Does anyone here have the RX100 to go with your NEX?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions
Ttriple
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
Does anyone here have the RX100 to go with your NEX?
Mar 1, 2013

I have the NEX6 and decided to get the RX100 to compliment it due to the rave reviews that this little cam has gotten. If you have the RX100 as well, do you use it more than your NEX? Which one do you prefer more and which one is more fun to use? Is it a good back up camera to the NEX?

Also, do you recommend using a finger strap for the RX100 or any NEX camera? Is it a better alternative to the standard wrist strap? I like this finger strap and this one. Any thought?

Ttriple's gear list:Ttriple's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?
Finger straps are great
In reply to Ttriple, Mar 1, 2013

I don't have an RX100 but I have the Gariz finger strap that can also be used as a wrist strap. Much better than  wrist strap or neck strap with the Nex IMHO. The weight is absolutely no problem to carry above the knuckle. The camera doesn't "dangle' like it does with a wrist strap, it sits close to the palm of your hand. When you raise your hand the camera just falls into place, ready to shoot with your finger in exactly the right position over the release button. Very fast, easy and secure way to carry a Nex.

I didn't know about the finger loops you asked about, but having followed your links, I think either would be good.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hans von der Crone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,286Gear list
Like?
Re:NO

I have a Canon 7D + 1.500kg of lenses to go with it And a NEX5N. But would love a RX100 too.

Hans von der Crone's gear list:Hans von der Crone's gear list
RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Scottsphotos
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone here have the RX100 to go with your NEX?

Ttriple wrote:

I have the NEX6 and decided to get the RX100 to compliment it due to the rave reviews that this little cam has gotten. If you have the RX100 as well, do you use it more than your NEX? Which one do you prefer more and which one is more fun to use? Is it a good back up camera to the NEX?

Also, do you recommend using a finger strap for the RX100 or any NEX camera? Is it a better alternative to the standard wrist strap? I like this finger strap and this one. Any thought?

I've got an RX100 and a Nex-7. The RX100 deserves the kudos its been receiving.  Really great little camera.

To answer your Q's, I use my Nex more than the RX100.  Really because I've concentrated on landscapes and my daughters' volleyball and basketball and the Nex is much better for those.  I use the RX100 for candid's, street shooting, and just everyday stuff.  To me, the Nex-7 is not pocketable and the RX100 can be pocketed in anything (I'm in either jeans or a suit and carry it everywhere)..

All else being equal, and if I had both cameras with me (which happens often), I prefer to use the Nex more because it fits better in my hand and I prefer its controls over the RX100.  But it's apples and oranges, because I'm using the RX100 in situations where I wouldn't normally wish to carry a larger camera like the Nex-7.

I wouldn't say its a good backup camera to the Nex-7 (again because they are not meant to do the same thing (for me)).  I would say its worth it if you are looking for an excellent pocketable P&S.

Scottsphotos's gear list:Scottsphotos's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
RezaTravilla
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?
In reply to Scottsphotos, Mar 1, 2013

i have Nikon D300s, Olympus XZ-1, Sony NEX5n and Sony RX100 

Speak honest, RX100 truly the best compact i ever held. I'm talking about the IQ, for compact camera it delivers an awesome images.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,651Gear list
Like?

I have D800E, Fuji XE1 and RX100. I am about to get a Nex 6 and modify it for IR and Astro.

I find the RX100 is a superb camera. It is the camera I use for video. Its fantastic for video. The steady shot system gives a very stable, non jittery and smooth video base. The sound is great and clear and the zoom works really well to give a smooth zoom in and out. AF works smoothly and in a non distracting way. I haven't used it yet but it also has 60 frame slow motion.

Its a 10 for video and makes the other cameras seem primitive for video.

As far as IQ goes its really surprisingly good. Its low light performance is good but nowhere near the other 2 cameras which are superb (of course the D800E is the best).

The lens is very sharp. I did  a shoot out between D800E , Fuji XE1 and RX100. RX100 was sharper than XE1 wih 18-55 zoom but about the same with the really sharp Fuji 35mm F1.4

Greg.

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?

Yes, I'm another one who has both a NEX-7 (as well as an original NEX-5) and now an RX100 as well. If I have both with me, I'd normally use the NEX, most often with the SEL18200. But there are many occasions when I want a smaller, more discreet and silent camera, and for those occasions, the RX100 is a great substitute. Obviously the ultimate image quality isn't as good, but it's closer than you might expect.

As with the NEX-7, I usually shoot in RAW and process using DxO. The UI is similar, and the RX100 even has some advantages, including three memory settings and a more sophisticated multi-frame noise reduction mode. Many other multi-frame features, such as sweep panorama and Anti-Motion Blur, are exactly the same.  The Function button is also nifty, though I miss the NEX-7's Tri-Navi controls.

If you shoot in RAW, there's also a trick to make the wide end of the lens wider, to about 25mm equivalent, rather than 28mm. This is possible because the RAW image is very distorted at the wide end, and while correcting the geometry, the camera (and most RAW converters by default) crops it to maintain the 3:2 aspect ratio. If you work with the RAW, you can avoid this in some converters to get a wider uncropped image. Here's an example of one of those wider-angle shots: 

An example of a wider-angle RX100 shot, processed from RAW using DxO

This is the ooc JPEG version of the same RX100 image. Note that the girl in a red jacket has been cropped out.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Re: Finger straps are great
In reply to Mike Fewster, Mar 1, 2013

Mike Fewster wrote:

I don't have an RX100 but I have the Gariz finger strap that can also be used as a wrist strap. Much better than wrist strap or neck strap with the Nex IMHO. The weight is absolutely no problem to carry above the knuckle. The camera doesn't "dangle' like it does with a wrist strap, it sits close to the palm of your hand. When you raise your hand the camera just falls into place, ready to shoot with your finger in exactly the right position over the release button. Very fast, easy and secure way to carry a Nex.

I didn't know about the finger loops you asked about, but having followed your links, I think either would be good.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

That strap sounds awesome. Link please?

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?

I have a NEX7 and since a few weeks an RX100. I use both. I take the RX100 for travel when small counts.

But i love to shoot with the NEX and use different lenses.

I use a wrist strap for the RX100 and the standard neck strap for the NEX.

Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 650Gear list
Like?

I have both. Obviously I prefer the NEX, but I love the RX100, it goes everywhere with me, takes great photos and a lens that would cost $1200 on the NEX system. The 24-100mm 1.8 is pretty versatile but not for every shot, just most of the ones I'd be taking. Its excellent in low light, the NEX is better. RX100 can go from good macro to zoom and fit in your pocket and beat out every point and shoot, that's its advantage. Its a mini NEX at the cost of a lens. (I got mine cheaper from dings)

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?
In reply to Section10, Mar 1, 2013

I have both NEX 6 and RX100. I always have RX 100 with me but if I am planning to go somewhere to take pictures I usually use NEX. IQ of RX 100 is very good though.

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

mx5002
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
In reply to Ttriple, Mar 2, 2013

i have the nex-7 and the rx-100. i use the rx-100 more often because i carry it with me everywhere and leave the nex-7 for special occasions. in good light, the rx-100 comes close to matching the nex-7 at normal viewing distances. i will always carry a rx-100 or its successor in the future so that i  never miss a photo opportunity.

linetest
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
In reply to mx5002, Mar 2, 2013

If the RX-100 comes out with an EVF, I'll probably sell my NEX stuff as it will be the best package for me. Right now, I use the NEX 5n with 18-200 or fisheye. I tried the EVF on the 5n, but it really is a kludge set up. Other than long range or specialty lens, everything else is done with the RX-100. So for all the money I spent with the NEX and lenses, it is now the backup to the RX-100. I like the 100 that much.

Mike Fewster
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Mar 2, 2013

Kalabalik wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

I don't have an RX100 but I have the Gariz finger strap that can also be used as a wrist strap. Much better than wrist strap or neck strap with the Nex IMHO. The weight is absolutely no problem to carry above the knuckle. The camera doesn't "dangle' like it does with a wrist strap, it sits close to the palm of your hand. When you raise your hand the camera just falls into place, ready to shoot with your finger in exactly the right position over the release button. Very fast, easy and secure way to carry a Nex.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Here is the one I have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARIZ-Leather-Wrist-Finger-Strap-Black-Red-XS-WFSN2-M43-Sony-NEX-Lumix-Olympus-/181067778496?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2a287b09c0

While it is versatile to be able to use it as either a wrist strap or finger loop, it does leave a bit of strap that has to be coiled into your hand when you use it as a fingerloop. If you look at the diagrams at the link I gave you will see why this happens. It's not much of a problem, but having tried a fingerloop I'd never use a wrist strap or neckstrap again with these cameras so its a bit of a waste. I think the models referred to in the links from the OP (these weren't on the market when I got mine) might actually be better. The shape of the Nex cameras also makes then perfect to carry like this. Your finger tips just curl slightly around the battery bulge when you are walking with your hands free. You simply raise your hand and tighten your fingers and you are in shooting position. You can do it one handed.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,091Gear list
Like?
Re: Guys...

Isn't the RX100 sharing its 1" sensor with the Nikon V/J1?

I remember lots of complaints about the V1, poor low light performance, largish DOF, but very fast AF.

I don't see the RX100 as any different. If you want a sharp, large DOF, shot, the smaller sensor wins. But when lights drop, or when you want a creative shot, or try to isolate your subject, better bring your Nex, and a fast lens, that is.

The RX100 is very good as a P&S, but not as a Nex replacement, nor as a backup camera. Plus I am not fond of large DOF when not needed.

Still, the RX100 is amazingly compact, just hold it next to a S100, with a much smaller sensor.

I used to keep an S95 handy, but realized that, most of the time, the cellphone is good enough. For those other times I bring the Nex.

Maybe if the RX100 wasn't quite as expensive ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Mike Fewster
Like?
Re: Guys...
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 2, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Isn't the RX100 sharing its 1" sensor with the Nikon V/J1?

I remember lots of complaints about the V1, poor low light performance, largish DOF, but very fast AF.

I don't think so. I understand it is an Aptina senor in the Nikon 1. That's why todays DPR news about Sony?Aptina opening their patents to each other is so interesting. Check the thread currently running on this.--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Ttriple
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Fewster, Mar 2, 2013

Mike Fewster wrote:

Kalabalik wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Here is the one I have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARIZ-Leather-Wrist-Finger-Strap-Black-Red-XS-WFSN2-M43-Sony-NEX-Lumix-Olympus-/181067778496?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item2a287b09c0

While it is versatile to be able to use it as either a wrist strap or finger loop, it does leave a bit of strap that has to be coiled into your hand when you use it as a fingerloop. If you look at the diagrams at the link I gave you will see why this happens. It's not much of a problem, but having tried a fingerloop I'd never use a wrist strap or neckstrap again with these cameras so its a bit of a waste. I think the models referred to in the links from the OP (these weren't on the market when I got mine) might actually be better. The shape of the Nex cameras also makes then perfect to carry like this. Your finger tips just curl slightly around the battery bulge when you are walking with your hands free. You simply raise your hand and tighten your fingers and you are in shooting position. You can do it one handed.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I also have the same Gariz wrist/finger strap that you'd mentioned above. However, I took it off my NEX and replaced it with a Gariz marshmallow strap because the leather felt uncomfortable and rigid. When using as a finger strap, there is a lot of strap that has to be coiled into the palm of your hand which also made it very uncomfortable. My concern with finger straps is that the camera might slip off your finger more easily than it would with a wrist strap. Do you feel less secure using a finger strap than a wrist strap?

Ttriple's gear list:Ttriple's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
kazkioken
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?

Like many I have multiple NEX bodies and the RX100.  Posting 4 examples of the kinds of things I shoot mainly to point out that to me, I often have a problem knowing which camera took what picture unless there is obvious razor thin depth of field in which case only a certain kind of lens took the picture.  And that is basically a testament to how good the RX100 is - it's basically on me 24/7 in a bag or in my pocket unless I am somewhere I can carry something larger.  Buy both there is surely a need for something small and capable as well as slightly larger and more capable.

RX100

Voigt 15 on NEX7

Voigt 35 1.4 on NEX7

heavily cropped RX100...pixels are always great to have

-- hide signature --
Mike Fewster
Like?

Ttriple wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

Kalabalik wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Here is the one I have

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

I also have the same Gariz wrist/finger strap that you'd mentioned above. However, I took it off my NEX and replaced it with a Gariz marshmallow strap because the leather felt uncomfortable and rigid. When using as a finger strap, there is a lot of strap that has to be coiled into the palm of your hand which also made it very uncomfortable. My concern with finger straps is that the camera might slip off your finger more easily than it would with a wrist strap. Do you feel less secure using a finger strap than a wrist strap?

I felt that the finger strap was more secure than a wrist strap. With a wrist strap the camera flopped about and I was always concerned about the camera bangin g into things, then I generally had to use my left hand as well to move the camera into my hand when I wanted to shoot.

With the finger strap, the camera always felt secure. To me, it has never felt like coming off. When walking with my hand open and the finger strap on, the natural curl of my fingers seems to prevent the strap coming off any way however the loop has always remained tight on my finger.

I agree about the extra length on that Gariz strap having to be coiled in the hand. This got better as the leather softened up. I thought about cutting a b it off it but didn't bother. As I said, the loops that the OP asked about that are just finger loops are probably better, but I haven't tried these.

It might be just me, on my A900 I really dislike neck straps and prefer a well set up wrist strap that keeps the camera locked to my hand in shooting position. I am used to carrying a camera like this so possibly I am a bit biased in favour of the loop approach.These are a bit different to the wrist straps for the Nex which let the camera dangle freely.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

FredCDobbs
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Fewster, Mar 3, 2013

Glad to see there is some remedial action to be had from a body design that is so negligently slick and rounded it almost guarantees a future drop on a very expensive camera. I love my NEX7 and would consider this to be an excellent candidate for a backup; but since bouncing a Canon s90 on the concrete a while back, I am very conscious of keeping expensive camera toys in hand.

Unfortunately, I've been the recipient of a wrist reconstruction operation and my dominant hand is not what it used to be, hence my love for the design of the NEX and it's wonderful hand grip.

If I get a 100, It will be the recipient of some kind of grip enhancing tape that allows for a more secure purchase of the body. In addition to tape, there is a rubberized paint one can use to put, for example, a rubberized grip on a metal tool by simply spraying on the material. There is also one that involves dipping which would not be appropriate for cameras for obvious reasons.. I think that might work with some judicious masking off of the camera parts you don't want to cover.

I just do not understand how someone designs a $600 camera with  severely rounded sides and a smooth slippery body.

It seems like using the stick on hand grip manufactured for this camera is a minimum reasonable precaution to take

FredCDobbs's gear list:FredCDobbs's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-7 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads