I want to "delete" all but the center point from the viewfinder on 6D - can I?

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
I want to "delete" all but the center point from the viewfinder on 6D - can I?
Mar 1, 2013

I can turn off all but the center point (from seeing them and from using them) on the 5DMIII, but I cannot find a way to do it on the 6D. Please tell me how to do it if it can be done. Thanks, Bill

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,897Gear list
Like?
Re: I want to "delete" all but the center point from the viewfinder on 6D - can I?
In reply to billorg, Mar 1, 2013

Page 91 on the manual.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300009238/01/eos6d-im-en.pdf

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,695Gear list
Like?
Re: I want to "delete" all but the center point from the viewfinder on 6D - can I?

Have people stopped reding instruction manuals?

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to biza43, Mar 1, 2013

biza43 wrote:

Have people stopped reding instruction manuals?

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Yep, too busy starting multiple threads about the same subject by the looks of it.

The amount of "how do i" threads on here these days leads me to believe people want others to teach them how to use their equipment rather than make any effort to learn themselves.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
George Spencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 544Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Mar 1, 2013

The manual doesn't tell you how to "delete" all but the center point from the viewfinder does it? It tells you - in effect - how to make the center point dominent.  But that isn't exactly what the OP is asking.

George Spencer's gear list:George Spencer's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Leica M8 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS 6D
myphotographic
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
In reply to George Spencer, Mar 1, 2013

The 5DIII uses a type of transmissive LCD to overlay the focus points and other on-demand information,. The 6D doesn't feature this technology so I'm guessing the AF points can't be hidden.

-- hide signature --

Paul

biza43
Like?
In reply to George Spencer, Mar 1, 2013

George Spencer wrote:

The manual doesn't tell you how to "delete" all but the center point from the viewfinder does it? It tells you - in effect - how to make the center point dominent. But that isn't exactly what the OP is asking.

I am sorry, the manual is very clear on selecting AF points: "the selected AF point will be displayed in the viewfinder and on the LCD panel". So, if you are in single point selection, only the AF point you select will be visible, or light up, when you AF.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
billorg
Like?
Please read and understand my post before bashing!
In reply to biza43, Mar 1, 2013

Do you really think after all these years I would come here without first reading the manual, searching Google and other sources?  YOU ARE THE ONES who need to READ MY POST before you tell me it's all in the manual, because most of you have no idea what I am talking about here!

My 5DMIII shows ONE SQUARE in the center of the VF - not just a center one that lights up when I shoot, but ONE PERIOD.  My 6D is set to use only the center point (lights red when in use) but it STILL SHOWS ALL THE OTHER POINTS/BLACK SQUARES in the VF that are not being used.  I want to set it so the unused points are not all showing in the VF.

If anyone took the time to read my posts on this, they wouldn't complain that I had 2 posts on here trying to explain it so people would understand me!  I also started out by saying I assumed it couldn't be done, and so far from your answers, it looks like I was right to begin with.

Bill

billorg
Like?
Thank you George Spencer and myphotographic!

for understanding what I needed to do.

Bill

Gary P
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: Thank you George Spencer and myphotographic!

END OF LINE...

-- hide signature --
Andre Affleck
Senior MemberPosts: 2,025
Like?
In reply to myphotographic, Mar 2, 2013

Yes, I believe the 6D uses the more traditional technology similar to the 5DII. The AF squares are etched into the view screen material. So you are out of luck.

If you really want to get rid of them you could probably order a custom view screen that only has one AF square. Brightscreen used to be a great source, but I think they went out of business. Do they really bother you?

biza43
Like?
Re: Please read and understand my post before bashing!
In reply to billorg, Mar 3, 2013

billorg wrote:

Do you really think after all these years I would come here without first reading the manual, searching Google and other sources? YOU ARE THE ONES who need to READ MY POST before you tell me it's all in the manual, because most of you have no idea what I am talking about here!

Well, you only made it clear what you wanted now, at least for me. And I was not bashing, I was actually very polite.

My 5DMIII shows ONE SQUARE in the center of the VF - not just a center one that lights up when I shoot, but ONE PERIOD. My 6D is set to use only the center point (lights red when in use) but it STILL SHOWS ALL THE OTHER POINTS/BLACK SQUARES in the VF that are not being used. I want to set it so the unused points are not all showing in the VF.

Well, most likely, if it is not in manual, chances are that it is not possible... stiil, with such obscure question, why don't you contact Canon service centre directly? They should know...

If anyone took the time to read my posts on this, they wouldn't complain that I had 2 posts on here trying to explain it so people would understand me! I also started out by saying I assumed it couldn't be done, and so far from your answers, it looks like I was right to begin with.

Bill

Well, that should tell you that you were not being very clear...

Good liuck.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads