Mar 3, 2013

Why can't it be both the JPY and a desire to sell more cameras? The yen has fallen a load in the last few months (I just got a bunch of backpay from a Japanese employer that would have been worth $400 more back in October when they announced it, ugh), so companies can charge fewer USD and still make the same money. Canon and Nikon don't need to do this, as they already have huge market share and sell plenty of their stuff...but Sigma wants their Foveon cams to really break into the mainstream and has done the - utterly painless in this situation - price drop in order to  do make that happen. Good business logic as far as I'm concerned.

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Non-nonsense
In reply to Laurence Matson, Mar 3, 2013

Laurence Matson wrote:

Which, if any of these or others apply that could drive down or drive up the price from that base in your opinion?

I have personally very little problems with the $1K-ish price of the DP Merrill cameras. I understand why it is in this region, and I am quite sure Sigma really cant lower it if they want to make any profit on the camera.

I said that if the DP1 is perceived as a compact camera, then the price might raise some eye brows. I also said that if it was e.g. $400, then most would accept it and not crave for any lower price. Therefore I think you made the poster an injustice, by claiming so was the case.

Now, all this is not really important, with all those posts and words.

Much more important is to decide if e.g. DP2M is a camera to own.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
jozhua
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Prices going down? Yey!
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 4, 2013

for me, Im just happy that the price is dropping. I can afford it soon enough.

SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny sd15 still $929..
In reply to diolus, Mar 4, 2013

diolus wrote:

At adorama. Which is how much I paid for it 2years ago.

Ah, you have a SD15.... any photos online to share?

I just paid US$623 for a 'refurbished' SD15 from the Sigma US online outlet. The list price everywhere new in US indeed is in the $900 range still when I last looked around.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, a few SD15's)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads