Cheaper Prices on DPMs - What does it mean?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,268
Like?
Re: Nonsense
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 1, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

panpen wrote:

$1k for such limited camera was too much. Not interested in DP1 but DP3 sounds nice. I will wait for the right price on that one too

If there is one consistent complaint on this forum and almost every other at dpreview, it is that the price is too high. When it goes lower, it is still too high. Free is just about right.

No wonder the entire industry is close to tanking.

I dont think you make the poster justice here.

$1K is quite a high priced compact camera.

Now, The DPM cameras are special cameras and the $1K price might be motivated. But, it is quite natural to question such a price.

If it had been $500 or even $400, I dont think many would have objected to the price.

Its like the $2K for the SD1. Its a bit hefty for such a camera. I dont think its unreasonable, considering what it contains. But ... I would not be surprised if the price was questioned.

While $3k for a mere RX1 is fair?

-- hide signature --

The brief pain of taking photos is not important, the joy of viewing excellent photos is everlasting.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,268
Like?
Re: Simple..
In reply to diolus, Mar 1, 2013

diolus wrote:

there are not selling. unless something new was coming out but has anybody heard any rumors of a new sigma camera(maybe Full Frame 72MP) coming out anytime soon..i don't think so.

Early adopters pay more. As time goes price drops. As simple as that. I don't mind being an early adopter when it comes to Sigma cameras... Hopefully, it increases the changes of future cameras...

-- hide signature --

The brief pain of taking photos is not important, the joy of viewing excellent photos is everlasting.

panpen
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
In reply to Laurence Matson, Mar 1, 2013

Laurence Matson wrote:

If there is one consistent complaint on this forum and almost every other at dpreview, it is that the price is too high. When it goes lower, it is still too high. Free is just about right.

You should request to pay double if you feel it's cheap. Wait! Offer them your house for one camera.

Scott Greiff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?
$1899 For SD1 Merrill Also a New Price? [n/t]
In reply to amdme127, Mar 1, 2013
 Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, Mar 1, 2013

PrebenR wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

Sony RX1, Fujifilm X100S? I'm convinced that more will come.

Maybe, but those are exceptions. And the RX1 is very expensive. I assume most will question that price. Even though there might be customers.

Get real! RX1 and X100s are exceptions and DP1M, DP2M and DP3M are not?

Please read what I write instead of just complain about my posts

I have already said that DPM cameras are exceptions.

My point is that higher prices for exceptions are always questioned.

Personally I think $1000 for the DPM cameras is reasonable, taking all into account.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
panpen
Like?

PrebenR wrote:

While $3k for a mere RX1 is fair?

-- hide signature --

And $100k for a BMW M3 is fair? What is your point comparing apples and oranges.

Roland Karlsson
Like?

PrebenR wrote:

The DPs are not common compacts or P&S.

Hmmmm ... it seems you have decided to misunderstand all I write

I take it again ... yes ... they are not common compacts and P&S. Never claimed they were.

I just gives a motivation to why $1K for a compact camera might raise some eyebrows.

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
Re: The price was too high to begin with?

PrebenR wrote:

panpen wrote:

$1k for such limited camera was too much.

Utter BS

It all depends on your point of view. You think $1K is OK. Fine, I can agree. But, I can also understand why it might surprise some.

Roland Karlsson
Like?
Re: Prices do drop
In reply to amdme127, Mar 1, 2013

I am not 100% familiar with foreign prices.

But as far as I know, cameras tend to go down in price after the initial selling spree. And, as far as I know the Sigma cameras tends to go down in price quite early. Its a matter of market forces in play. When the first initial buyers start to thin out, then (if the stores and/or factory have more in stock) the price tends to go down.

Where I live, in Sweden, its more stable. We seldom see the price drops here, for some reasons.

So, if I want to buy e.g. a cheap Pentax K01 (which has dropped LOW in price), I have to buy it from somewhere else. In Sweden it is almost the same price as when it was released.

BTW - the reason for the K01 drop is that it sold very badly. Its discussed in the Pentax SLR forum. Go figure.

Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple..

Wow I paid $949 two weeks ago for the DP2m !...it is still worth the price considering the very good lens attached. Now selling for $799us. For a pocket-able cam with a very good lens and Image Quality (in good light) that can rival $3000 DSLR`s....not too shabby.

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
amdme127
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: What does it mean? The yen dropped 15% the last months!
In reply to MBenChikh, Mar 2, 2013

Good to know, I had no clue about this and makes a lot of sense.

-- hide signature --

Matt
"Knowledge, absolutely sure of its infallibility is faith" -Yevgeny Zamyatin
http://ureye-studio.com

amdme127's gear list:amdme127's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +10 more
amdme127
Like?
Re: Price on Sigma's US Website Also Now Reflects $799
In reply to igluck, Mar 2, 2013

Thank You for the update.

-- hide signature --

Matt

Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +10 more
amdme127
Like?
Re: Simple.. yes
In reply to BobNL, Mar 2, 2013

Production Effectiveness makes a lot of sense too, I didn't consider that.

-- hide signature --

Matt

mordicai
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 2, 2013

Really, I don't know how folks can think the camera is overpriced. What the lens worth? Who owns a higher resolution lens then the 30mm DP2? I have owned lots of very expensive lenses in my life,but never owned a lens with edge to edge, corner to corner sharpness like this. Come on guys..tell me about the all the better lenses you own. The highest resolution sensor I have ever seen for how much??? 500 for the lens 500 for the sensor. I think you guys are nuts.

panpen
Like?
In reply to mordicai, Mar 2, 2013

The lens is worth nothing without the package. Remove it and try to sell it and you'll see

panpen
Like?
One more thing
In reply to mordicai, Mar 2, 2013

Sigma sells a 30mm 2.8 lens for Sony E mount and m4/3 cameras for $99. That comes with caps, a beautiful Sigma case and hood. Cutting down the extras the lens is probably no more than $50. it looks like they are cheap to manufacture

Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,058Gear list
Like?
Non-nonsense
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Mar 2, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

panpen wrote:

$1k for such limited camera was too much. Not interested in DP1 but DP3 sounds nice. I will wait for the right price on that one too

No wonder the entire industry is close to tanking.

I dont think you make the poster justice here.

$1K is quite a high priced compact camera.

Now, The DPM cameras are special cameras and the $1K price might be motivated. But, it is quite natural to question such a price.

If it had been $500 or even $400, I dont think many would have objected to the price.

Its like the $2K for the SD1. Its a bit hefty for such a camera. I dont think its unreasonable, considering what it contains. But ... I would not be surprised if the price was questioned.

Roland,

As I am sure that you know, the major and most consistent cost factor in any digital camera is the size of the silicon. Any device that diverges from that must have a reason.

Let's just say that the launch street price was $1K, which is always excluding VAT.

Divergent factors could be exclusivity, perceived quality, exchange rate between fab and manufacturer as well as between the manufacturer and the price-determining market, which is the USA in this case for the sake of argument. I also imagine there are many other hidden costs or cost-saving points.

Which, if any of these or others apply that could drive down or drive up the price from that base in your opinion?

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"The fact of being reported multiplies the apparent extent of any deplorable development by five- to tenfold" (or any figure the reader would care to supply).
Barbara Tuchman, A Distant Mirror
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,058Gear list
Like?
In reply to panpen, Mar 2, 2013

panpen wrote:

Laurence Matson wrote:

You should request to pay double if you feel it's cheap. Wait! Offer them your house for one camera.

They already own my house, and the rest is nonsense. Coming from the master of the nonsensical answer, that confession and this reply should mean something.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"The fact of being reported multiplies the apparent extent of any deplorable development by five- to tenfold" (or any figure the reader would care to supply).
Barbara Tuchman, A Distant Mirror
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,512
Like?
Re: One more thing
In reply to panpen, Mar 2, 2013
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,602Gear list
Like?
Agree (n/t)
In reply to Laurence Matson, Mar 2, 2013
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads